Paint shop Jail...Looking forward to release date.

-
This guys actions are absolutely uncalled for!! My oldest brother traded for a 67 Galaxie fastback in probably October or November. He took the car straight to a body shop in Denver. The car was 99% rust free but had a few small dings. The first time they painted it the clear got messed up somehow so they repainted, the second time it didn't have as much pearl in it as he'd wanted but decided to let it go. My bro then decided he wanted to take the lower molding off as it wa dinged up, when one of the workers took it off he ground down the rivets tho he wasn't suppose to.. So the owner of the shop decided to repaint the entire car AGAIN!! They also completely repainted the engine, engine compartment, all the suspension parts and undercoated it. My brothers TOTAL bill was $3,300 plus $400 for misc parts!!! And he got it back a week or 2 ago already!!!

When time comes for paint on my Duster I'm drivin it out to CO!!

View attachment image.jpg

yeah this whole thread is why im doing all my own paint and body work. will it be perfect? probably not. will it be thousands of dollars? definatly not.at the end of the day though as long as i like it and am proud of it thats all that matters to me. plus i get to learn something new and that never hurt anyone.

yeah this whole thread is why im doing all my own paint and body work. will it be perfect? probably not. will it be thousands of dollars? definatly not.at the end of the day though as long as i like it and am proud of it thats all that matters to me. plus i get to learn something new and that never hurt anyone.

:cheers: Me too!

maybe. maybe not. paint will probably cost you $500. add 1 amd body part and you will be over $1000.

good luck

I don't know how that galaxie was painted 1x let alone 3x for that money. I have nearly 3 in materials alone!

Ik!! I bout flipped when he told me the total!! I bout laughed in his face when we were out there, he was half way grumbling about how the guy had said a few times it should be done within the week and wasn't! I was like "dude!! It's been in the shop for like 3 months!!" Then I meantioned this thread to him along with many other jail horror stories I've heard!!

Maybe your brother was afraid you might tell his wife how much he spent so he told you a little fib.

Lol! I doubt he did as he's been callin me quite a bit since he got the car and keepin me updated. I'm the classic car nut in our family so he's been callin me WAY more than normal!! Lol! He traded for the car and got it for a really good deal (like he always does) he's plannin on putting it on cl for trade.. He's hopin he can find a kid with a running project 70-71 challenger or 67 Chevelle that can't afford to finish it and wants a completed car. Then he'll trade the galaxie for a high value car and fix that one. Knowin him he'll get it done too... Lol

I paid 3000 for my car to be done with them putting a new skin on the drivers door and a front fender (used) on the same side it was about 2 months maybe less..And he did extras and stuck to he quote..I gave his guys $100 tip each for doing such a nice job and taking the extra care to make sure it was right...Picture in avitar...Bill

I paid 3000 for my car to be done with them putting a new skin on the drivers door and a front fender (used) on the same side it was about 2 months maybe less..And he did extras and stuck to he quote..I gave his guys $100 tip each for doing such a nice job and taking the extra care to make sure it was right...Picture in avitar...Bill

I'm glad you guys were able to get such good deals. My A$$ is gonna be sore for a long time after the screwing i've taken.

Oh, by the way Jailbird has been cleared coated and the sanding has begun. In case anyone was wondering the two weeks he needed to finish ended today. No surprise. I talked to him yesterday. He said he repainted one of the panels because it had some orange peel in it. It is getting done slowly but surely. The waiting continues.

Sounds like you're getting a primo paint job; too bad it is taking so long, but it will be worth the wait...well maybe, but it's getting done right. That's good to know I'm sure!

Man, been a while since I chkd this thread.....sorry bout the run-around. Keep motivated and it will eventually get back in your hands!

My next project will hopefully not require much body/welding work, but if it does Im gonna try learning to weld....and lotsa bondo!! LOL

If it's in clear, and he's sanding it, why did he have to repaint peel? You sand it down.
So this guy's lied, overcharged, ignored, and now threatened a lien. You can cut and buff clear coat if you can rebuild a steering column. Get the car out, and then I'd make damn sure his life is miserable for a while. Call the town. Call the EPA. Call the labor board. Call the BBB. Call a few drunk biker friends. I'd tell him to his face that I'm making it my mission to make sure his only buisiness is God - because he needs to focus on his faith.

If it's in clear, and he's sanding it, why did he have to repaint peel? You sand it down.
So this guy's lied, overcharged, ignored, and now threatened a lien. You can cut and buff clear coat if you can rebuild a steering column. Get the car out, and then I'd make damn sure his life is miserable for a while. Call the town. Call the EPA. Call the labor board. Call the BBB. Call a few drunk biker friends. I'd tell him to his face that I'm making it my mission to make sure his only buisiness is God - because he needs to focus on his faith.

Correction on my part. He did say he sanded and repainted the panel. Thanks for the support. You guys are great. I'm definitely ready to start the reassembly process. However; I just read that mini tub thread and i'm gonna have to pull the trigger and do it. Should have already done it though.
My next car is going to be an education in bondo and welding 101.

its sad how bad people can mistreat people and give their profession a bad name. i live here in rural america and a bad reput will put someone out of business quickly. however,
it takes time and ability to make a pearl out of a turd! those of us in the hobby have found these old cars rust from BOTH sides of the metal!. ya don't know what ya got till it taken down to bare metal. BUT. go to a pro paint store and find out their prices for: epoxy primers, sealers, different types of paints, undercoating, sound deadners, paper, sandpaper, thinners etc, get their shop price but that gives you an idea whats required, then you figure what sheetmetal patches you require and price them through the co you will use. then figure their time to make thse repairs, take it to bare metal, patch es installed , make smaller patches, grinding, filler, sanding, paint primers, sealers, paint, blocking, wet sanding etc. if they tell you they will work on it when not working on wrecks, expect a extended jail stay!
first thing ya got to realize is a shop that caters to wreck repair and a resto shop can be two different apples. not that a shop can't do both, but they generaly do the wrecks first, they pay better.
best thing to do is get references from people you can check out.
the guy that spent $20,000 and went to three cruises and got three trophies. thats what he wanted and is happy and thats great. hopefully he loves the car and keeps it till death. BUT many times a person wants a different car and has to sell the first for lack of space, money, whatever, remember not everyone wants $20,000 or even $6000 in a paint job!! rememeber, it costs NO more to paint a hemi cuda than it does to paint a 318 cuda or slant dart!! interior costs the same, patches bout the same, etc. yep the initilal cost of the car is much different and the value after resto if much different.
ya play ya pay, sometimes a guy learning to do his own body work is a great thing especially on a car he will ACTUALLY drive and enjoy, yes he will makes mistakes, it would not probably be perfect, BUT it can be made perfect later as he learns!????
yes, we get older and wiser. yes i have learned some things. yes, i reqret putting 3 38 slugs thru that guys compressor and asking if he wanted the 4th one thru his kneecap. i do my own bodywork now.....

its sad how bad people can mistreat people and give their profession a bad name. i live here in rural america and a bad reput will put someone out of business quickly. however,
it takes time and ability to make a pearl out of a turd! those of us in the hobby have found these old cars rust from BOTH sides of the metal!. ya don't know what ya got till it taken down to bare metal. BUT. go to a pro paint store and find out their prices for: epoxy primers, sealers, different types of paints, undercoating, sound deadners, paper, sandpaper, thinners etc, get their shop price but that gives you an idea whats required, then you figure what sheetmetal patches you require and price them through the co you will use. then figure their time to make thse repairs, take it to bare metal, patch es installed , make smaller patches, grinding, filler, sanding, paint primers, sealers, paint, blocking, wet sanding etc. if they tell you they will work on it when not working on wrecks, expect a extended jail stay!
first thing ya got to realize is a shop that caters to wreck repair and a resto shop can be two different apples. not that a shop can't do both, but they generaly do the wrecks first, they pay better.
best thing to do is get references from people you can check out.
the guy that spent $20,000 and went to three cruises and got three trophies. thats what he wanted and is happy and thats great. hopefully he loves the car and keeps it till death. BUT many times a person wants a different car and has to sell the first for lack of space, money, whatever, remember not everyone wants $20,000 or even $6000 in a paint job!! rememeber, it costs NO more to paint a hemi cuda than it does to paint a 318 cuda or slant dart!! interior costs the same, patches bout the same, etc. yep the initilal cost of the car is much different and the value after resto if much different.
ya play ya pay, sometimes a guy learning to do his own body work is a great thing especially on a car he will ACTUALLY drive and enjoy, yes he will makes mistakes, it would not probably be perfect, BUT it can be made perfect later as he learns!????
yes, we get older and wiser. yes i have learned some things. yes, i reqret putting 3 38 slugs thru that guys compressor and asking if he wanted the 4th one thru his kneecap. i do my own bodywork now.....

Very well said. Only thing I can't do on my cars is service the A/C other than that I would rather do it myself so I don't have the headache of dealing with a shop.

Ya know, I have tried to do as much of the work on my barracuda myself or with help of friends. Everything but paint, machine work, and upholstery was done in house. Sanding, rust repair, body work, primer, block sanding, painting jams, engine compartment and trunk, engine build, trans build, trim repair, disassembly, reassembly, etc... has been done by us. I still have more than the car is worth ties up. Normal shop rates around here are $72 per. One quoted us 7500 with us doing all the body work, 12000 if they do all the body. 3000 for a quality job is a steal.

Ya know, I have tried to do as much of the work on my barracuda myself or with help of friends. Everything but paint, machine work, and upholstery was done in house. Sanding, rust repair, body work, primer, block sanding, painting jams, engine compartment and trunk, engine build, trans build, trim repair, disassembly, reassembly, etc... has been done by us. I still have more than the car is worth ties up. Normal shop rates around here are $72 per. One quoted us 7500 with us doing all the body work, 12000 if they do all the body. 3000 for a quality job is a steal.
Thats what I have relized that it was a steal... So now we are good friends and I help him out and he helps me...He is 72 years of age and owns a body shop working full time...He is also a native American and knows his s#!t...I personally wont do another car I will buy it done if I need too...But the plan is to keep this one to death...It takes to much money to do these cars over...Bill:burnout:

Well I got a call from my painter today. He says he is gonna call me next week so I can come pick up the dash and other removable pieces to get them out of his way/booth. So maybe there is a light at the end of this tunnel... Or it could be a train! You will have to stay tuned to see if I really get a call next week or not.

-
Back