Pam's Jamaican Blue Baby

-
Dont even say it.....

I already wrote a budget up and had convinced myself that this is going to be a low budget build......Confused was hear today and we started talking about thi$ and that..........looking on line at some swag parts.....thinking big...wayyyyy too big....man, I wish I was a rich man.

My kids need to go to college some day......but well see...I have some plans and If I get the hang of my welder you never know....stranger things have been built in this garage.....maybe I drop the rockers....drop the fender........yea that sound sweet....:snakeman:

Just say maybe.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_2548.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,044
If your gona keep the slant and rebild it. Why not put a hair dryer on it and give it some more zip.

That's an option....having a hole on the driver side of the hood for a screwy thing is another option...third is low dollar but high output build. I have the 4 bbl intake and a gentleman that is an old mopar guru to help me on my way.

I bring it in tomorrow and we decide which way to go.

If I had serious fundage I would go with the blower a la mad max.:spiderma:

http://aussiespeedusa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=27

Mop

OK...tonight I moved the car to it's winter resting place....14" to the right from where it's been to be exact.

Got out the grinder....put on a new wheel and 20 minutes later...clank!

Sweet got the back driver side pan out in a few minutes and only went through 3 cheap cut off wheels....

Bummer I'm out o wheels already.

So tomorrow I'm getting some new 4" wheels for the bigger grinder and going for round two.

I forgot how much fun this really is.:toothy10:

Attachments

• 100_3684.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 100_3685.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,004
attachment.php

Who has a floor like that? you keep the car in the house?:toothy10: Great looking car, can't wait to see it done:cheers:

I don't have a lot of garage space so yes....once in a while there is a car in our house.....right now its the fat blue fish's turn. :toothy10:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-za1nRniyA"]YouTube - Barracuda LED show to rock xmas music[/ame]

An oldie but a goody.

Merry Christmas All.

Mop

Christmas break is over.....well at least mostly. Tree is still up but ornaments are down.....outside lights are on...24hrs a day still.

Spring will be here soon enough. So in th mean time I'm back on the vert.

Got the rear pans installed....had to make a few patch pieces as the pans did not go up far enough but no problems.

Started on the fronts and have the driver side out and cleaned up.........wayyyyyy more difficult. Many spot welds hidden under years of corroded steel are making it much more time consuming.

Ran into the rust issues that I mentioned under the pans and it looks OK...rusty but OK. The last owner SafeTcapped the torsion support brace and the front frame rails so I am going to paint inside the exposed inner areas of the frame rails and body braces with eastwood rust encapsulator and weld the pans over the top. The SafeTcap work looks like it was put on right so that will stay as is....I may even have to do the rears but thats another day.

Pics of the last few weeks work...slowly but surely.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_3745.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 952
  • 100_3746.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 947
  • 100_3748.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 957
Following this one for sure! If it turns out anywhere near as nice as your other Cuda, it'll be a head turner and jaw dropper. Hope you have room on your mantle for more Best of Show trophies.

Been waiting for some rust encapsulator so I could paint the inside of the t-boxes and torsion bar support.

Got it and started back on the floors last night. Got the passenger side ready to weld in.

Tonight and Friday night is gonna be serious work night here.

Mop

So last night went well...Confusedcuda stopped by with some 16 ouncer's and we plugged away on the pans. Some finish welding on top and voila...solid floors again.

I need to grind off the bottom now and weld from the underside and I'm done with the floor.

Seal seal and paint will come later.

Now I have to move on to the hard part.....inner wells.

Any suggestions before I tear the front clip off?

Mop

Attachments

• 100_3759.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 849
  • 100_3758.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 828
  • 100_3761.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 856
  • 100_3760.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 846
Looking good so far. When you ger the inner wells off make sure to sandblast or otherwise clean up the frame rails real well. Also add some new steet between the upper a frame mounts. I would bet you are going to find that steel pretty thin. Mine were thin enough that I replaced the rails instead of patching them.

That is a beautiful color and car! Why weld from the underside? Just ensure good penetration from the top side and it's all good!

very cool ride I tried to trade mine for my buddies 67 -340-4-speed

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 838
  • 018.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 804
Front frame rails have been capped already so they are beefed up 2x over stock. Yea...I need to sandblast the mechanics once I get the fender wells out....looks real scaly and I'm sure there is more issues below the nasty surface.

I overlapped the new/old floor pans so there is about 1/2" of metal....I could just leave it and seam seal the bottom but since I have a welder and since the car has thin spots I want to close up the gap below so no moisture can get between my new pan and the old floor. I feel that's the right way to do it.

Ive seen it done without welding the bottom so I'm sure it can be done either way. I really want to stiffen up the chassis on this old girl so after the pans are completed I need to install some frame rail connectors.

You can see in the first pic....at the left side you can see the gap I am talking about. It's not all the way around the pan, just in areas. I also have issues, looking at pic #2 you can see on the left rear pan there is sub floor metal missing vs the right rear. I need to clean up these areas and weld in some patches to tie into the new pan.

I don't know....I do not have a lot of experience doing this so I just want to err on the side of caution.

You tell me...can I or should I just caulk up the gaps and undercoat it....be done with it as it is?

Mop

Attachments

• 100_3763.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 904
  • 100_3766.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 890
There you go....I'm not a great welder and like I mentioned the metal is thin...like welding 18 to 22 in some spots.....my hand is slow and the hole quickly appears...but I am getting better.:grin:

I will stay with plan A and lay on my back for an hour on the cold cold concrete and let the sparks warm my front side....:evil4:

Then seam seal the crap out of it and undercoat.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_3332.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 877
What a beautiful Cuda, I have mist this build, Keep up the good work, Love the picture of the above :iconbigg:

OK....got the rears done..not as bad as I thought.

Will keep going later today and be done tonight.

Sub floor was shot on passenger side as well so I tore it out and will fix it later.

Mop

Having the rails capped is great. I am not sure what all it covers but if it doesn't cover the top side just pay particulair attention to the steel where the ears are for the a frame. I actually got my 68 vert for free back in 83 after the a frame mounts broke off after rusting through. A that time I sectioned in a piece from a donor car and got it back on the road. Years of salt, mud and other crap sitiing in a space designed to collect it isn't kind to the steel.

Your talking about the backing plate that supports the top mount...upper ball joint and shock support tower area...your right.

Mine looks real scaly like i mentioned.

I'm gonna tear it all apart and blast it so I can see what is shot and what is not. The frame rails look to be capped on all sides...I can tell someone removed the inner f-wells at some point cause the OM spot welds are now sloppy mig welds and I can see weld beads on all 4 sides of the rail.....like I said it's 2x beefy now.....need to do the back.

Crappy for 1/4 mile cars great for sled cars....it will sit lower than ever with all the extra steel...:grin:

I will tear it apart and we will all see what is rot and what is not. Then we can all watch me figure it out with your help. :study:

That's what this great site is about isn't it?

Mop

Attachments

• 100_3310.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 849
-
Back