opinions on stroker kit?

Which stroker kit?

• 416 Cast crank

Votes: 49 57.0%
  • 372 Forged crank

Votes: 37 43.0%

• Total voters
-
$6950 is pretty cheap for what that motor is.

When you get you quote, ask him how much to compleatly build it for you and dyno it. It will be more then that!

It's more fun to get your hands dirty and do it you self!

What is the power limits of a 340 block? What can I push before she cracks? I don't remember what year of block i have but I do remember it being older than the car so that puts it pre 71'. I'm not talking about internals here, only block strength. If it won't hold to much over 500 than I don't see the point of a forged crank to last to 750.

I started my 408 build in 2005.Hyper pistons,worked Eddy heads(home ported,280 cfm @ .500 to.550 lift. 260@ .050 hydraulic flat tappet cam.Only work subbed out was bore,hone ,align hone/studs,and balance.I had 6400 in it ,when it lit.(2006)MRLs price is a steal.Machinist's tools,shop maintence,and equipment upgrades don't come free.

Clicking on that site from the first post, It looks like rings and bearings are optional and not included. Good rod and main bearings plus file fit rings are going to add a few more dollars to that build.

I have witnessed a Mech roller,Eddy ported head(just shy of 300 cfm @ .550 to 600).Basically a well.blueprinted S/S mill.Stock rods,stock crank,old arias pistons,the 70s) .it ran 1170s.Starting spraying,with a tunnel .
2 seriously reworked 110 red plates,(10,000rpm,,love the hammels!) worked it to 10.30s @ 131. This is not an experience,project, or buy what you can.Only experience will get you there.

I believe you guys have helped me narrow it down and I decided to go with the Scat cast 416 kit with forged dished pistons. Still waiting on word back on my block from the machine shop. They said sometime mid week they would get to it. If for some reason I get bad news back on the block I'll be looking to go the new Gen Hemi, Maybe get one from a salvaged pickup or something.

I don’t see why I can’t get my 416 short block assembled for somewhere in the ballpark of $2000. The car already has 1-3/4 TTI headers, Edlebrock heads, Crane rockers & rods, edlebrock air gap intake, Demon 750, and I’m assuming I can still reuse the same cam I had in it as well. So besides the cost of the short block I’m only really looking at gasket cost to put everything back on.

Still more than I was hoping for, but I need to get it done, it is holding up my other project that I had plan to start but got pushed back because this popped up.

Ill let yea know.

Which edelbrock heads you have, the open chamber 340 version or the closed chamber 360 version?

Which edelbrock heads you have, the open chamber 340 version or the closed chamber 360 version?

They are closed chamber, wasnt even aware Edlebrock made an open chamber for the small block mopars.

Also if for some reason the build looks like it would even come close to topping 3 grand I'll could just dump it and pick up the 440 the machinist has sitting on the show room floor ready to go.

Get those pistons zero decked, use some 1008 felpro head gaskets, and bolt it together.

I went a different route than most and i ordered each individual piece from different places. I bought certain things from E-bay suppliers,which tend to undercut Summit,Jegs and others. 418"s Based on my 71' 340 block. .040" over Diamond Forged -21cc dished pistons. Childs and Albert rings. Scat I beam rods. Eagle forged crank. Clevite Full groove coated bearings. 8qt. Moroso oil system. For the heads i went with Eddy Magnum heads #61779 which were CNC ported and prepped at Hughes and flowed over 265/199 with the 2.02 valve. Toped it off with Comp Cams Pro magnum stainless 1.6 rockers and a custom .543" Comp cam. With an M1 single plane and a "self modified 850 TQ". Highest quality parts and precision machining and balancing and a "i never trust no one assembling it" approach. Cost.....about $6500. You can do it if you shop around.

Glen

They are closed chamber, wasnt even aware Edlebrock made an open chamber for the small block mopars.

One for the 340, positive deck height piston engine, one for the rest of the small blocks, and of course, one for the Magnum family.

Are you telling me that the closed chamber heads 60075 which are 63cc that I have maybe the reason for the bent rods? They been on the car for 5 years. The 65cc are the 60179.

I had a set of the 60179 heads,yes.This was designed to clear 68 to 71 340 stock pistons.I do not know ,what you had for pistons.You would have heard such a problem running,or shown marks on the comb chambers/piston tops.You would be a better judge than I,you have seen it.

The stock 340 pistons typically stick out of the block about .017" so the "open chamber" Edelbrock heads are machined to provide clearance for those stock type 340 pistons. 360 pistons don't stick out of the block so Edelbrock referrs to the closed chamber heads as "360 heads".

60779 is the closed chamber 63cc 360 head. 60179 is the 65cc open chamber 340 head. For a stroker, whose pistons won't be sticking out of the block, the closed chamber head is the one you want. The closed chamber head can be run on a 340 if the pistons don't stick out of the block OR thick head gaskets are used.

Are you telling me that the closed chamber heads 60075 which are 63cc that I have maybe the reason for the bent rods? They been on the car for 5 years. The 65cc are the 60179.

60075 is a 427 Ford head with 76cc chambers. I think you mean 60779? If you ran those heads on a 340 either you had really thick head gaskets OR you had pistons that did not stick out of the block. I believe the '72-'73 340 pistons did not stick out of the block like the '68-'71 340 pistons did. The '72-'73 pistons had a different compression height that made them sit lower in the bore to reduce compression. Closed chamber heads will bolt right onto those engines and when combined with a thin head gasket will help those later engines gain more compression.

Yeah miss type sorry.yeah they had been on the car for nearly 5 years so I'm sure they were fine. When I built the car I was new to the mopar scene and still am. Been a mustang guy and still am. Thats my other toy. This dart was gifted to me. I won't get it to that story but It has grown on me and I hope to regift it to my kids someday. I checked for clearances when I put it together. But it been so long I can't remember what my piston were in the car. It is a pre 71' block but I can't remember which year either. And I also do not know the history of the short block because that is roughly the only thing I have not touched since the car was handed to me.

I should get wind from my machinist Friday. That Is my next day off and will be stopping in.but as of right now I'm prepped to go with the 416.

Talked to my engine builder today. Block is going to get sonic tested before boring. discovered my 340 was already bored out to 4.080. So If it passes sonic testing It will get a 4.100 bore. That size of bore is going to add cost to my stroker build. I was told it going to be $1800 for the Scat 416 kit with that piston. So now I wait to here back about the sonic results.

How many of you out there have gone to 4.100 bore?

My brothers 340 is 4.100"... Had no issues with cooling with a stock radiator stock water pump and clutch fan...'73 block, small solid cam, Edelbrock heads, air gap intake, headers...

-
Back