OT-Ford Truck Engine Question?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
Sorry for the Ford question but I know you can help.

I have an older (87) truck that I use for towing. It has a 460 and is set-up to tow. Apparently it had an engine oil cooler. At some point, someone had bypassed the cooler and ran a high-pressure rubber hose and attached the two nipples. This developed a leak and squirted oil all over. Not fun.

I am wondering, can I cap the lines off at the housing and do away with the cooler? Or is it needed for circulation? I had thought about removing the housing, but I am not sure now it looks like it needs to stay.

For obvious reasons I would like to avoid this again. Two more years until I get the Cummins.......

Thanks, ROB

Jeeper, I would not try to cap them off because I would think there under pressure. I myself would run new hi pressure lines. Bradied lines made for this would be best for peak performance and long life, but it seems like it's not going to stay.

Keep the cooler in action. It's a selling point that could deduct a few point ($$$) if not in operation.

That 460 needs all the help it can get. The original lines probably popped. Try flushing the vooler out with carb/brake clean and compressed air. Run the stuff thru a clean rag and look for debris. If it's just some gunk, clean it a few more times and connect the right lines. Ford's pretty good about keeping numbers around. I'd bet you can get them new. If not, use transmisssion cooler hose and re-do what was there. That stuff wont pop.

Here is the story now that I have a second. The truck is right before they went to FI so there are vacuum hoses etc. all over. I removed a good sized box of unhooked smog parts and there was still a pile left on there which I have not removed yet due to time and weather.

Anyways, once I discovered the leak from the front, I decided to shorten the hose as you would a heater hose etc. It took about an hour to remove the hose from the multiple barb nipple. I then hooked it back up and took off for home. I made it about three miles out of my 20 when it split almost in two and sprayed the remaining oil out.

Shut it off and slid to the side of the road in the fog pulling a car trailer.

Call wife, get oil from home and replace hose with a section of roadside repair heater hose. I had no options at this time living in the middle of nowhere with the nearest parts store 30 miles away......the other way and it is dark and late and the coyotes were howlling great.

I get home and look the truck over. There is no cooler there right now at least. It has been removed.

My solution is some high-pressure oil rated hose and a 1" heater hose to go over it.

I don't hardly drive it. It sits and then I tow stuff to work and back once in awhile that is all.

I got the truck for a $100 from a buddy of mine and it is real nice for what it is.

Bad idea? I don't know but I do know that the hose that was on there was probably as old as the truck or close to it. The new hose is rated higher.

I guess the clear oil in now is a good thing. It never really became clean before with a change until it had a 3 gallon cleansing..........

Thanks for the support, ROB

Sounds fine to me. As long as the hose you used was rated for use with oil and fuel, and is strong enough to withstand oil pressures, you're fine.

I hear you about coyotes. I have them on our land, and I love animals, but the howls get the hair on the back of my neck up...

I love living remotely. I ride everything I own on my own property. I can do all the outdoor stuff within a few feet of my door.

Skunks, Coyotes, Deer Elk etc. all come with it. That and no parts stores.

It should be fine. I am fixing it this week end.

Thank you, ROB

ELK! Yikes! I live 3 doors down from the AP store.

My girlfriend lives in a western burb of Denver and we hear the coyotes howl when hangin' in the hot tub late at night. I think it's kind of cool! As long they don't decide to jump in with us, that is. :)

-
Back