opinion-please read all

Speak up or not

• Keep your nose out of it

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Speak up

Votes: 228 93.1%

• Total voters
-
I have of been following this thread, but may have missed some responses, but in the world of buying and selling is it not up to the buyer to do the due diligence before purchasing anything? I try and make myself informed of whatever info I need before I make a decision. If it means asking the seller for clarification, so be it. If the seller can't answer the questions, flags go up, I don't buy. It's a big problem in real estate to get correct info on properties, but that is a whole new topic!

happy capitalism!

:cheers:

I don't see any problem with asking questions about a part if you think it was discribed wrong.
We have a lot of younger members and others that are just starting out restoring, rebuilding, and such.
If one of the member that has been doing this for a while sees something in question and asks about it . It might help one of the new people form buying something they really don't need.

Dustoff and Plumcrazy;My hat is off to you.Not once did you degrade anyone.You are the stand up people.I dont know the guy that posted on craigslist or ebay or wherever the posts were on.But I do know that he had no recourse to what was being said about him.to me that is unacceptable.If you are going to drag him through the mud at least have the decency to let him post here also.As far as a scam?I believe that was Very loosely thrown out there and hardly worth the effort.

Our primary concern with that rule was to prevent people posting more subjective things like "no way that's worth what your asking" or something like that. I have no problem with you simply correcting an actual error.

Trying to determine what is a subjective vs objective comment is subjective in itself. There's a grey area right there.

I see two choices:

1) Reply function disabled for all to For Sale ads

2) Say what you want replying to for sale ads, but follow general posting rules about courtesy and conduct.

That said I have to get this off my chest somewhere appropriate.... To the guy doing FABO a favor by offering used std bore 340 pistons and rods for only $250... You're a ding dong.

Trying to determine what is a subjective vs objective comment is subjective in itself. There's a grey area right there.

I see two choices:

1) Reply function disabled for all to For Sale ads

2) Say what you want replying to for sale ads, but follow general posting rules about courtesy and conduct.

That said I have to get this off my chest somewhere appropriate.... To the guy doing FABO a favor by offering used std bore 340 pistons and rods for only $250... You're a ding dong.
To the first-Joey is correct,if the fit is in question by all means help the guy out.If the price is in question PM.If you can agree to a price Great,if not,noone has been hurt.Dont believe that i remember the pistons and rods ad but;wouldnt it be more appropriate to pm this guy and talk to him?Maybe he just doesnt know what they are worth.But then again maybe he does.And who knows maybe you will make a friend.

shocked to see this go this many pages.

if anybody doesn't get thats it's ok to look out for one another then maybe you should take/keep your scams on ebag

the good news is, according to the poll numbers less than 10% of FABO members are self proclaimed scum bags

the bad news is, it's not zero%, and the numbers are climbing

I believe that you were right to step in and say what you did. I am just a college kid with very little money to put into my dart and I have been ripped off by people who misinform others about the parts that they are selling. A local mopar guy screwed me on an aluminum intake. In short he told me that it wasn't milled and it was, when we informed him of this he basically said you bought it and now it is yours. If anyone knows that someone is misinforming about their parts I think that it is their duty to say something in a respectful manner to avoid a future problem. As a young person in the car hobby it has been really helpful to have found this website for information and parts, where there are strangers who unknowingly look after you by catching these mislabeled parts. But that is just my .02

If it weren't for the old guys stepping in and helping me out with what I thought I knew, I would now just be an old guy who didn't know crap.

I say, better to speak up and get things cleared up.

To Joey and the group: Before anyone else posts to this thread PLEASE take the 45 minutes or so necessary to read ALL 5 pages of comments that have been made. This thread CLEARLY illustrates why the "for sale" section should NOT be open to unrelated posts.

It is filled with mis-information and arguments totally unrelated to the actual facts in this particular incident. Even I, in my first post, was uninformed and just "piling on".

I don't know either party in this dispute so, after reading the entire post, I feel I can offer a pretty fair interpretation of what happened:

Fishy started this "opinion thread" with a very general question framing him as a "nice guy who respectfully pointed out a mistake in a listing." He suggested that we should be able to call out mistakes, etc.

Most of us (including me) agreed with him. Mistakes SHOULD be pointed out.

Unfortunately there are two sides to every story, and it was several pages into this post when we heard the OTHER side:

The "listing" Fishy referred to was posted by GTS, who listed a set of 73 340 manifolds WITH THE CORRECT PART NUMBER as "73 hy-po manifolds". The "mistake" that Fishy alleges is that they "look like 318 manifolds and that there were no 'hy-po' manifolds in 73"

So this changes the equation a bit! Should someone who disagrees with your posting be able to rebut your info and make you defend it on your "for sale' post?

In THIS case, Fishy is wrong. The "mistake" you pointed out doesn't exist. GTS admits that pics would have helped allieviate the misunderstanding, BUT a 73 340 was considered to be a "hipo" motor for that year and the correct part number manifolds for a 73 340 are "73 Hypo" manifolds. Fishy is a victim of the common vernacular of "hypo" manifolds ONLY being the 68-70 ones (thus the misunderstanding) but GTS's post was not misleading, ripoff, or even incorrect. And by the way: 318 manifolds LOOK the same but they ARE different and have a different part number.

With all due respect Fishy: If GTS had listed 73 340 manifolds as correct for a HEMI, you would have a case, but if you PMed to MY post in this situation, my response would have been the same.

The issue of mistakes in the part number books has been raised. It's a moot point here. The part numbers for 73 manifolds are correct in the book and again CHRYSLER deems the 73 340 as a "HYPO" engine for that year.

SO! Even though there was no "mistake", this post deteriorated into the inevitable arguments about overpricing, ebay ripoffs, and (WHAT A SURPRISE!) we are calling each other names and being disrespectful.

You can put ANY STATEMENT on ANY annoymous internet board and someone will dispute it. It just doesn't need to get to this on a "for sale' forum. That's why other boards don't allow it either. And again, posters should be able to pull down their thread after the item is sold.

I'll close with my favorite example: We've all heard (and laughed about) the woman who spilled coffee on herself and sued McDonalds for 1 million dollars. It's ABSURD, right??

It is until you look at the actual facts in the case: The McDonalds in question had been cited by the state several times for a faulty coffee machine. The coffeemaker apparently heated the brew to 210 degrees (just under boiling) instead of the industry standard of 160. Several customers had complained in writing to the management.
An elderly woman came through the drive-through, bought the coffee and the window attendant didn't seal the lid properly. It tipped over into the woman's lap causing third degree burns, requiring skin grafts and many weeks of hospitalization. (and HUGE medical expenses)

We laugh about "pain and suffering" as a cliche. This was the textbook legal defination of an injury inflicted by negligence (McDonalds knew about the problem and didn't correct it). What if it had been YOUR MOTHER?

The moral? Look at both sides of an issue and ALL the facts before making an uninformed decision and piling on with the crowd. Again, I was guilty of this too.

I think from time to time there is a tad bit to much drama on FABO over the little things and sometimes things get blown out of proportion and then gather to much attention which does not help matter much in certain situations.

rather someone was right or wrong on there post or someone called them out on it.....just so long as it does not turn into and argument....it should only help that persons sale .....for one, if the person is wrong and someone chimes in, that will help potential buyers feel more confident in what they are buying is in fact what they need.

and two being, if someone is right and called out for being wrong and others chime in and say that infact the person was right to begin with in describing the item for sale.....it will only make potential buyers feel that much more confident in the item they are looking at purchasing.

I think a little friendly chiming in is no harm.....but if it turns into a big debate IN THE THREAD....it could possibly scare buyers away.

BUT I don't really see how that is up to Joey and the mods to regulate , as there are already rules posted that people SHOULD abide by to an extent and its up to the seller/buyer/person chiming it to use there own common sense to keep things cool and to a minimum and to exercise the option of discussing things via PM.

I don't see how anyone here in this situation is a "bad guy" for doing what they did and I think everyone should "shake virtual hands LOL" and move on and learn from it and maybe take a different avenue in confrontation in the future.

hope all is well guys and that the air is clear and everyone holds no hard feelings towards one another with how things went down.

JUST MY OPINION on the hole situation

-
Back