Options to repair or replace driver's side fresh air vent door.

-

Stumpy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The driver's side fresh air vent door hinge is broken on my 1965 Dart. Looks like the bottom hinge rusted shut and it broke the hinge bracket off at the bottom when someone tried to force it open. The vent box itself is in pretty good shape. I could reuse the duct if I punch out the rivets and replace or repair the door. I've even got new gaskets.

Thanks!

C90879C9-9012-4227-AFE8-F4E1DB1D7CE5_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did repair mine when that exact same thing happened to my 65 Barracuda. I soaked the bottom of the hinge with WD and it loosened up the rusted hinge, then repaired the bottom of the fresh air box with marine 2 part epoxy and it is still in the car working perfectly still.

The driver's side fresh air vent door hinge is broken on my 1965 Dart. Looks like the bottom hinge rusted shut and it broke the hinge bracket off at the bottom when someone tried to force it open. The vent box itself is in pretty good shape. I could reuse the duct if I punch out the rivets and replace or repair the door. I've even got new gaskets.

Any advice from someone that has repaired one of these doors with replacement hinges? Or maybe someone has a non-broken door or even a whole duct assembly they'd be willing to part with?

Thanks!

View attachment 1716002235
You'll need to post a parts wanted thread if you are looking for one here.

I did repair mine when that exact same thing happened to my 65 Barracuda. I soaked the bottom of the hinge with WD and it loosened up the rusted hinge, then repaired the bottom of the fresh air box with marine 2 part epoxy and it is still in the car working perfectly still.
I think I’ll try that route. That hinge is pretty rusted though. Must have leaked water and drained there at one time.

I've fixed a few of those. Drill out the rivets so the door assembly is detached. Weld a little tab to the door or bracket (maybe even both) and then drill them so you can use a small machine screw as the hinge pivot. Clean and paint (or powder coat) and then reinstall the door with pop rivets and washers to the inside. I use hobby foam sheets from walmart for replacement gasket material.

Airbox 1.jpg

airbox3.jpg

airbox2.jpg

Last edited:
I just found mine that I left soaking most of the summer in a molasses and water solution to derust the hinge. Works fine now, just need to reattach it to the box as the spot welds broke free.

Similarly to #6, I used a hardware store hinge to fix mine. Not as elegant as #5, but it worked well. Painted black, it was virtually unnoticeable - except to me. I did eventually find a mint condition one on ebay for a ridiculously low price and put it in, with a new top weatherstrip/seal from DMT.

20221101_150302.jpg

I decided to go with repairing the existing hinge. I just had a buddy weld the hinge, he did a great job and getting the rest ready for paint. It’s looking like it’s going to turn out great! I’ve already got the foam seals from a DMT firewall kit I ordered months ago.

BTW. If anyone is interested, I tried out Evaporust and I’m really impressed with it. After an overnight soak it really cleaned up the rust. A little brush action and the rods and bolts look like new.

P.S. Emptied my Inbox for those trying to message.

I’ll post a pic when done.

2D2C9289-408F-4165-87EA-D929C0DF3753.jpeg

6B523611-A063-4791-8B6B-0864C4605D59.jpeg

I still say someone should design and produce complete covers to replace these doors. Functioning vent in it, directable and has a screen in it to serve as cabin air filter. Plus removable to get pine needles etc.., from behind it, clean the filter.

The one on my 64 Valiant was the same way. I remover it, derusted it, straightened it, got it freed up good and broke the MIG out and spot welded it back together. Greased it up and it works great now.

I decided to go with repairing the existing hinge. I just had a buddy weld the hinge, he did a great job and getting the rest ready for paint. It’s looking like it’s going to turn out great! I’ve already got the foam seals from a DMT firewall kit I ordered months ago.

BTW. If anyone is interested, I tried out Evaporust and I’m really impressed with it. After an overnight soak it really cleaned up the rust. A little brush action and the rods and bolts look like new.

P.S. Emptied my Inbox for those trying to message.

I’ll post a pic when done.

View attachment 1716005565

View attachment 1716005566
That's just about exactly what I did to mine.

Well here’s the Before and After pics ready to install. It turned out way better than I expected. Thanks for all the input everyone!

F8883BF0-777E-4C17-9FCF-EFCBB9DED0D7.jpeg

63A14D69-8D19-49BC-90A5-C414DCF0FF0C.jpeg

76B0972F-CF7D-4CFC-BE94-C7D9350E3EF5.jpeg

-
Back