painted bumpers

-

wireweld

Reaction score
I have a 72 dart and am thinking about getting fiberglass bumpers and painting them the car color.
I would like to see some darts with the bumpers painted to make up my mind.

Thank you

I dont have a Dart but close enough, I took the bumper shocks off of the rear and mounted it like the 72 and earlier before DOT made mopar use those shocks. I dont have a pic of the rear but at least you can see the front, The only draw back to these are IF you get into a wreck, your car is toast, JMO.

Attachments

• duster74b.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 414
you might consider painting them silver...I've actually like the 'chrome' paint. I've sprayed a few items with that and it looks pretty good. You could even shoot some clear over it. But body color looks good too.

412 Stroker nice car. I like how you tucked your bumpers in. Did you have to modify the bumper too?...ie...shorten them width wise. By the way the shock things only helped below 5mph....so you're safe.

I like the look of body color bumpers. I plan on painting my bumpers to match the car.

you might consider painting them silver...I've actually like the 'chrome' paint. I've sprayed a few items with that and it looks pretty good. You could even shoot some clear over it. But body color looks good too.

412 Stroker nice car. I like how you tucked your bumpers in. Did you have to modify the bumper too?...ie...shorten them width wise. By the way the shock things only helped below 5mph....so you're safe.
Thanks for the complement, I did this 3 years ago so if I remember correctly, I didn't do anything to the bumpers themselves, but after removing the shocks I had to fabricate new brackets to hold the bumpers on, by what i meant with the accident thing is there is nothing behind the fiberglas like there was with the steel bumpers, in an accident whatever you hit will go right through the fiberglass, nothing to stop it, maybe you could fab up a solid piece of steel or something, but I did not. just keeping my fingers crossed I dont hit anything, or worse yet someone hits me...

theres a couple companys out there doing it, its a new thing chroming fiberglass

They have been chroming fiberglass for at least 30 years, had a dash done at least that long ago

hmmm plastic then? someone was telling me they are chroming somthing in a new way now.......

Painted the bumpers because the chrome was dull during a last minute thrash to get ready for Car Craft Summer Nats in 2009, liked the contrast so much I'm going to leave them as is.

Attachments

• motor vehicles 006.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 356
  • motor vehicles 010.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 352
The only draw back to these are IF you get into a wreck, your car is toast, JMO.

Your factory bumper jack is now useless, and you have to carry a bottle jack or a AAA card to handle flat tires. My bumpers are kinda sketchy and I've been considering fiberglass also.

Sure with the right prep work.
Sand, acid etch, prime, block, seal first.
Then apply the product.

So tell us more about your "Perfected" Killerchrome process. I've gotten some samples from Alsa before but am a little skeptical of this product.

So tell us more about your "Perfected" Killerchrome process. I've gotten some samples from Alsa before but am a little skeptical of this product.

Here in this link,
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=67485
explaination of procedure! ALOT of prep before application!! Took me several times and a great deal of cash to acheive these results. Again, PREP is critical!!!

It's only as good as the person's patience applying it. Years of paint and body experience helps too!

-
Back