Painting Without Removing Engine

-
pull the motor or just wait till you can pull it at a later date. it is definitely a pita to get a decent looking job without pulling the motor. even with a small detail gun you cant get down in the lower spots and it winds up with dry spots were the paint is textured,, I have done paint jobs before were the motor couldn't be pulled at that time and just put the engine compartment off till a later date when it could be done correct, looking at your pics I think if your going back with the same color a cleanup would look nicer than a half assed paint job jm2cw

To be honest, I am not absolutely certain what is under the hood. The bottom end and the cam are the biggest question marks. The seller emphasized the 2.02 heads and the cam more than anything (and I feel pretty certain the cam was changed). I guess he was never clear what was really done to the bottom end other than saying it had been redone. I never thought about a bore to 340 not being possible. The compression is fine in the car--around 10:1. So I guess I really don't know what the heck I have, but it is damn sure fun to drive, particularly the higher into the RPM range it goes.

Was just curious. I asked a shop a long time ago if they could bore a 318 to the 4.04 340 bore and they told me that it cant be done. A 318 can in fact be built up very nice and Im sure it goes very well. I like the color.. all the cars I ever find are light medium or dark green. I guess back in the day green was a popular color.

What color is your car? It looks a lot like mine from your pictures. Mine is T5 Copper/Bronze. I was originally thinking about painting my car some form of bright orange since the rest is going to be black. But now I am leaning towards going back to the stock color.

I have no idea to tell you the truth, I'll look at the tag, but looking at your faded engine bay I believe it's the same. I thought about orange as well since everyone seems to think it's just an orange car anyway, but I like the bronzish color it has. It already has an orange feel to it.

Disconnect everything.Pull the upper control arm bolts and the clips on the rear of the torsion bars and slide them back. Pull the 4 k member bolts and trans cross member bolts and jack the body up till it clears the motor.Cover motor and secure body with stands or sawhorses and do it right.Easier than you think.

before and after

Attachments

• cuda resto 002 (Large).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 125
  • reo 004 (Large).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 127
That's an interesting approach. I like it.

I did this engine compartment at the same time that I did the under side of the hood, after the front end was repaired, adjusted and seam sealed properly;

ScampEngineBayandUnderhood_zps7dca7378.jpg

I like the oven cleaner idea. I pressure washed this one, used commet and a red scuff pad. Go slow when you sand, so you don't slice your hands. There are a lot off places to cut and snag the scotch brite.

I did hit the aprons and flatter areas with some 400 grit paper and used an acid etch primer where I was down to bare metal. It was originally F8 green, went to FJ6, so I used a light gray sealer to get even color coverage.

It was shot right there, in the driveway. I came back over the radiator support center with some flat black single stage rustoleum, thinned 50% with basecoat reducer. I've discovered that laquer thinner does work, but it takes way too long to cure and it mottles in the gun, when you try to clean it. It's better to use acetone or paint thinner, with rustoleum enamels. Nothing has topped using basecoat reducer with it and some japan dry, though, for the black.

Things I pulled out:

-Bulkhead connectors, including the main firewall one (pushed through, masked)
-Radiator
-Intake manifold
-Valve covers
-Distributor
-Ballast, Voltage Regulator, Ignition Module
-Wiper motor
-All 4 wiring harnesses, battery, cables, starter relay
-Battery, tray, brackets and horns
-Washer bottle, hoses, clips
-Master cylinder (brake lines pulled away from firewall and masked, along with clips that unscrewed)
-Throttle cable, masked the e brake line, pulled away as far as I could.
-Power steering gearbox and pump (this really helps get everything nice)
-Exhaust manifolds (this is also a key part to remove)
-Charcoal canister and line
-Galvanized headlamp buckets, headlamp bezels, grille, bumper filler and front bumper...
-Hood latch and support bracket (painted off the car)
-Hood bumpers, Adjuster stops, weatherstrip sections and of course, insulation and clips from the hood

I also masked the shocks (if I had to do it again, I'd just take them out) and masked the heater core tubes at the firewall and any insulation showing, as well as the steering column and mount plate hole at the firewall, inside, unbolted the plate and slipped paper in there. I also masked the K member at the joining areas. I wasn't concerned too much about it, though, I didn't want lots of overspray on it or the strut rods, so they got taped, too. That pic is showing the car partially unmasked. The fenders were masked, to keep junk from flying into the paint, car was bagged and the K member was masked, though. That's why they're not snot green as well.

This also gave me a good opportunity to restore one of the component sets at a time, before putting it all back in. Gave me a good opportunity to check wiring on a multimeter and fix everything nice, get rid of bad connectors, replace bad wires, etc, while re-wrapping them.

Harnesses are easy to clean up. If you hang them from a wire and tie off branch areas with a single piece of tape, it gives you the structure and allows you to still remove or add new wiring, before wrapping it again.

A good thing to do is to take a bright LED light with you to check color coverage in odd areas. It's easy to miss something with shadows cast all over the place. It also helps a ton to check clear/ gloss even coverage everywhere. I had a light with me, while I was painting, to grab and check everything, before moving to the next area and next stage.

ScampEnginebay03_zps075b1475.jpg

I ended up redoing the engine (flattened cam, bad oil) anyway, but it's still plenty nice for a driver and is usually one of the cleaner cars at local cruises.

If I was going to make the car extremely show quality, the K member and everything else would come out and I'd clean the entire under side of the car up and redo the undercoat. I may end up doing the front end again and I have a spare K and components for that swap. I think I'll do that when I swap the stick in, but for now, I like the results. ~

ScampEnginebeforeteardown_zps6a7aa2e5.jpeg

-
Back