Optima Batteries worth the $$$

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I need a big *** battery.50 amp fan MSD ect....Are those fancy Optima battery's worth the money or are they just I'm cool Eye Candy????

Thanks
I need a new Battery yesterday

I need a big *** battery.50 amp fan MSD ect....Are those fancy Optima battery's worth the money or are they just I'm cool Eye Candy????

Thanks
I need a new Battery yesterday
I got on elast year for my 67 cuda it doesn tleak acid and it set all winter and started right up 2 wks ago so Im happy 175 bucks at auto zone.

I personally think they are a waste of money i have had 3 red tops and i've replaced them more times than regular battery. Each time i ran one down it wouldnt hold a charge or start the car for crap afterwards, so always had to get replaced now i stick with just regular battery's and im happy plus cheaper!

I had one in my Vette with an amp and sub connected and it blew the other battery away. It's about time to replace the battery in the truck and that's what I'm going with.

my dad uses them and they seem be do great for not starting until a race and then it sits starts right up my dad says theres worth it and last 5yrs he uses the yellow top i beleive.

I had one and initially it was ok but it ran down once and wasn't worth the damn after that. I'm sticking with plain old batteries from now on.

I bought a "new" blue top at Pep Boys and installed it in the parking lot. No power at all. I brought the POS back into the store and ended up getting a deep cycle battery for $99.00. Have not looked back since.

After beating the hell out of a fleet of atvs and pickups in Iraq for a couple years that exclusively used optima batteries, that is all I will use in my cars. There is a reason we used them out there, they work.

Yes they are worth the money, if someone kills the battery beyond repair that is their fault not the design of the battery.

They are defiantly worth it if you are storing the car at all, they hold a charge a lot longer than a standard battery. They also don't have the standard plate structure that other batteries have so they hold up to vibration better. They used to be better before they started to make them in Mexico. When I worked at a battery store some customers would bring them in as cores and we would fight over who would get it, they always came back after we charged them. I would say any AGM battery would work for you they are a far better design then the old ones.

I have one in my Dart. Have had no trouble with it at all. Only thing I don't like about it is how much it cost. Have been told that diehard makes one that is close to the same as an optima but a lot less money. Think I am going to try that next.

I have had the same one in my dart since 2004 or 2005 I've ground it down numerous times and I let it sit months at a time over the winter and it always starts the car.

I did hear that when jci took them over that quality took a dive. Don't know if that's true or not.

I switched to a Red top in my race car two years ago. I havn't looked back. Great batteries as far as i'm concerned.
I have tried every way to kill it, not on purpose mind you.
We ran a full race in 100 degree heat when the alternator failed. The car has an electric water pump drive & electric fan on it.
We time trialed & went 6 rounds of racing on nothing but battery voltage, the car never dropped off. I run a complete MSD ignition.
The other time was when I hooked the battery charger up in reverse polarity & charged it overnight. Again, not on purpose. I just knew for sure that battery was junk.
It was completly dead. I hooked the charger up to it (correct this time) & charged overnight @ 2amps.
Result, I'm using it again for the third season.
I work for a Volvo heavy equipment dealer, & Volvo installs red tops in all of it's vibe-type rollers. We have seen a rash of them stolen, since the theives found out about them.
No problems in our rollers.
The trick is charging them correctly, I have always charged mine overnight @ 2 amps & have had great results.
We also use the yellow tops in our service truck cranes, this is the only battery that has any longevity. I also use a yellow top for my trailers winch.
Yes, they are worth the price to me.

I work Ground Equipment In the Air Force and the Red Top Optimas are the only ones we use. (In cold climates we use the yellow tops aka Alaska) I've seen a video of an Optima where it was sitting next to something that was too hot melted down an entire corner of the battery and it still started. If you want to spend the money then go for the best IMO!

Coming from someone who used to sell them just about every day I can tell you they used to be excellent batteries. After Johnson Controls took them over we started getting a bunch of defective ones back. Back in the day I had one that went between three vehicles and it lasted about ten years till I sold the last vehicle it was in.

I have always used them in the past but gave up on them in 2008 because the not to stellar life span. Two on my CDT Ram were toast after 2 years, had one on my big blk chevy 4x4 died in 3 years and finally the corvette (which lasted about a year and a bit). Seem to only get about 2-3 years out of them and then they are toast.

I bought one when they first came out and that one lasted 8-9 years, and went with the truck when sold.:scratch:

Conventional battery wouldnt crank my 500 if I cranked it and shut it off and tried to start it again immediately. My optima spins it over as many times as i want it to.

I have one in a car that spends alot of time sitting, and after the first year it would not start the car- if I jump it it will work fine, but once it sits over the winter its done again. Someone told me not to charge it, and I do not, just jump it every spring.

I have a no name gargantuan battery in my Barracuda, and it sits just as much and always starts, no matter what the temp or how long it sat.

I have heard Interstate are very good.

I have had hit and miss luck with them.

they look good,when they work good they work GOOD,good for 4 wheeling or drag car because you can tip them over and flip them upside down or whatever and they don't leak.good cold cranking....you can get a good amount of cranks out of it before it kills out.

however....like others have said I had/seen a few of them that once they went dead they wouldnt charge back up.

I have had/seen about 4 junk red tops and 2 yellow tops.

which to me is alot of money down the toilet.

to much of a gamble for me.... I would rather spend the $60 on a walmart battery and have it last 3-6 years or whatever than spend $200 an have an optima crap out after a year or 2.

my .02

You don't need a big-*** battery, you need a big-*** alternator and appropriately-upgraded charging system wiring to accommodate it.

As for Optima batteries: No, they haven't been worth the price for many years (not since the price went up and the quality went down). Here is what I posted on the subject in May 2008:

Optima used to be the premium battery. When I worked at the wrecking yard in the mid-late '90s, Optimas cost more on the used-battery rack than any other kind. And they were the ones that tended to disappear; if an Optima came in under the hood of a junked car, whoever first saw it would usually grab and stash it. But Optima has been through several corporate "parents". If I remember the sequence correctly, the original manufacturer was Gates (as in belts and hose, in Denver), who originally called the spiral cells in the Optima battery "Gates Cyclon" cells. Then Gates sold the battery operation; somewhere in there a Swedish operation was involved, then somebody else was making them, and quality control went awry. If you got a good one, you were fine, but there were far too many bad ones, and as I understand it (I had quit buying Optimas by then) the multiple sequential brand owners didn't care much about people who'd bought batteries from the previous owner of the brand. I have no up-to-date info on how reliable they are currently; I think Johnson Controls now make the Optimas, and JCI have a good reputation in the field, but I don't consider them cost-effective because they remain considerably more expensive than other batteries without a sturdy track record of being worth the extra money in the long run.

My last few battery replacements have occurred such that a right-now replacement was necessary, limiting my options. I've wanted for some time to go buy a battery from one of those local places that makes them on-site, complete with old-fashioned one-per-cell round filler caps. There were several such places in Eugene OR when I lived there, and I have to imagine there are some here, too. As it stands, my last two batteries have been one spiral cell Optima-type unit made by Exide (their "orbital" design) and branded as Motomaster for Canadian Tire, and one Motomaster Nautilus marine deep-cycle item, both purchased from Canadian tire. One's in the Dart, and one's in the truck, and I don't recall at the moment which is in what. I like the deep-cycle batteries because they're considerably more resillient and tolerant of sustained light-to-moderate load (e.g. leaving the lights on), they have convenient threaded-stud connections near the terminals that make it easy to add electrical accessories, and as long as picked correctly they have much more than enough high-load capacity to start the car very reliably even in very rough (cold or hot) conditions.

=====

And here's what I wrote on the subject in October 2009:

Yesterday I hopped in Dart III (my new '73) to head grimly to my office and try to grind out the rest of the giant report I've been procrastinating for months. Turned the key and was met with a mighty roar of…silence. F(comma)WT? Ooops…I'd left the lights on the previous morning when I parked. And what's worse, I'd left the parking lamps on, not the full headlamps. The smaller the electrical load, the more completely the battery drains—this one was well beyond pining for the fjords.

No jumper cables, of course (memo to self: get).

I borrowed a car and drove over to the office, retrieved the fancy Exide Orbital spiral-cell battery yanked from the truck last December before I sold it, drove home, and tossed it in the Dart which started immediately, and the ammeter showed only very brief charge-up before settling down to the middle again. Those spiral-cell batteries really work a treat — this one held a full charge for nearly a whole year just sitting in a storage locker, which is a neat trick — but I think I will probably install a daytime running lights module and a lights-on reminder buzzard on Dart III.

Now I'm out West; Dart II ('64 273) is in the driveway and I still have to finish that stupid report. :roll:

(In case anybody's wondering what a headlights-on reminder buzzard would be like, or how I'd add it to my old Dart: I'd procure a buzzard and set up housekeeping for it in a tree near where I park. If ever it saw me get out of the car without turning off the lights, it'd flap around and squawk for fifteen seconds or so. If I didn't get the message and began walking away from the car with the lights still on, it'd swoop down and probably vomit all over me. And then I'd be like "Oh yeah, right, I left the lights on".

I wouldn't be tempted to take the headlights-on reminder buzzard on plane trips with me, though; they're notorious for overpacking and that just wouldn't work out, not with each passenger being limited to just one carrion item.)

=====
The Exide spiral-cell battery described above, purchased in 2006 or so, is still in Dart III.

I have two Yellow tops in my 4x4 have had no problem with them. Don't buy red tops they suck once you discharge them they are history. Don't know to much about the blues but they should be good. I also like the Exide spiral if you can find one, had one in my Dakota for almost 8 yrs. worked great. Oh one more thing if you get an Optima get it from Amazon got my yellows there for $156 ea.

I own pg2

I have been using them for years, never had an issue with them, other than when I have ran one down cuz I left the dome light on it was a ***** to jump. When/if you do run them down they need to be charged correctly. Our Fairlane has been sitting for about 2 years now with a red top in it. Was curious the other day, hunted the key down and she fired right up. I like the fact that I no longer have battery juice peeing all over the engine compartment. They usually last me 6 years or so. I always replace the cables, or at least the clamps when I install one....

I have a 7 (or 8) year old yellow top in my Dart right now and have never had a problem. Sometimes it sits for 6 or 7 months without being cranked, but I did throw my 1/2 amp motorcycle Battery Tender on it for 1 or 2 days every month.
Now it is doing duty in my Mustang since December when the 7 year old original battery died.

Hell no junk! and over price junk never get my money any more Interstate has the best have had one in my truck and cars for 8 years never let me down!!!

Hell no junk! and over price junk never get my money any more Interstate has the best have had one in my truck and cars for 8 years never let me down!!!

Interstate just happens to be my supplier for optima batteries, that we use in our equipment.

-
Back