Over size pistons help.

-

tguss

Reaction score
Question what is measurement on a 30 over 360 piston ? Is it 4.030 ? Or is the 4.030 the bore size for the piston ???

Each manufacturer is different. Pick a piston then call them & ask for an actual skirt measurement. These days most manufacturers include the clearance in the overbore size. So with a 4.030 bore, the piston will show up 4.025 (5 thou under). Thats just a scenario. Always best to have pistons in hand before boring/honing block.

hi, 4.03 refers to bore size, pistons are slightly smaller. usually .001 to .003 depending on stlye of piston. forged usually have more clearance. the clearance is made in the piston

Bore size: bore is honed for piston size usually within .001 of piston skirt size. Crown of piston is smaller than skirt you may find some dimensional drawings on a piston makers are like probe or wiseco.

I have a block and bore is reading 4.040 is this bore to 40 over pistons ?? Thanks for all the help

Correct .040 over. Are all bores straight (no taper)? If not you'll probably need to go up to the next size .060 over.

Bore size: bore is honed for piston size usually within .001 of piston skirt size. Crown of piston is smaller than skirt you may find some dimensional drawings on a piston makers are like probe or wiseco.

I'm no machinist but....Not so sure about tossing that out like that. Piston manufacturers typically spec their size & clearance based on the skirt (widest part). Some have different location but 1/2" up is what I've done. 1 thou clearance & you're going to lock a race piston right in the bore as soon as it warms up.

All of the piston sizes refer to the bore size. The pistons are generally around .005" less than the bore size. So, a .030 over 360 piston may measure 4.025". This is why you measure a piston, bore a hole and repeat.

-
Back