Opinions on 360 vs 440

-
Yup just going to LS it . I’m going to take the “advice” of the wife and just drive the car as is for a year and see how things go. Thanks for all the input, seems like general consensus is keep the small block in it. Wish I could take a ride in a well setup 440 a body to see how it is.

Yup just going to LS it . I’m going to take the “advice” of the wife and just drive the car as is for a year and see how things go. Thanks for all the input, seems like general consensus is keep the small block in it. Wish I could take a ride in a well setup 440 a body to see how it is.
Build it man, people are recommending you stroke the small block…to less cubic inches than the 440 you already have built. Sounds like a long, expensive road to less horsepower to me. No replacement for displacement.

Unless it’s gonna be a track car I’d stick with the small block. You can pull a ton of horsepower and torque outta that 360. Plus you don’t add weight and accessibility to wrench on it. The 440 would be much nicer in a RR or SuperBee in my opinion.

IMHO, big blocks are for trucks, motorhomes and drag racing. For street cruising and track days a snappy small block is a better option. In an A body a big block is kind of over powering the chassis. Yes many are out there, but just my opinion. The small block fits easier and is lighter. Now with Al heads and intake you probably remove 100 pounds off the front end which would bring it closer to the weight of a small block in all Fe. That said, a small block with Al intake and heads will be reduced in weight close to the same amount.

My friend has a 69 Dart with a 440. I helped him make the swap. He got rid of the power steering and power brakes, If I remember correctly he got the headers from Schumacher, this was over 10 years ago. Those headers where easier to install than my Hooker headers in my 360 Duster, I have power breaks and ps. I love his car, he works on it without much trouble. I curse how tight everything is at the drivers side in the engine bay with the headers and pb and ps and a 360.

-
Back