overcharging

-

72demon96

Reaction score
i have a 72 dodge demon it is puting out 5 volts i was wandering what could cuse it

yea I have check just about everything

Like what?

There are hundreds of threads on this subject

1......Voltage drop in the harness

2......Poor grounding on the voltage regulator

3......Fairly UN common, bad battery / going bad

4.....Bad voltage regulator

Notice the regulator is at the BOTTOM of the list

15 volts when and where?

Usually those old Chrysler alternators won't charge much at idle. When I lost a voltage regulator in my old '74, the ammeter acted like a tach. 12.7 volts at idle, 17 at 2000 rpm:D

Did you replace with a NEW regulator?

Like what?

There are hundreds of threads on this subject

1......Voltage drop in the harness

2......Poor grounding on the voltage regulator

3......Fairly UN common, bad battery / going bad

4.....Bad voltage regulator

Notice the regulator is at the BOTTOM of the list

#2 for me. I replaced the original point style with a electronic regulator in my 66 Dart and boiled the battery and blew light bulbs. Bad ground for the regulator at the firewall. tmm

Check the rubber boot connection to you voltage regulator, mine was not making the connection with the blue wire causing my battery to overcharge

yea I have check just about everything
Have you done a search here? There are a gazillion posts on over-charging. Just search posts by 67Dart273.

I also vote on excessive voltage drops thru the wiring and connectors. Your voltage regulator is probably doing its job. All it knows is the voltage difference between its case to the blue wire, which it regulates to ~14 V. It is your job to see that the blue wire (at Vreg) is the same as BATT+ and that the Vreg case is the same as BATT-. If not, don't fault Vreg for over-charging.

Thanks Bill I grow tired of using a crowbar and pick and shovel to get information.

-
Back