Pam's Jamaican Blue Baby

-
These guys are doing an amazing job considering the budget for the paint and bodywork. I will be back again as they have a great metal man and they are determined to finish what they start. It's only been in there for 35 days and they will be done completely next week.

I wasn't expecting that so I am a little behind the ball. I have lots to do before I get it home and not much time it.

Paint pics to come next week.

Back to the shop to clean and prepare for me.

Mop

I cant wait to see it....... 35 days? I'm still behind the 8 ball at 6 years! Lord!!

Yea I hear that.....my Fat Blu Fish was in body shop for 2 years and took over 5 to complete.

I wont lie. I have been working on Pams for a couple of years...doing everything but the exterior. I hope to beat my last build by at least 2 years so keep posted.

Things are going to heat up real soon.

Mop

So it's back in my garage in several pieces.....none are scratched!

Already put the steering wheel back together so I could see what it looks like.

I'm going to have a lot to do this winter that's for sure.

Enjoy.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4879.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 519
  • 100_4882.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 516
  • 100_4885.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 520
  • 100_4883.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 529
Sweet!!!!!!

My "Jamaica Blue Beast" is nearing paint and certainly hope it looks this good when she comes home!

I cant complain for the price....decent work and decent paint job for sure. We added some mini silver flakes in the base to give it a bit more pop. Inside I had them use a satin clear on all the paint and no sprinkles. Nice match and subtle contrast.

:cheers:

I cant complain for the price....decent work and decent paint job for sure. We added some mini silver flakes in the base to give it a bit more pop. Inside I had them use a satin clear on all the paint and no sprinkles. Nice match and subtle contrast.

:cheers:

This baby has always looked closer to B5 than B7 to me. Hope mine is on the lighter side. Going to see my fastback at the resto shop this friday so I think I will show him some pics of this vert.

It's pretty dark in the shade....it was a b5 car on the inside and I can tell a big difference between what was and what is.

Couple of pics of the inside back panels.

Top - Now B7
Middle - Originally B5
Bottom - Another shot of the B7 paint in the sun. You can see the xtra shine from the microflake....she likes it!

Attachments

• 100_4878.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 504
  • 100_4824-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 521
  • 100_4884.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 516
One thing for sure it looks nice and I am sure she likes it. As well you are doing a fine job restoring the rest!!! Thanks for sharing!

The interior panels were B5 from the factory right?

You changed them to B7?

B7 from the factory had lot of flake in it already. Least thats what it looked like behind the windshield and drip rail trim on mine when I took it down. Thats all you could see of the original paint as the car had been recolored twice.

Oh yes ! that turned out very nice :cheers:

Yes was B5 inside and B7 out.

I thought it clashed so I opted to change it.

Your right about the flake in the factory paint...we just added more of it to the outside and kept the inside stock flake.

More to come..

Mop-You are a inspiration if you really were not experienced at all the stuff you tackled on this car.The care u have showed us in all your work just explains the love u have for this car,I wish I had the gut's to tackle some of the stuff you have done,So on your fish was that car done by others or did you do most of the work on your car yourself--Thanks for all the details on this build,I'd be afraid to start assembling because I know that first scratch will be hurtful !!!!! Steve

My fish was done the same way. I tore it down and tackled anything I could whatever I felt was beyond my skills I paid to have done. While I paid for the work I also got an education as I worked along side the body shop guys and we took our time to get it right. I did the interior, all the assembly, wiring, interior trim paint, etc, etc, etc....lots and lots of my time is in the fat blue one.

On this car I used what I learned on fatty plus what I already know to get it farther along and thus less expense for me. Only thing I have farmed out on Pam's so far was final body work and paint, some chrome work and the engine rebuilding. I may have someone put the top on the frame when I get there.....as you mention I would also hate to scratch it at that point.

So the deal is you just have to get your feet wet....don't be afraid to fudge it up as you can always do it over.....and over.....and over. After the third time I would recommend you call in the pro's. :D

I'm an electrician by trade but a mechanic at heart.

Thanks for the kind words.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_0034.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 500
MOP, As someone who is truly inspired, I have to say thank you for sharing this build. It gives me confidence to tear into my 63 Dart, after I finish up my race Dakota. I too have learned from just tearing into it. You are SO right when you say patience is learned on these sorts of things. Thanks again for a great build.

No problem...nice to keep a log I can look back on.

More details.

Broke down the springs for blasting and paint..

Assembled the front suspension as far as I could.

Lots of little detail work...kinda spazed out and all over the place so I have to reign myself in.

Focus is on some unfinished work under the car......stay tuned.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4900.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 458
  • 100_4904[1].jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 463
Love the project and the car! Nice colors and very nice work. Keep up the good work. You are a luckyman to have a Mopar loving wife! My wife loves my cars, but not because they are Mopars, but since they are mine.

That's a good woman....

So more pics of more tear down and detailing...

I took the diff out and swapped with confused cuda. He got the sure grip 3.55 and I got the peg leg 3.55. Fair swap as we went in on the rear set up and I got the housing and 11" brakes plus the peg leg.

This car wont need a l-slip.

Rebuilding the springs with new pads, shims and clamps.
Painting the rear end and installing new 11" finned drums.

More to come and closer to getting it back on the ground.

Oh the last pics is my failed attempt to reuse the contoured frame connectors. I cut them down and welded a top plate on but they warped....even though i was careful and stitch welded back and forth. I guess I should have clamped them down some how.

Live and ruin I guess...:wack:

Attachments

• 100_4914.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 461
  • 100_4918.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 458
  • 100_4912.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 449
Frame rails coming today....I can finally get on with this.

Spent the weekend sandblasting and painting all the hangers, shock plates,shackles...etc. Amazing how 44 year old parts can look like new again. Even the rubber bump stop that had undercoating all over it came out like new.

I get the leaf springs back this week so I can paint them and get on with assembly.

Few pics of the details.

Enjoy

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4936.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 425
  • 100_4935.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 438
  • 100_4933.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 429
Slow weekend.....did a car cruise Saturday night and mowed in the day.

Got the leaf springs sandblasted so I painted them and reassembled them using new pads and sliders.

Feels good to get a complete assembly finished up for a change.....everything else is missing something that's slowing me down and pzzn me off.

Still need a set of seals and then I can finish up the rear end and move on.

Enjoy.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4948.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 398
  • 100_4951.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 386
  • 100_4954.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 398
More details.

Doing one thing a day still....no matter how big or small it all has to get done so I keep on doing something....anything to keep it going.

Undercoated the car after I seam sealed it. Last night.

Sand blasted the rear drums last night
Primed and painted them today. I know there silver....since there Vader drums I wanted them to be seen behind the wheels.

Almost have the rear end completed...waiting on seals and then were done with that assembly.

Whats up for tonight? Don't know yet. Getting closer to getting it on wheels though!

May take a break since I did something today already. :cheers:

Attachments

• 100_4958.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 367
  • 100_4957.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 100_4959.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 390
More details...never ending.

Finished up the rear end...got my seals installed finally.
Axles are drilled and new lug studs installed and they are going in tonight.
Got the lowering kit and sanded/painted the blocks black....need to paint the u bolts as they are bare steel and already rusting.....arg.

Got sidetracked with the trunk so I cleaned it all up and got the first coat of paint in there...of course I ran out of paint so back to waiting for materials.

Keeping up on one thing a day.:D

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4970.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 100_4965.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 371
  • 100_4963.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 362
So I've had a busy couple weeks and got a lot done. Trunk is painted and weatherstrip installed along with some more detail work. Steering column is assembled and looking like new. Painted the calipers and u bolts.

Last night confusedcuda and I managed to get the rear end installed and the k member installed. This morning I installed the upper A arms and the rotors/brakes.

Making real good progress now and I have become more motivated as I get more accomplished.

Hopefully I can get the brake lines installed and the master cylinder sometime this weekend along with whatever else I can manage.

As always enjoy.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4986.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 345
  • 100_4989.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 351
  • 100_4992.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 361
  • 100_4997.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 350
So lots of work and no pics this time.

Brake lines are in.
Emergency brake cable is in.
Shocks are on.
Gas tank is painted and going in Friday.
Torsion bars are painted and going in Monday when I get my clips.
Wheels are supposed to be here Friday so.....its real close to getting on the ground.

Stay tuned were getting closer.

Mop

-
Back