Painting Engine Bay!

-
man oh man that is sweet!! pat your self on the back!!!:cheers:

Thanks 73dodgeman. I'm not going to pat myself on the back for a while because it is killing my right now. LOL!

I think I over did it this weekend.

Next I hope pretty soon I will bolt on the TTI headers and 3" inch exhaust, master cylinder, March pulleys.

WoW! I can't believe you wet sand & buffed the engine compartment! Now that's attention to detail!! Great Work!

LOL! Thanks.

Here is the latest pic I have of the motor it is dirty notice the fan finger prints. LOL Installed the TTI headers Friday so I got that behind me. I'm going to send the March V-belt pulleys back and go with the serpertine belt kit. It comes with the alternator brackets also. So the primed water pump pully, alt, and crank will be better looking in the long run.

DSC01663.jpg

Will do. I was going to get a shot of it on Sunday, but the weather was so bad I didn't get a chance to work on the car. I should be finishing up on Saturday and ready for primer. I'll take some photos at that point.
Well I finally got back to the job this weekend. :cheers:

I finished the sand blasting and manged to get a coat of the self-etching primer (yellow) and then a coat of primer (grey). I'm hoping that I can get the rest of it done this upcoming weekend. We went a little overboard and removed the fenders along with everything else. It actually made it a little easier to make my way around the car. This is the first time I've ever used a paint sprayer, but so far, I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll post more shots next week.

CudaPrimer 001 sm.jpg

CudaPrimer 003 sm.jpg

stimpy,

Where the heck you been?

It's good to go overboard every once in awhile. LOL!

Nice work! Are you sure you haven't done this before?

stimpy,

Where the heck you been?

It's good to go overboard every once in awhile. LOL!

Nice work! Are you sure you haven't done this before?
It's unfortunate, but the job that gives me the money to pay for my "fun" job has kept me away. :toothy10: Been super busy.

Hehe, I just hope that when it's all done, I know how to put all the parts back together. Hopefully if all goes well I'll have the color on this weekend (R6-Crimson). I'll get more shots posted.

If the engine bay turns out okay, I'm going to get courageous and strip my right front fender. The previous owner dented the fender and did a terrible patch job. It needs to be stripped, banged out a little and then filled up again properly (like I know what I'm doing). But I figure if I take my time, it can't be any worse than it is now. I fear that my car won't see the road this summer LOL. But 2009 looks to be a promising summer. :p

It's unfortunate, but the job that gives me the money to pay for my "fun" job has kept me away. :toothy10: Been super busy.

Hehe, I just hope that when it's all done, I know how to put all the parts back together. Hopefully if all goes well I'll have the color on this weekend (R6-Crimson). I'll get more shots posted.

If the engine bay turns out okay, I'm going to get courageous and strip my right front fender. The previous owner dented the fender and did a terrible patch job. It needs to be stripped, banged out a little and then filled up again properly (like I know what I'm doing). But I figure if I take my time, it can't be any worse than it is now. I fear that my car won't see the road this summer LOL. But 2009 looks to be a promising summer. :p

Sounds like you know what your doing to me.

Take your time. Keep it a hobby is what I have to tell myself all of the time LOL!

So I spent more time this weekend on the car (or what's left of it). After some deliberation, we decided to remove the torsion bars, k-member and basically the whole front suspension. Essentially, the car is now an over-sized wheelbarrow. :cheers:

So on the advice of other members here, I used a propane torch and a scraper to remove the undercoating under the fender in the wheel wells. We got the majority of this done over the weekend and about 2/3's of the sandblasting. I figured while we were at it, we might as well paint the whole front-end. There's still quite a bit to go through with the wire-wheel and some more blasting, but if all goes well, I'm hoping to have everything painted and hopefully have the suspension re-assembled during the Canada Day long weekend. Once the front is done, then I'm going to take my torch and scraper underneath the car. :toothy10:

The fun continues.

Cuda-Inner-Fendersm.JPG

So I spent more time this weekend on the car (or what's left of it). After some deliberation, we decided to remove the torsion bars, k-member and basically the whole front suspension. Essentially, the car is now an over-sized wheelbarrow. :cheers:

So on the advice of other members here, I used a propane torch and a scraper to remove the undercoating under the fender in the wheel wells. We got the majority of this done over the weekend and about 2/3's of the sandblasting. I figured while we were at it, we might as well paint the whole front-end. There's still quite a bit to go through with the wire-wheel and some more blasting, but if all goes well, I'm hoping to have everything painted and hopefully have the suspension re-assembled during the Canada Day long weekend. Once the front is done, then I'm going to take my torch and scraper underneath the car. :toothy10:

The fun continues.

doing great stimpy, but we need to see your stuff in its own thread. then we can follow it better! keep up the good work.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll start a new one the next time I have an update.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll start a new one the next time I have an update.

I started this thread and I'm not upset. It's just everyone sees "Painting Engine Bay" and scroll on by because it's a old thread. LOL

When you post your new thread copy and paste the link here so I won't miss it.

Your doing a great job. It will take longer but that's ok because you know that it is right. That's why it took me longer that what I thought because the more I dug the more things that needed addressed it seemed. It's a hobby not a race to get done anyways. I still have not got my hood on yet because I have had a change of mind. I'm going get it painted the satin/flat/matte black (whatever they call it) pretty soon I hope. It will match the 70 AAR Cuda theme and I think it will look good. Talked to the painter today and said that he can't wait to paint it and see it on the car. Nether can I! LOL!

In the pic stimpy just visualize the hood being black. The inserts I will have re chromed one day but the fish is brand new. I think the matte black will make it "pop"!

DSC01682.jpg

DSC01679.jpg

What did you use to paint your blower motor, wiper motor, etc?

What did you use to paint your blower motor, wiper motor, etc?

Striped everything(wiper motor, heater motor, heater motor cover) down to bare metal, wiped bare metal with etching solution, primed with sanding primer two or three coats, sanded with 400 grit to smooth it up, sparyed it with rattle can gloss black LOL!

Not much to it.

Ax', that car is looking amazing!!!!

Can't wait to get mine finished so we can cruise together at least once.

Thanks again for motivating me to get back into the groove of things.

Oh yeah, your hood is gonna look really nice with the matte black, just make sure he puts on matte clear too.

When that hood opens, it's gonna blow some minds, and for some reason I love the way you do things. LOL!

Thanks spaz!

We WILL get together!

I have talked to my buddys at work, friends, and the one that is really picky and that is my mom. She said that it would look great black. I about fell over!

She dosn't understand a lot of the pro street stuff. "You need to make it look original" she says. Bah!

I showed her pictures of your car with the hood. You know the pic you took of the close up of the hood and she loved it.

I've have got some leads on what I need to tell the painter but he is like "I already know what you want." But I have been told flat black with UV protection added, something paint that is original color "Organsol" and of course what you have just mentioned matte clear. I don't know the best method or really anything about what the heck I'm doing spaz but I'm all ears! LOL.

Thanks spaz!

We WILL get together!

I have talked to my buddys at work, friends, and the one that is really picky and that is my mom. She said that it would look great black. I about fell over!

She dosn't understand a lot of the pro street stuff. "You need to make it look original" she says. Bah!

I showed her pictures of your car with the hood. You know the pic you took of the close up of the hood and she loved it.

I've have got some leads on what I need to tell the painter but he is like "I already know what you want." But I have been told flat black with UV protection added, something paint that is original color "Organsol" and of course what you have just mentioned matte clear. I don't know the best method or really anything about what the heck I'm doing spaz but I'm all ears! LOL.

Yeah, same here.
I just trusted the painter with his recommendations and let him do his thing.

Oh, and glad Mom likes it! ha, ha.

Your doing a great job. It will take longer but that's ok because you know that it is right. That's why it took me longer that what I thought because the more I dug the more things that needed addressed it seemed. It's a hobby not a race to get done anyways. I still have not got my hood on yet because I have had a change of mind. I'm going get it painted the satin/flat/matte black (whatever they call it) pretty soon I hope. It will match the 70 AAR Cuda theme and I think it will look good. Talked to the painter today and said that he can't wait to paint it and see it on the car. Nether can I! LOL!

In the pic stimpy just visualize the hood being black. The inserts I will have re chromed one day but the fish is brand new. I think the matte black will make it "pop"!
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's killing me not having the car around for the good weather, but what can you do.

The matte black hood idea is great! The black and chrome contrasting the green is going to look really sharp. I can't wait to see the finished product.

-
Back