Original?? really??....

-

redfastback

Don't ask me... my garage is empty
Reaction score
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5158367525.html

I really hate when people sell a car that they don't really know $&%* about.

1967 Formula S 383 car, was a rare car til they *##@#$ it up..

-#'s matching? Believe it when I see it. Do you know how many 67-69 383 blocks did not get stamped?#-o

So, a 4 speed 383 fastback with rare rear defogger.

-Factory rallye wheels? Uhh from 1970....

-aluminum heads. great for other cars, not this one. :finga:

-MSD Ignition. uhhh better figure out what you have cuz it aint that....:sign3:

-Coil and ECU mount on fenders, straight up tacky? Are you an idiot?:wack:

-Woodgrain on the console, yeah not a 67' option dude...

-Rear valance is wrong for a 383 car. :banghead:

-Chrome alternator... Did you do an ammeter bypass? Probably not...:violent1:

-Aluminum radiator and electric fan? Did you add relay(s)?

You would have been better off doing all of these upgrades to a non Formula S and save this for a correct resto. What a waste of a real collector car, I dont care if its yours or not.

Call me a dick, I dont care.... at least I tell it like it is.

-

I didn't think ANY 67 engines were stamped at all.

It is really just depressing when people take a very rare possibly highly optioned car and devalue it. Same goes for all brands of cars. Its like taking an AAR and pro touring it.

It is really just depressing when people take a very rare possibly highly optioned car and devalue it. Same goes for all brands of cars. Its like taking an AAR and pro touring it.

I am curious to why this depresses you? Is it the historical aspect? Monetary potential?

I have gotten a lot of guff from "purists" about my car(not that it is a rare or highly optioned), which is one of the reasons I don't participate in car shows that much anymore. Never had a chance to really explore their reasoning though.

So what is it with you guys?

I feel that certain cars do have historic value. Take a low option car and do what you want. For the sake of history, keep rare, one off cars as they were.
I just dont like seeing a car that has significant historic value either butchered or just plain not thought about as anything other than another car. Some people are so stubborn they get the "Its my car, Ill do what I want". If your going to change it so much, why does it matter that you started with a big block, hemi, etc. car to begin with?

My car was a 318, so I did what I want. My buddy has a very highly optioned 68 Formula S 340/4 speed car. He and I both think that his car should remain more stock, and mine I can do what I want with it.

maybe some people love to say "this used to be a hemi car" or , "This used to be a real Z28, but I put an LS1 in, that 302 sucked..."

You do know, that there is really "no such thing" as a 67 numbers matching? As in............

Pretty much, including the transmissions..........

Yes, I do....Thanks for clarifying. That is why I asked.:D

I love people who throw those words around yet have no idea how to actually match numbers.

I used to authenticate quite a few cars when I had my shop, some mopars, but mostly GM.

I am curious to why this depresses you? Is it the historical aspect? Monetary potential?

I have gotten a lot of guff from "purists" about my car(not that it is a rare or highly optioned), which is one of the reasons I don't participate in car shows that much anymore. Never had a chance to really explore their reasoning though.

So what is it with you guys?

Would you take this 3 million dollar Hemi Cuda and modify it?

plymouth-hemi-cuda-convertible-mecum-front.jpg

There are a number of rare muscle cars in the world…and then, in its own league, there’s the Plymouth Hemi Cuda convertible. These Plymouth's are all things powerful, fast, and stylish, and today—given the incredibly low production numbers for convertible models—they’re also incredibly valuable.

A “holy grail” 1971 Hemi Cuda convertible sold at auction last year for $3.5 million, and this drop-top example, one of just 14 built in 1970, may be able to repeat that staggering feat. It will cross the auction block next week at Mecum Auctions’ 2015 Monterey sale, and is expected to gavel for between $2.5 and $3 million.

While that may seem like a huge chunk of money for an “Elephant engine” Hemi Cuda, this one has a particularly unique story to tell.

There are a number of rare muscle cars in the world…and then, in its own league, there’s the Plymouth Hemi Cuda convertible. These Plymouth's are all things powerful, fast, and stylish, and today—given the incredibly low production numbers for convertible models—they’re also incredibly valuable.

A “holy grail” 1971 Hemi Cuda convertible sold at auction last year for $3.5 million, and this drop-top example, one of just 14 built in 1970, may be able to repeat that staggering feat. It will cross the auction block next week at Mecum Auctions’ 2015 Monterey sale, and is expected to gavel for between $2.5 and $3 million.

While that may seem like a huge chunk of money for an “Elephant engine” Hemi Cuda, this one has a particularly unique story to tell.

Nope, but this retro painted hemicuda rag was painted back in tha day all wild and somebody restored it to stock.....just another lame boring restored hemi e-body....would have been way cooler left the way it was.....:banghead:

Here is another cool vintage drag car that is perfect the way it is....sorry to stray away from the topic lol

[ame]https://youtu.be/_fXKzS1wQ7w[/ame]

Attachments

• P8120090.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 398

See, I am in thre camp of: using 150k to build a badass convertable Hemi Cuda clone. And make it perform twice as good as OEM. And spend the left over $3.35mil on amazing house and garage to put it in.

To each their own though. I understand the urge to preserve the history, just not my thing.

I think it's a nice car with some sensible upgrades.
I'm not sure it's a 50k car but still it's nice.
Sure the coil looks a bit weird on the fender, but most of his mods/upgrades can easily be changed back to oem spec without too much effort.

You'd hate to see what I've done with my numbers matching 383 formula s.I pulled the original motor, 4 speed, and 8 3/4 diff out and replaced it with a 440, 18 spline 4 speed and dana 60 with rear discs. I figure if I want to go back to complete original, I can build them later and put them back in. My car was already slightly molested though with already cut inner guards for fenderwells and spent most of its life racing down at salt lake city somewhere.

To each their own though. I understand the urge to preserve the history, just not my thing.

Ain't mine either, because I could never afford it, lol. My car is a run of the mill Dart Sport, and it's far from original, and I have no desire to keep it that way, other than keeping Mopar parts in a Mopar.

But, if I were to find one of those uber rare cars in a barn, the last thing I would do is stray from anything but original.

Are those cars even worth 50K in totally restored condition?

if its a fairly low production big block mopar of any kind and somewhat desirable, I will put it back to factory condition with the exception of maybe a set of wheels. if its a higher production, more common not so desirable car , I will hot rod the hell out of it

I'll agree and add to. A "special build" that was well kept from day one should be forever. There were those that got mods at day 2 or at any point over 40 years. That's why there aren't several 3 million dollar e-bodies.
What it is or aint today may not have anything to do with the current owner. For this particular car, who ever did the resto could have done a whole lot better. The lack of black out behind the grilles looks horrible.
At the same time. If you're going to put a vast amount of time, labor, money into a beat up, or modded and abused, or rust bucket, it should be a "special build". Then the pics of how far gone it was at one time can be beneficial in some sense.

Always laugh when people get riled up over someone else's ride. This is the very reason I will not have a thread about my car on here...just not worth the grief......

Always laugh when people get riled up over someone else's ride. This is the very reason I will not have a thread about my car on here...just not worth the grief......

It's something else.....Nitpick the **** out of everything....And the best one is they don't even own a classic car etc...

Lol, nothing like bashing people that have a different opinion eh?

Besides, I think what the OP was getting at is the fact the seller is misrepresenting the car, no?

-
Back