Paint Job

-

cuda91

Reaction score
hey this summer, i plan to sandblast then repaint my 1968 barracuda, i dont know if to go with same it is now, wine red, or green like it was when it was new, or blue? feel free to post your input, thanks

Be careful sandblasting sheet metal, especially large panels like the roof. Easy to warp the crap out of it.

Use either plastic media, or walnut shell media. Both do well without the pitting that using sand can cause.... And it doesn't heat up and warp your sheet metal!

Or you could soda blast it.

This is an interesting topic.With soda or walnuts can you just use a good sand blaster ,also what kind of pressure do you use ,more or less than sand?
I have access to a sand blaster and this would make it alot faster and easier for some parts of my car.Approximately price would I expect to pay for the soda/walnut shell verses sand?
thanks
glenn

There is a lot of very good info about blasting and medias on the web.
Tips like where to start on a hood, dont change directions, etc.. I have one issue with any media blasting... a friend of mine had his car professionally done over 3 years ago and she still spills a little media on the garage floor from those hidden , impossible to clean, areas.
The dry ice media is the latest inovation I'm aware of. It leaves no residue. It doesn't remove undercoating any better than the other medias though.

Glenn, you can use walnut shells with a home style sandblaster, but the soda blasing and ice blasting take special equipment. I find that sandblasting works well for places like the interior, inside the trunk, under hood areas, bottom of the car, and around any area that has SOLID metal adjacent to it. I would never use this method for areas like door or quarter panels, hood, trunk lid, etc. And, as RedFish pointed out, it is very messy and difficult to clean up.

I would strip the body with either sanding or my favorite, AirCraft stripper, and only use sandblasting on the rusty spots. Both sandblasting and paint stripper are pretty harmful things to breath, so be sure to use a paint mask or similar for those tasks.

I sandblasted the underside, interior and engine bay of the Demon. It was very messy and yes, there is still sand falling out of places that are impossible to clean. That being said, I would sandblast any project I am starting. Once you get done with the sandblasting you will find any area that is a little week and you can address it then. I ended up welding in a few patches in places that were a little week but not rusted through. Better to do it then , instead of having to do it 2 years after your build.

Jack

Back to the question about color. I would do it what ever color tickles your fancy. These are not particularly valuable cars that painting them a non stock color will make a big difference in their value. And there are a multitude of more interesting colors than what was offered in 68 to chose from. BTW, mine was orignally Q1 fire Blue Metallic with a medium blue interior, a real boring combination IMHO.

I painted mine sub-lime because; 1) I wanted some thing that was different and noticable, 2) This was to be my first attempt at doing body and paint work. solid colors are easier to apply for the novice and the bright color will hide a multitude of not so good body work.

NewTires007-1.jpg

I am working on 8 years an over 50k miles on that paint job and it will need to be repainted here in the next few years. Now that I have had more experience it is going to be a tangerine orange metallic for the next paint job.

Back to the question about color. I would do it what ever color tickles your fancy. These are not particularly valuable cars that painting them a non stock color will make a big difference in their value. And there are a multitude of more interesting colors than what was offered in 68 to chose from. BTW, mine was orignally Q1 fire Blue Metallic with a medium blue interior, a real boring combination IMHO.

I painted mine sub-lime because; 1) I wanted some thing that was different and noticable, 2) This was to be my first attempt at doing body and paint work. solid colors are easier to apply for the novice and the bright color will hide a multitude of not so good body work.

NewTires007-1.jpg

I am working on 8 years an over 50k miles on that paint job and it will need to be repainted here in the next few years. Now that I have had more experience it is going to be a tangerine orange metallic for the next paint job.

ALL MoPar's are valuable to a real enthusiast.

Well when E-bodies Barracudas have fetched as much as 3 million dollars $10-15 grand for a second generation Barracuda is not particularly valuable.

I have a total including the purchase price of the car of less than $10k invested. I figure it might fetch $10-12k if I was to sell it.

I figure it might fetch $10-12k if I was to sell it. Dont sell yourself short. You have a really nice looking car.

Well when E-bodies Barracudas have fetched as much as 3 million dollars $10-15 grand for a second generation Barracuda is not particularly valuable.

I have a total including the purchase price of the car of less than $10k invested. I figure it might fetch $10-12k if I was to sell it.

You're talking monetary value.
I'm talking love for the car.
your notchback would get a lot more than 10-12k.
that thing is beautiful!

-
Back