Paint shop Jail...Looking forward to release date.

-
That's basically what I charged to do all of the rust repairs, paint & body, all of the interior, all of the wiring, and all mechanical on the last '69 RR I did.
wow nice work gary and i love that color if i seen a paint chip of that color i wouldent think it would look good on anything.

wow nice work gary and i love that color if i seen a paint chip of that color i wouldent think it would look good on anything.

Thanks - I agree on the color. When the owner said that was what he wanted, I was like OOOOKAAAY. Once we shot some color and I saw it outside, I was shocked.

That is for paint, body work, color sand and buff, rust repair, floor pan replaced, sound deadened inside, undercoating, welding up all emblem holes and antenna hole.

Now, for another update. I called yesterday Thursday the 25 th of July. He said "I'm gonna have paint on it this week". I said its Thursday, so your gonna paint it tomorrow? You could almost hear crickets over the phone. Then it was I'll probably paint it this weekend. I told him I was going to come up today and take some pics of the car. Now get this, after what he just told me, he says "we'll, call me first to make sure I'm there to meet you". HOW IS HE GOING TO PAINT IT IF HE IS NOt THERE!!!! I'm so sick of the f---er I could scream!!!

It's almost done... Then you'll be rid of him and you can open up about how he's raped you and delayed it. Honestly I can't understand his billing.

I've never wanted something to be over so bad as this whole ordeal.

Blows my mind what body shops charge, but the fact of the matter is it takes a great deal of time to do a proper job. Over a year!......that's a bit excessive. Quick in and out jobs and collision repairs are where all the money is at. I guess if I figured out what I've done on my car I'd be well north of 30k.

I just look at another post I did on may 4 th 2013. He said that day that he only need one more day of sanding before it would be ready for paint. May 4th!

An that's brutal.. I went to college for paint and body work so I'll be doing it all my self.. again.. I learned some stuff since the first go around in high school so hopefully my quarters don't rust out again..

Same here. Been working the 72 Scamp,4 years running. All the panels straight. Shaved the running lights, bonded a Hemi scoop,to a stock hood. The time involved, beyond staggering. Just ,what it ended up.

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY YOUV'E GOT TO PAY!!! That isnt to bad I paid close to that to this point and still have more to go... My paint shop had my car close to 2 mounths and I said to them if your to busy right now I'll take it home and bring it back when you have more time. Well less than a week later the car was painted wet sanded, buffed, and going back together.. It was like playing Russian roulette but it worked out for me. They did a awsome job 20 coats of sandable primer so they say to get the body flawless. I have won 3 cruise in's already and have been to 3. They got the body lines perfect. I told them not to make it a show car but they said there reputation was on the line with the car so they went the extra mile. It cost me $3200 to have the car done with a door skin and front fenders> I purchased the sheet metal they installed it. (No rust just dented real bad) Bill

we have a resto company here in town... they have a 3 year waiting list and for full 100% restoration they told me they sometimes end up costing 85K

last time I was over to yack with them they had a 1970 cougar convertible I think it was. looked better than a car in a dealer's showroom lol. amazing work. big money.

so when I finally get my duster back (1.5 years so far) I wont be complaining. i'm spending a fraction of the cost that some people spend.

wow we build a complete Super Stock Hemi Dart In 9 Months, and there is just two of us... from the day your fist check clears to the day you have keys in hand, oh and we supply the car...

you guys are paying a ton of money and a long time to wait... our turn around is 6 weeks for a full strip and re-paint

And Im Calling Out Gary! you dont charge enough if thats a 22K job!

Attachments

• wheelsup.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 665
  • DSCN1371.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 649
"And Im Calling Out Gary! you dont charge enough if thats a 22K job!"

You're probably right but I felt sorry for the guy since he ended up so deep into the car (it needed EVERYTHING). I basically worked for about 200+ hours for free but I really wanted him to be happy since I was re-establishing myself back here in South Florida. I wanted a good word of mouth client and a good reference vehicle for people to see some of my work. It worked. I now have 2 client cars in the shop and another one due in later this week all because of my work his car.

Ed what do yall get for a turnkey 68 Hemi Dart clone? Stock stroke 426, single color.

wow we build a complete Super Stock Hemi Dart In 9 Months, and there is just two of us... from the day your fist check clears to the day you have keys in hand, oh and we supply the car...

you guys are paying a ton of money and a long time to wait... our turn around is 6 weeks for a full strip and re-paint

And Im Calling Out Gary! you dont charge enough if thats a 22K job!

7-31-13 Update: Dropped in unannounced again today. Only one employee there today (and he was playing on the computer). The painter told me thursday of last week that he was going to get some paint on the car by the weekend. Well the weekend has come and gone. The car is sitting there with no paint on it. However it has been sanded on. But rest assured, I was told today "we're gonna get some paint on her this week." BLAH,BLAH,BLAH!!

Every time I see this thread pop back up I always hope to see your car painted....
It was too cold around Christmas...
What is their excuse now?
Too hot and it needs to cool down?

One day I'll post a pic of it painted. But after reading some of the replys I don't know. Some have waited 5 years. Geez!

That's bullshit! And you have to pay to play? Yea that applies to any luxury in life but " you have to pay and get screwed" that seems to be more like it in this case. I've seen way too many good people get screwed by autobody shops. They use your down deposit to float other projects that they are behind on while your car sits in the back collecting dust. Obviously your car is not a priority to them and they are taking advantage of your kindness. It's time for you to put your foot down and start threatening pulling your car, filing a law suit if they hold your car or money. I've bought many a car that were victims of body shops closing their doors unbenounced to the car owners. I feel for you man and as a former business owner and body man it's inexcusable what they are doing. Hell bring it to NorCal and ill finish the damn thing! Lol.

Pulling the car won't get him ahead at this point. The shop has done significant work and are entitled to get paid for that work so even if he did take the shop to court, the best he could hope for is a recovery of a little of the money.

THEN..... He gets to start all over again with a new shop that may let it sit forever.

I still don't think over a year for rust repair, body restoration and paint is unreasonable.

Go out and look at your car, one square inch at a time, for one minute per inch.

See how long that takes......

It takes longer to perfect every square inch of a car for a real show quality refinish.

If you know what you are doing and not a total retard, bodywork and rust repair does not take that long if you are efficient. My dad and I use to own a body shop so if anybody knows what the hell they are talking about I think I do. Ive completely done a full restomod, mini tub, shaved all trim, recessed fuel cell, multiple filler prime coats and have blocked the living **** out of it to a lazer straight finish. Its going jet black so I think ive covered "every square inch" of it IN A YEARS TIME, AFTER WORK AND ON THE WEEKENDS.
Not to mention doing other rust and sheet metal repairs on other vehicles. Ive met a ton of guys that have claimed to be bodymen and have seen the crap that the have turned out. I learned from guys that fix real 427 cobra race cars that rich bastards have piled into the walls at Laguna Seca and Infineon. Then they show them in concours events like nothing ever happened. Sure it may not be the best thing to yank it at this point, but without lighting a serious fire under their ***, It will get shuffled around until it hits the 5 year mark which is bullshit. Maybe folks in Oklahoma do things at a different pace than we do out here in Cali but It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that hes getting jerked around and it pisses me off............................................

It doesn't take us Oklahoma boys long to figure out he is getting a reach around either. This is complete bs considering it was almost ready for paint 6 months ago.

I don't care about you being pist off. I care about him getting his car completed.

And pulling it will start the process over..... And if you really did own a body shop with your Dad, would you warranty the body restoration or even the paint if he brought you the car in primer?

One thing I have learned from being in the Auto body industry:

Those that can, just do it.

Those that can't brag.

-
Back