Oregonians Beware!!!

-
I'm not saying that I'm in favor of the increased tax but I love how the beer lobby spins it to try to scare beer drinkers. They say that a tax increase of 14 cents per bottle will amount to a $2.50 to $4.00 increase for a six-pack. Apparently being good at math is not a prerequisite for brewing beer.

Another bill in at the Gov's desk, they want to tax health insurance preimums to pay for those who are uninsured, so now I have to change my new license plate frame to read; "Honk if I'm paying your mortgage AND health insurance!"

I'm not saying that I'm in favor of the increased tax but I love how the beer lobby spins it to try to scare beer drinkers. They say that a tax increase of 14 cents per bottle will amount to a $2.50 to $4.00 increase for a six-pack. Apparently being good at math is not a prerequisite for brewing beer.

Well, now, isn't that the "lemming" way to look at this?

Well, now, isn't that the "lemming" way to look at this?

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, he just pointed out the obvious mathematical discrepancy. Personally I think the "lemming" way to look at things is to jump on every negative story, hype it, exagerate it, believe it and then run off a cliff

first they tax the tobacco, then the beer, then the ammo, then the guns,it sounds like a conspiracy to me. prohibition comes to mind.the only difference is that they don't make it illegal, they just tax it out of our paygrade. when the market can no longer sustain itself due to lack of sales, the business fails and, no longer produces the product in question. the gov't, looses the revenue, and seeks it elsewhere. for as you know, the taxes are what keeps this country going(yea right). i'm with ramhi4x, we should fire the entire lot of them. or better yet, make them all finish thier terms,for free. and, stop paying elected officials completely. if they have to feed thier family's the same way we do,with a real job, they may be more likely to serve thier constituants, with them in mind only.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, he just pointed out the obvious mathematical discrepancy. Personally I think the "lemming" way to look at things is to jump on every negative story, hype it, exagerate it, believe it and then run off a cliff

Thanks for the back-up Rob. I'm not sure why I was attacked with the "lemming" comment either. I was just pointing out how no matter what the issue is, somebody always has to spin it to scare those who just read the headlines without bothering to dig deeper and look at the facts. Again, I am not for this tax, I just don't think the best approach to oppose it is to flat out lie and hope nobody checks the figures. Fear mongers all!

So what did you guys out their vote for? Dem/Rep

I don't get to vote, Canadian eh :-D I was just showing my support for a fellow FABO bother that got slagged for no apparent reason. I'm not for increasing taxes here, there or anywhere so don't get the wrong idea. The implied tax is bad enough without exagerating it 6 x 14 cents does not equal $4 where I went to school.

This is an individual state decision as I read it and if you want to call it a trckle down effect of the Obama vote, fair enough, I won't debate that.

For what it's worth up here we pay far more alcohol, tobacco and fuel taxes and while we're pretty grumpy about it sales are not really impacted. A six pack of beer is $10, a pack of smokes $7, gas around $4. Yes it sucks but I still drink and I still drive although I quit smoking 20 years ago but not because the price kept going up.

In the video, they say that Oregon craft brewers currently pay $2.60 per barrel for excise tax; that will increase to $49.61 per barrel if this bill passes. That is a lot of money for a small business, and it doesn't translate directly to the consumer. At all levels of purchasing, production and distribution, there are profit margins to maintain; if they're not, your small business is in trouble. So actually, the math does come out to be at least $2.50 a pint more with this bill if microbrewers want to stay solvent.

I'll just keep brewing my own beer for nearly free! The ingredients are staggeringly cheap.

Someone a long time ago said that the power to tax is the power to destroy. Do you see nothing wrong with a 1,900% tax increase on one particular product? Instead, you look at some computation to nit pick. You miss the forest for the trees. Anybody that bends over to accept this type of government intrusion with that type of response is a lemming in my opinion.

You people would be screaming bloody murder if the government increased the gasoline tax by 1,900%. How about a TV tax? Go for that? Don't laugh, they have one in Britain. Pull your head out of the sand (to put it kindly) or they will soon be coming after something of importance to you.

Someone a long time ago said that the power to tax is the power to destroy. Do you see nothing wrong with a 1,900% tax increase on one particular product? Instead, you look at some computation to nit pick. You miss the forest for the trees. Anybody that bends over to accept this type of government intrusion with that type of response is a lemming in my opinion.

You people would be screaming bloody murder if the government increased the gasoline tax by 1,900%. How about a TV tax? Go for that? Don't laugh, they have one in Britain. Pull your head out of the sand (to put it kindly) or they will soon be coming after something of importance to you.

When you see 1900% your jaw drops but it is somewhat misleading, there is only 1 cent tax at the moment and it hasn't been changed in 32 years, in that period of time I'm sure tax on gas, and tobacco has increased regularly and drastically. If you increase the tax every year or two you won't ever see a 1900% increase in one shot, but it may very well add up to that or more if you compare it from 32 years ago to today. Again, I'm not saying it's a good thing just to look at it in proper perspective, you can't increase gas tax by 1900% because it's already insanely high, you add 14 cents tax to it and nobody freaks out because as a percentage it isn't eye popping.

I wasn't defending the tax as I mentioned before just the member you likened to a lemming because he didn't run straight off the cliff after you screaming we're all going to die. Just because someone doesn't go into panic mode everytime there is any story of a negative nature doesn't make them a lemming or an idiot. Obama inherited an enormous national debt which he will by all accounts likely double but even without that I can't wrap my head around how you can pay down the close to $200,000 debt you currently have for every citizen in your country.

I guess you'll have to change the roadhouse song now...

Well I woke up this morin and I got myself a TAX!..... dadadadada dede.

The underlying truth here is this........

#1, This is just the beginning..... The tax "genie" has been loosed from the bottle. Liberal see, liberal do. They MUST stay afloat (the Gov't's, that is) in a bad economy....their answer is higher tax).

#2, Contrary to November's popular belief, the "little people" will be the ones who'll have their taxes increased to a crippling level. They can't afford what they pay NOW......Add beer, cigs, gas, staple products, imports, etc...etc...etc....not to mention the ever increasing car insurance rates and the legalized racketeering of requiring good credit to get a decent premium, and you have "middle & lower class oppression" plain and simple....and new labor and union laws that will slam small businesses to boot. The "rich" won't be affected where it really hurts. WE will.

They'll give you a small tax break for low income, and increase taxes on the things you depend on for a normal lifestyle. Outcome? You lose. Then, they devalue the dollars you DO have by printing trillions at the treasury....your paycheck now goes LESS distance than before, and at a steady rate downward without a pay raise to offset it....outcome? You lose. Israel invades Iran because the US lacks the resolve.....outcome? You lose. (oil and gas skyrocket).

Sorry guys. The genie. Keep your eyes on the genie. The 2010 elections are a bit too far away to save the day.

(I know, I know............."Pastor Doom" rides again.) 8)

The tax "genie" has been out of the bottle for a long time, he's Canadian eh. :-D We've been living with what you're starting to see there for a very long time, we need money we throw another 10 cents tax on gas, alcohol or tobacco. Quite a number of years ago they came up with the GST, add 7% tax to pretty much everything, even labour :angryfir: It's gone down to 5% but it's an enourmous tax, buy a new house and you pay 5% tax on it. Buy a car and you pay 7% Prov tax plus 5% GST unless it's over 30K then you have an even higher luxury tax. :angry7:

I'm not an advocate of tax, just perspective, things are going to get bad enough as it is.

Well, just another thing that I'll stop spending money on. We'll see how it goes though. What if EVERYONE stopped spending money on it??

Again with the uncalled for personal insults! The lemming comment is simply out of line and disrespectful. I don't follow anyone blindly, I actually think for myself, based on factual information. You have to do more than just read part of my comments while ignoring the thesis of my argument. Yes the increased tax makes me mad, perhaps as mad as it makes you ... not my point. My point was that it always gets my goat when people have to twist the facts and play with the numbers to put a particular spin on things, especailly when they don't have to. I am an informed consumer, voter, etc. Above all, I respect those who present accurate and factual information. If I perceive that someone is telling half-truths, I become suspicious and sceptical. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees ... my point was that I want HONESTY not spin. No need to respond to this, I'm done with this silly argument.

-
Back