Out with the Small Block and in with the RB. What do I need?

-
I have a steel driveshaft for a 727 to 8 3/4 if you have a need, worked fine in my rb duster. Slant 6 torsion bars worked fine for me too. Have some SS springs too, I switched to mono leafs. Let me know if you are interested in the items listed above.

Andy

PM me some info about the SS Springs....

Thanks,
JW

Acording to TTI yes.

JW

I was wrong about what I said in regards to the TTI's and Power Steering. I had a conversation with TTI Wednesday and they said out of the box no. I also asked about the Borgensen box and that have not tried it to see if if would clear. I then called Borgensen and their primary goal was steering improvement so they themselves had no data relevant to TTI's fitting.

The tech at TTI said they do have a customer who made them fit with Power Steering and spaced the boxed out and dented one of the tubes. So if you want the additional power of full length headers then they can probably be made to work....

JW

I was wrong about what I said in regards to the TTI's and Power Steering. I had a conversation with TTI Wednesday and they said out of the box no. I also asked about the Borgensen box and that have not tried it to see if if would clear. I then called Borgensen and their primary goal was steering improvement so they themselves had no data relevant to TTI's fitting.

The tech at TTI said they do have a customer who made them fit with Power Steering and spaced the boxed out and dented one of the tubes. So if you want the additional power of full length headers then they can probably be made to work....

JW
You also have the option of electric power assist under your dash. Check out this thread.
$35 Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!

367 vs 383
4.04X3.58 vs 4.25X3.375
Drop-in vs tear your hair out.
Headers fit, mostly, vs good luck
Power brakes work with 292* or smaller cam, vs hydro boost
Drive it later this week vs maybe someday

367 vs 383
4.04X3.58 vs 4.25X3.375
Drop-in vs tear your hair out.
Headers fit, mostly, vs good luck
Power brakes work with 292* or smaller cam, vs hydro boost
Drive it later this week vs maybe someday

Ain't no time for your yapping..... Hater's gonna hate.....

JW

oooooo, sorry got called away for supper. Didn't finish.
No hater here.

A couple of bucks vs second mortgage
Passenger friendly vs no repeat passengers
Wife friendly vs no thx, I'm busy.
"Oh look another 340 car" vs "boy I bet that sux gas"
"Really? it goes how fast?" vs "is that the best it can do?"
People expect 360s to be mundane,fuddy-duddy, grocery getters, and they expect 383s to be Giant-Killers. It just ain't so.
I wish you all the best

Last edited:
When I dropped in my 400/727 into the /6 Duster, it took no more effort to drop in and get it running than the small block swap I did in the first /6 - 318 Duster I did earlier. The swap mounts made it EZ and quick while both required a mod on the K frame engine perchs.

Both swaps I did were up and running and driving In the same amount of time. Of course, having your ducks in order first helps. Like correct driveshaft length, proper size radiator, shifter linkage sorted out (Lokar set up makes it simple) Electrical wires to lengthen/shorten and repair and battery cable lengths correct to start with are huge.

The big block was only slightly more expensive due to needing a radiator. But then again, the /6 radiator barley did the job on the 318.

Both swaps were done in under a day's time and both cars were up and running that evening.

Header suck all around so IMO, spend the money on TTI headers or go through the fendwell.

Manual brakes work fine, upgrade to disks when possible. If you have power brakes, cam choices can make braking dicey. Hydro boost is a good idea if your OK with it.

My favorite one is if it is wife friendly or not. I say who cares?!?!?!
IMO, wife friendly old cars don't smell like gas, make her ears ring after 10 minutes and have a reasonable ride quality. All of which are obtainable no matter what the power plant is.

People allways will make a comment about your stuff. Be them MoPar flag wavers or absolute MoPar haters.

My answer to "Is it fast?" Is allways, "That depends, what is fast to you, seriously, what do you consider fast?" They may answer with an ET number and I allways say, then this is not fast. I just enjoy driving it. It doesn't need to be fast, just reliable and have passing power on the Hwy."

And my favorite is when questions are asked about what I did to my engine. I never answer the question truthfully. Sooner or later there buddy shows up noticing I gave 3 different answers as to what cam I have inside.

People "Expect" because they "Assume" which is allways a problem with the human race.

Last edited by a moderator:
So now you're picking on me again, and throw in name-calling. Listen, I know you have your opinion and I have mine, but you don't hear me railing on you or yours.
You are not the OP
You have experience and resources.
But I fear one of us has poor interpretive skills in reading between the lines. Perhaps it is I. But I hope not.

Here is a recap; highlights in the quotes, click to expand
Looking back on what I have done this project has probably been on my bucket list and thanks to another member on here a gun went off in my head and here we are. What I have is an original 72 H Code car that is pretty close to original. That's about to change. I have a RB that has been sitting on the stand for about 20 years and it's time to put it to work. I am sure somewhere in the archives there is a great thread about what I need to accomplish the conversion to a big block but have had no success in locating it. So is there a good thread about what I need in the way of parts and mods to make it happen?

What I have is a Complete Long Block, 2" TTI's, and a BB Transmission (727.) The car has Power Steering and will retain that. I have Hydroboost on the brakes and that is fab work plain and simple make room the motor. Any info is appreciated and if this question is like a broken record and someone can provide a link so I can get a good list going for myself that would be great.

Thanks,
JW

I took her virginity when I upgraded the brakes lol.... How did the Lokar stuff work out? Did you get kick down and throttle cable?

As for the intent of the car, street driving and some laps at the dragstrip. My dad is excited about doing this with me as he has never driven an A Body with a Big Block. It appears as though the Heads on the motor are not optimum based off of a members feedback ( god I like his honesty lol) so it is what it is for now. The bottom line is I got bored with the direction of the car and made a change lol....

JW

The only other thing I see currently getting in my way is the Heater motor. I see that there is a shorter version. Is this the most logical route short of removing the motor (which is not an option?) Since I am running a solid camshaft for a while getting the valvecovers off will be neccessary....

Thoughts?

JW

Thanks. The one I have will fit from what I am told.

JW

PM me some info about the SS Springs....

Thanks,
JW

JW

So, IMO, I see an entire summer of dinking around. Perhaps the upcoming winter too.
I am imagining getting the engine in as just the beginning.And I'm imagining dear old dad getting whiplash, the first time out, And just cuz you would rather leave your wife at home.........
It's a 72H,who can say if the chassis can support the BB. The rear wheel houses can barely accept 275s with custom offset wheels. If he runs the skinny 255s the car could be wrapped into a hydro pole on it's maiden voyage. The heater motor will be the least of his worries.
Perhaps the first pothole he drops a wheel into ,tears off the LBJ. The 292 bars were hopelessly inadequate for the 340, and 225s up front will do nothing but slide.
Perhaps the 383 will rend asunder the perches, on the first drag-strip outing, and a flat-deck will be required to trailer the car home. But being in storage for 20 years,perhaps the 383 is not even fit for duty right now.
And the solid-lifter cam might not like the 727 and rear gear as it stands, and he doesn't mention a matching TC.
And then there is the no small matter of retaining the PS and the hydroboost, the 45 year old rad, the who knows what cooling system that maybe pukes his engine during the cam break-in.
The OP storms in with a gun going off in his head and the good news is he didn't say 440
And you call my post a douch!
I posted it in fun, but I see just how accurate it might be.
Then again, he didn't ask for any opinions so,perhaps you are right..

Sorry ladies and gentlemen but
I have been asked by the boss not to upset the big baby from Canada with the thin skin because he complains that his nipple on the bottle fell off.

It appears that calling his reply a name upset him. Thinks I'm picking on him.
(GOD forbid that actually happens, Canada would be calling me to send up cleanX tissues by the truck load!)

The original poster has decided to do a big block and I say why not what's wrong with that? Many of us here have done that and are very happy with it.

I don't know about everyone here but I fully support anybody here doing there car there way. After all, it is your money your spending on a car you bought and you are building.

Why should somebody trash and shame and ridicule your build and tell you that you are wasting money.

Who the hell is that person to decide what you should do with your car! AND your money.

I like trying to help out where and when I can and I will tell you plain and bluntly of a possible/probable/for surely that something is a mistake or about right bad idea.

Wave the flag people!

"My car my way!"

I got your back!

Unlike some other thin skinned Northeners that don't have enough brains/sense/coolness to see otherwise.

And if it takes you 3 days or 3 years or 3 kids from cradle to college grad, stick it out of you want your car that way.

SCREW THE LONG WINDED
NA-SAYERS!!!

BUILD YOUR MOPAR YOUR WAY!!!!!!

Off the soap box for now until then s t northern rain storm comes south.

-
Back