Overheard at a car show

-
I've had people ask me what year is my NOVA...:toothy10:

OK, OK...To be fair, I removed all the chrome and "Dodge" insignas from my Dart...

DartGT010107008-1.jpg

I've never HEARD it called a Nova, but most guys have to ask what my car is.(No badging,either!) My all time favourite is the Hurst 4 speed trans! Gets me everytime!

IMG_0489 (Small).JPG

Personally I enjoy listening to the vendors and swap meet guys making things up about what they have for sale esp 1000 bucks for a 440 hemi injector set up.

Everywhere i go i get the same question "WHY WOULD YOU RUIN A NICE CAR WITH ALL THOSE STICKERS" or "BOY YOU MUST REALLY LIKE RICHARD PETTY"

That is a sweet kit car!

I've never HEARD it called a Nova, but most guys have to ask what my car is.(No badging,either!) My all time favourite is the Hurst 4 speed trans! Gets me everytime!
another nice F!

I have a friend that is a ford man all the way....it floored me to hear him say the fastest car in his hometown was a 340 demon :snakeman:...never thought I'd hear that from him.seen him out run lot's of stuff with his maverick.he never lined up to my dart convertable.

I`ve had a similar incident with one of the Chevy guys at a local car show. He was used to me bringing my big block Barracuda to the shows and when I showed up with my stock `68 340 Dart I downplayed it in comparison to my Barracuda. He was very humbled and said "nah man, these 340`s were Rat (big block Chevy) killers back in the day".

Actually Dynacorn, the company that makes the reproduction Camaro and Mustang shells are doing 70-72 GM A bodies now. 1 Shell for all 4 cars. You have to add the roof panel/quarter ect to build which car you want. So it can be done but its a whole lot of work to do on a used shell.

Its no different then building a Demon from a Duster.

Saying to his son that "Because emblems and decals are reproduced now, thats all you need to do" is where the humor comes in. Obviously with time, patients, talent and tools anything is possible. My father has been restoring award winning classics and musclecars for decades and decided to build a custom for everyday driving. His specialty is '55-'56 Fords, so he decided to incorporate that into the build. He started with an '89 Super Coupe and about 10 months later ended up with this. And by the way, at shows, people tell him that had one just like years ago.

100_2054.jpg

when my girls dad starts drinking he likes to tell the story about how his 55 chevy with a 327 would pull the wheels off the ground shifting into 2nd. now this i want to see. oh and also how his stock 350 crate engine with block hugger headers and a performer intake makes 350 horse. i dont think so. but i just smile and say cool!

Been told they never made a Charger in 1966
My 66 Charger had been called a Nova,Duster,Challenger,Torino,Impala Nobody knew what it was.
Been told on my GTS the radius cut rear quarters are not cut right.There not cut like a Hemi car pattern.Hello they were cut in 1974 when nobody cared about Hemi cars or clones!!
My buddy had a 440 Hemi.
They never made a 383 GTS in 1967.
Been asked how come my 70 Road Runner is missing the big wing.
68 Coronet was called a GTO alot.

...............and even the Chevy guys agree that there are more "SS" cars now than the factory ever produced............................:-D
...........then there is the guy that had a factory hemi Duster - 1975 no less (he couldn't quite remember)................:toothy10:
Daryl

I have a chain as a safety in case my motor mount breaks. It was installed by the previous owner when he drag raced it. I've had more assholes coment on that stupid chain than anything. One dickhead even suggested I chrome it cause it looked bad. I watched him and his buddy walk to there vehicles. One was in a ratty f150 and his buddy on a motor cycle.

:bootysha:Quite a while back some Older Lady asked me how I was coming along with my Studebaker. I don't know maybe the big back window and the bug eye headlights on my 65 Barracuda threw her off, ha ha ha

One time I came back to the car at the beach and there was a guy doing a line of coke on my trunk. I ask 'WTF' and he says 'Chill man, it's like I'm doin coke in the 70's!'. I don't think so.

Another time I had a lady tell me she was positive my car was the same one she lost her virginity in, in the back seat. She says that the front fender even has this little rust spot. Well, that little rust spot just happened over the past 2 years, so most unlikely. Either way I don't really want to know if someone lost their virginity on my seats.

When I still had my '76 Feather Duster, I was amazed how many people also must have bought them, just like mine. Very funny.

I just stand in front of my car and pretend its not mine, then when people look at it I just listen. Some say it looks nice, and some times there are some pretty bad comments.

:thebirdm:

Saying to his son that "Because emblems and decals are reproduced now, thats all you need to do" is where the humor comes in. Obviously with time, patients, talent and tools anything is possible. My father has been restoring award winning classics and musclecars for decades and decided to build a custom for everyday driving. His specialty is '55-'56 Fords, so he decided to incorporate that into the build. He started with an '89 Super Coupe and about 10 months later ended up with this. And by the way, at shows, people tell him that had one just like years ago.
That is just SWEET. I don't care if it IS a Ford. That is simply a showcase of some awesome skills, in my opinion.

I had a friend's grandfather ask me why my Duster dosen't have a handle sticking out of the front. I was like "ha...". Then my friend came over a couple of days ago to check out my Charger and his grandfather came with him. He asked me "why do they call it a Charger?". Then he made cracks about credit cards and whatnot.

and now they make kits of them

and now they make kits of them

The kits that are produced, make the car look like a '49-'51 ford. Thats what my dad was going to build, but wanted something different. He actually did use some pieces from that company, but made fiberglass molds from another '55 for the 1/4's. All the brightwork is original 55 trim that was reworked to fit the 89 body.

The kits that are produced, make the car look like a '49-'51 ford. Thats what my dad was going to build, but wanted something different. He actually did use some pieces from that company, but made fiberglass molds from another '55 for the 1/4's. All the brightwork is original 55 trim that was reworked to fit the 89 body.

That car is nice. It's some great work and that's a fact.

I always like to hear the "pro's" pick apart my 67 GTX, so I pretend to not be the owner. When I got it, it was missing all of the high dollar items like the gascap, the taillights and the wheellip mouldings, and guys would come around and show off their Mopar knowledge to their friends and point out those incorrect items. Many times I wanted to say " Hey, if you'd loan me the $2000.00 to purchase these items, I'd gladly have them on the next time you'd like to pick my car apart in front of your friends". Instead, I just sit back and smile. Don't roast me for it not being an A-body, I got those too, but I've had this car longer than any of my other cars and the kid's love to ride in it. It does the best burnouts of any of my cars!!! Geof

Ever notice that it's not just the ignorant but the snobs, too? "I have something you don't have?" kinda thing. Our first trip to Carlisle back in '96 was a good example of this. Stood in one of the buildings watching a guy polish his car with a diaper, treating everyone like crap. I forget what it was specifically, but a Challenger of this color, with this color interior and this color stripe, with these wheels and a luggage rack, and thanks to mistake from the factory it was the only one of these to ever come like this missing the left exhaust tip... people were asking questions about his car or complimenting it and he was blowing them off when two guys came up, had to be father and son, looking like they had gotten off the John Deere in the parking lot when the younger of the two (had to be about 15, 16 years old) started complimenting the car.
"Nice car, Mister."
"Yeah, it is," the guy with the diaper replied. (No "thank you" just a statement of fact for this guy...)
"Wow, Dad, I hope our Hemicuda turns out this nice when we're done."
That was when the guy with car dropped his diaper.
My Pop and I couldn't help it, but cracked right up. We don't know if they were jerking his chain or not, but the look of shock on his face that these two farmers might have a Hemicuda sitting at home was worth it.

I support the cars I've done by going to shows with them. The judges (on a local level) can be just as ignorant. Did a '65 Mustang GT notchback, factory 289/4speed car for a kid that we put in the open Mustang class and he had points deducted because, according to the judges, Ford never made a GT notch, even as a they were awarding points to a GT350 clone that started life as a 200/auto car.
Or people who look at Pop's '54 Ford 239 OHV, with the hood open! and ask if it's a flathead. Or the ones, who find out that's its a three on the tree with the overdrive, say 1.) that's a funny looking auto shifter; or 2.) they never made an overdrive for that, what it got a Gear Vendors?
Heard one kid at a car show look at flathead V12 Packard from one side of the car and say to his buddy "hey, look it's a flathead slant 6!" Or the guys looking at the hot rods with flatheads in 'em and state "shoulda put a smallblock Chevy in it."

Though there may be some "Jerk Off's" at these show at least they are there supporting the hobby.

Plus, it is a good time to educate!

Ever notice that it's not just the ignorant but the snobs, too? "I have something you don't have?" kinda thing. Our first trip to Carlisle back in '96 was a good example of this. Stood in one of the buildings watching a guy polish his car with a diaper, treating everyone like crap. I forget what it was specifically, but a Challenger of this color, with this color interior and this color stripe, with these wheels and a luggage rack, and thanks to mistake from the factory it was the only one of these to ever come like this missing the left exhaust tip... people were asking questions about his car or complimenting it and he was blowing them off when two guys came up, had to be father and son, looking like they had gotten off the John Deere in the parking lot when the younger of the two (had to be about 15, 16 years old) started complimenting the car.
"Nice car, Mister."
"Yeah, it is," the guy with the diaper replied. (No "thank you" just a statement of fact for this guy...)
"Wow, Dad, I hope our Hemicuda turns out this nice when we're done."
That was when the guy with car dropped his diaper.
My Pop and I couldn't help it, but cracked right up. We don't know if they were jerking his chain or not, but the look of shock on his face that these two farmers might have a Hemicuda sitting at home was worth it.

I support the cars I've done by going to shows with them. The judges (on a local level) can be just as ignorant. Did a '65 Mustang GT notchback, factory 289/4speed car for a kid that we put in the open Mustang class and he had points deducted because, according to the judges, Ford never made a GT notch, even as a they were awarding points to a GT350 clone that started life as a 200/auto car.
Or people who look at Pop's '54 Ford 239 OHV, with the hood open! and ask if it's a flathead. Or the ones, who find out that's its a three on the tree with the overdrive, say 1.) that's a funny looking auto shifter; or 2.) they never made an overdrive for that, what it got a Gear Vendors?
Heard one kid at a car show look at flathead V12 Packard from one side of the car and say to his buddy "hey, look it's a flathead slant 6!" Or the guys looking at the hot rods with flatheads in 'em and state "shoulda put a smallblock Chevy in it."

Ramenth, I like your correlation between him polishing his car with a diaper and treating everyone like "crap". Sounds like that's what he was polishing his ego with!!! Thanks for the laugh, Geof

I've taken my truck to a couple car shows. The one show I went to before the front end was changed I pulled in and got setup and registered and everything and this guy in a ratty @$$ 67 Chevy pulls in. like farm fresh and looks over at my 98 Dodge SS/T giving me this look of "wtf is that doing here?" Over the course of the day with people giving me a generally sh*tty attitude about the new truck I pulled out of the spot I was parked in left with a smoky burnout and drove away.

Supporting the hobby or dumbing it down, that is the question. :toothy10:
I agree with ramenth about the hot shot super heroes who could care less about the nice folks who show up and pay the admission so these guy's can win the prizes. :angry7:
Maybe those guy's do need to be educated.

-
Back