Paint experts: What color is this?

-

moparmandan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Want to build a car like my first. 1971 Charger. Question is, what the hell color is this? Don't remember the code. Definitely factory. I always thought it was Top Bananna. Citron Yella, or ????? My brother called it puke green. LOL. Finding a decent starter car for a reasonable price will be the hard part.

Scan0011.jpg

navy dan 001.jpg

Scan0012.jpg

Yes, top banana shows up on some paint chip lists and not others. That's why I was confused. Thanks all.

BTW it grows on you after a while. Haha.

I'm going against the grain here...That kind of looks like Butterscotch/Bahama Yellow to ME ??

Hmmm. I'll have to look EL5 up. I'm fairly sure it was Top Banana, though. Those are 36 year old washed out photos of a 10 year old paint job that hadn't seen wax in a while.

It looks like FY1 to me.

Some 1971 paint charts that show it at The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1971 Paint Chip Charts

it did not make all the '71 paint chip charts as seen above because it was originally not carried over from '70. But they canceled B7 blue early in the '71 model year & brought Y1 back in its place.
I quote your site often. You have compiled a treasure trove of information there. Thanks for that.

Another vote here for EL5 Butterscotch.
Actually, that's the first one that came to mind...........

Looked at some pic's of cars with EL5 and I am more convinced it's FY1. The oranged out photo's really mask the Yellowness (???).
I remember thinking when Dad drove to my job to show it to me, DAMN that's yellow!

It doesn't look like Butterscotch to me but that may be the pictures. It's probably just some random yellow. Many times colors "close to" the OEMs were used for cost savings. They do not look like the OEMs in most cases to me, but the guy mixing it thinks it does/did.

It doesn't look like Butterscotch to me but that may be the pictures. It's probably just some random yellow. Many times colors "close to" the OEMs were used for cost savings. They do not look like the OEMs in most cases to me, but the guy mixing it thinks it does/did.
Never repainted. Factory color.

Then the pictures are skewing the looks. It's either the bright yellow or butterscotch but that's going to help you. I'd look at restored examples of both (pictures are fine - they'll be much beter in digital format).

Photo's are no doubt skewed. See post 13 and 16. Really orange. Again, they're 36 year old photo's of a 10 year old 1971 paint job. Buuuut there all I've got to go by. And my memory. I was almost always positive it was Top Banana (the car was really YELLOW) but didn't always see it showing up in 1971. Thanks for all the help!
It looks like FY1 to me.

Some 1971 paint charts that show it at The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1971 Paint Chip Charts

it did not make all the '71 paint chip charts as seen above because it was originally not carried over from '70. But they canceled B7 blue early in the '71 model year & brought Y1 back in its place.

Thank-you. That explains a lot! Starting to think I was going crazy.

-
Back