Over $6000 to install TTI headers on 66 Barracuda

-
HaHaHa,
What a thread....just get your car and take one of the fine members in your area up on their offer. Once you have your car back the shop won't have the leverage anymore and seriously doubt they would pursue legal action in a battle they have little chance of winning. Not knowing exactly all what they have done its hard to speculate on how much you should compensate them but if your original header install agreement was $1K and the job wasn't completed I would pay them substantially less or nothing. They aren't going to like it but it's really not your problem that they lack the competence necessary for the install.

Lesson learned for all involved and all will get over it and move on with their lives.

AFTER YOU GET YOUR CAR BACK.........you should post the shops # and let some folks on here have some fun calling them.

Wow, that's just Evil ain't it....Lol!

Personally i won't pay what TTI wants for their headers alone and i sure would not pay that amount for an install [i know their a PIA, quality product but expensive] i'm sticking with my stock manifolds, not really planning on a fire breathing 273 at my age.

The shop charging 6K is bad.

The OP taking parts that don't fit and wondering why the cost is crazy, also is to blame.

There isn't an innocent party or one without fault in this situation!

Your comment contributes very little to this thread. You likely have no idea as to what the OP's situation is. Maybe he is old, handicapped, and disabled. Or maybe he is young, strong, and able to pursue other, more important things that take up significant amounts of his time.

Neither does most other posts. You got a problem with mine alone and nobody elses? My curiousity is what it was. If he has kids seems like a good time to spend with them working on the car together. Something 99.9% of kids would never forget. They would also be all the wiser when they get older. I guess his mentality is a dying breed of MEN here!

It's because of rip-off shops like this that I became a mechanic. When I was a kid I had a private garage replace a clutch. when I picked up the car the price had doubled, taken a week longer than estimated and stated no warentee because I was a kid and hot rodded the old clutch. When the new clutch went out 2 weeks later (never felt right from the beginning) he stated I must of been beating the sh*t out of it and no warrantee. That's when I learned to do it myself and it looked like he put in used parts But it started my career. But $6000 to put in a set of headers is ridiculous, he could of pulled the motor or the heads and put the headers in and re-installed the heads and it wouldn't cost that much.I hate people like that. He thinks his time is worth that much $$$ even tho he can't do the job. He wants you to pay for his education. Sorry , wish I was closer to help you out

Not to play the devils advocate , but if you cannot install the headers yourself how would you know that he is over charging you ? I agree with the previous posters maybe you should take up another hobby . In actuality $ 60 dollars an hour is reasonable , but i do think this guy is either hoseing you or has no idea how to work on old mopars

If the headers weren't going to work I think the shop should have called and let him know they were the wrong part and they weren't going to work. Is the OP partly at fault here? Sure, but to charge someone $6,000 for this is just wrong especially if the original quote was $1,000.

Surly for a hell of a lot less than $6000 you could sell the incorrect part then buy or have the right part fabricated. No point trying to force a square peg in a round hole hell learnt that at day care 40 odd years ago.

Seems like you're doing the right thing James. Having been "in the business" in garages, a dealership, and behind parts counters - I certainly think he should know better than t odo work exceeding the authorization without getting written clearance to do so. Ultimately that's the rub. He could spend everywaking minute on it, but if you signed up for $1K, it's up to him to communicate the issues PRIOR to incuring the labor cost. I've been on both sides of that fence and the best way to work it out is to work with him on it. As for what I'd do - I'd have it towed out and give him $1000 in cash, because either a hobbyist, or another shop will be less money than whatever middle ground you find between his completion cost and $1000.

Damn $6k....can you say "rip off"this is the reason myself and my buddy who owns his own shop are the ONLY ones to touch my car..

OP do all us early A bodies a favor and take your car up to Sanderson Headers and have them fab a set for small block Mopars. Then I can get a set for my '66 :)

for 4 grand I will fly to San Jose and put your headers on and help you kick the a$$ of the man that's screwing you!!!!

-
Back