Overdrive transmission

-
Do all 200-4R's have the BPO bolt pattern on the bellhousing? I've been looking for one locally, to stash back for my wife's 77 Trans Am. Not having much luck finding one, but just kinda half hearted looking at the moment.

You are correct... Clearly I'm loosing my memory as I get older.. Makes it an even bigger advantage to use the A500...
I wasn't trying to call you out. I just had my A500 built and the 2.74/1.54/1.00/.69 is a big part of my build. I agree on the advantage.

Do all 200-4R's have the BPO bolt pattern on the bellhousing? I've been looking for one locally, to stash back for my wife's 77 Trans Am. Not having much luck finding one, but just kinda half hearted looking at the moment.
Yes. I believe all 200-4R's are dual bolt pattern. We had one built for a customer's '69 Firebird convertible behind his 472 stroker. Finding cores is tough.

I got lucky and found a core locally for $100. Collecting the parts to build it is going to take a while for me as I'll be doing all the work so I can afford to buy the more expensive HD parts throughout.

I wasn't trying to call you out. I just had my A500 built and the 2.74/1.54/1.00/.69 is a big part of my build. I agree on the advantage.
I'm not worried about being called on wrong info, its important to get accurate info.. The A518 & A500 are both huge improvements over the 727/904 but the A500 can really have big advantages if it suits your build..

I'm in the same boat in that I've got a small block with a 727 and I'd like to upgrade to something with an extra gear; but with the caveat that I'd prefer something that can bolt up to a G3 hemi down the line.

I'm not going to be making beaucoup power so the 500 & 42 look enticing in that they're smaller, lighter and don't rob as much HP, and I'm guessing less cutting? But I have no problem going for the beef of the 518 or the 46 and honestly wouldn't mind going 2004R if that's the right fit.

money isn't necessarily a concern, but I'm not looking to break the bank or anything. the car does get driven in a spirited manner and I'm prone to road tripping it. dealer's choice on gears, but I've currently got 2.23's in it.

what's the consensus cost wise, ease of install, performance and future compatibility?

I'm in the same boat in that I've got a small block with a 727 and I'd like to upgrade to something with an extra gear; but with the caveat that I'd prefer something that can bolt up to a G3 hemi down the line.

I'm not going to be making beaucoup power so the 500 & 42 look enticing in that they're smaller, lighter and don't rob as much HP, and I'm guessing less cutting? But I have no problem going for the beef of the 518 or the 46 and honestly wouldn't mind going 2004R if that's the right fit.

money isn't necessarily a concern, but I'm not looking to break the bank or anything. the car does get driven in a spirited manner and I'm prone to road tripping it. dealer's choice on gears, but I've currently got 2.23's in it.

what's the consensus cost wise, ease of install, performance and future compatibility?
G3 Hemi uses the same bellhousing as a LA/5.2-5.9 Magnum.... So the RH42.A500 is perfect... And since it has a deeper 1st gear it's accelerate quicker & highway cruising will be around 1700 rpm... Assuming a 28" tall tire & 3.23 axle..

G3 Hemi uses the same bellhousing as a LA/5.2-5.9 Magnum.... So the RH42.A500 is perfect... And since it has a deeper 1st gear it's accelerate quicker & highway cruising will be around 1700 rpm... Assuming a 28" tall tire & 3.23 axle..
that's excellent news. the deep 1st got my attention right quick. thank you so much for the help!

pretty sure I'm at about 28" tall I just put on new tires and haven't bothered to measure anything yet. slowing waking the beast up after a long slumber so just putting together battle plans for future endeavors....

That's about the size of it.
F1D1C8B7-6843-4DFC-8756-870110E49B09.gif

Here's what I had to cut on the crossmember to fit the 200-4R in my '73 Sport. That and buying the adapter kit was the only big issue with going with this trans. No cutting on the tunnel is required.

Crossmember passenger cut.jpg

Looking for recommendations on a OD transmission for my 67 Barracuda that has a 360 in it currently, but plan to turn it into a 408. The transmission in there now is a 727.

depends, do you want to cut the hell out of your car? if not then gear vendors..

Not many options outside of 727/904 for auto trans in Australia. So I'm going turbo700 behind my 318 in my 1967 Dodge ute. Bought the adaptor kit from Wilcap co. Looks to be a well made kit inc. starter motor. I have the same trans in an other car and more than happy with the positive, very firm shift. With all my other cars having O/D I couldn't build my new ride without it! Wilcap Store

What is the abhorrence to reinforcing the floor ABOVE the crossmember? It takes a very proficient welder to do all that overhead welding, but if the section in the tunnel was sliced completely out, a lot could be done from above. A few layers of strap up top would go a long way to strengthening that area. I've seen plenty of these that had very few factory welds attaching the reinforcement to the floor up inside the tunnel anyway. I hate it when sparks go down my neck! Bad enough to fight them when cutting the reinforcement out from below, but at least that's only two vertical cuts. And why not just build an entirely new LONGER crossmember; drilling extra holes in the reinforcement? The earlier pre-67 a-bodies needed cutting for dual exhaust anyway.

What is the abhorrence to reinforcing the floor ABOVE the crossmember? It takes a very proficient welder to do all that overhead welding, but if the section in the tunnel was sliced completely out, a lot could be done from above. A few layers of strap up top would go a long way to strengthening that area. I've seen plenty of these that had very few factory welds attaching the reinforcement to the floor up inside the tunnel anyway. I hate it when sparks go down my neck! Bad enough to fight them when cutting the reinforcement out from below, but at least that's only two vertical cuts. And why not just build an entirely new LONGER crossmember; drilling extra holes in the reinforcement? The earlier pre-67 a-bodies needed cutting for dual exhaust anyway.
I was building a 1962 S series that was to have a factory super charged GM V6/turbo700. Rego killed the project as it was 41cc's to large to suit their reg's!! Anyway, I was replacing the trans tunnel with the matching one to the trans so I had the chance to replace the reinforcing from above. I made a new one from box section and made the modification for the exhaust at the same time. Quick and simple job!

f61882691.jpg

f70278035.jpg

f70850315.jpg

f70944083.jpg

Here's what I had to cut on the crossmember to fit the 200-4R in my '73 Sport. That and buying the adapter kit was the only big issue with going with this trans. No cutting on the tunnel is required.

View attachment 1716011237
Thanks for the picture. That helps a lot. You mention an adaptor kit. What all is included ? Where did you get it? Is it more than the Reid transmission adaptor? Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks for the picture. That helps a lot. You mention an adaptor kit. What all is included ? Where did you get it? Is it more than the Reid transmission adaptor? Thanks in advance!!!
While the Wilcap engine plate does work, it is is an ugly solution that even when properly trimmed can get in the way of virtually anything passing near the bellhousing. It also moves the transmission farther back in the car slightly by the thickness of the plate.

Using a Reid bellhousing does require cutting the bellhousing off the 2004R and bolting an adapter ring to the front pump housing of the 2004R.

What is the overall length of this GM trans compared to the Mopar tranny's?

While the Wilcap engine plate does work, it is is an ugly solution that even when properly trimmed can get in the way of virtually anything passing near the bellhousing. It also moves the transmission farther back in the car slightly by the thickness of the plate.

Using a Reid bellhousing does require cutting the bellhousing off the 2004R and bolting an adapter ring to the front pump housing of the 2004R.
I think I understand what you're saying after looking at some pictures. It looks like the Reid bellhousing is a much better solution. The transmission company building the tranny can do that work pretty easily while they're doing everythiung else.

That's why I asked about length of the GM trans. If it's shorter overall that would make up for the length difference between the GM and the Mopar trans.
I thought the 200 series GM trans was the weak noodle one that couldn't take much power, thought you had to get into the 700 series or a 4L series to get some beef

-
Back