Parking Lamp with Brake Lights

-

rymanrph

Reaction score
To start with, every light on the exterior of my vehicle works. The problem I have is that when I push the brake pedal, my driver side parking lamp lights up (along with the LED light on my dash that is my turn signal indicator with my aftermarket gauges). I've tried to isolate the issue, but I'm stumped. If I completely disconnect the parking lamp, the light on the dash still lights up. If I disconnect my entire gauge cluster, the parking lamp still lights up. If I unplug the turn signal switch from the steering column, no change. I unplugged the harness behind the kick panel going to the rear with no change as well. The only way to keep it from happening is to disconnect the brake light switch, which I obviously need. The turn signals still work, but when I'm stopped and turning left, the turn signals (front and rear stay solid). I tried searching on the forums and most people that have problems have lights that don't work. Mine all do - one just works when it's not supposed to.

Uh.........................................Maybe a short / "cross connect" in the harness under the dash?

The most common fault applies to most any brand of classic vehicle with 1157 park plus brake/turn fixtures. When a turn indicator in the dash comes on with park lamps, fault is lack of chassis ground for that front fixture. Park current seeks ground, back feeds trhough the turn element to the available ground, the dash indicator bulb.
This back feed cannot happen through a rear fixture when a good turn signal switch is interrupting the path through rear brake/turn elements to a ground. So when a rear lamp looses chassis ground at the fixture it simply doesn't work.
The only other members of the circuit that you haven't isolated are wiring and hazard lamp switch.

The most common fault applies to most any brand of classic vehicle with 1157 park plus brake/turn fixtures. When a turn indicator in the dash comes on with park lamps, fault is lack of chassis ground for that front fixture. Park current seeks ground, back feeds trhough the turn element to the available ground, the dash indicator bulb.
This back feed cannot happen through a rear fixture when a good turn signal switch is interrupting the path through rear brake/turn elements to a ground. So when a rear lamp looses chassis ground at the fixture it simply doesn't work.
The only other members of the circuit that you haven't isolated are wiring and hazard lamp switch.

He claims:

If I completely disconnect the parking lamp, the light on the dash still lights up. If I disconnect my entire gauge cluster, the parking lamp still lights up. If I unplug the turn signal switch from the steering column, no change.

I can't think of what he didn't isolate?

We have a winner. It was the hazard switch. It's never worked in the car and as soon as I unplugged it, problem solved. Now I just need to figure out where to get another one.

Thanks RedFish! You have helped me out more than a few times. Thanks for your knowledge and willingness to help!

We have a winner. It was the hazard switch. It's never worked in the car and as soon as I unplugged it, problem solved. Now I just need to figure out where to get another one.

Thanks RedFish! You have helped me out more than a few times. Thanks for your knowledge and willingness to help!
You said you unplugged the TS switch and "no change." Isn't the hazared switch in the TS switch? One thing about these kinds of problems "we learn"

You said you unplugged the TS switch and "no change." Isn't the hazared switch in the TS switch? One thing about these kinds of problems "we learn"

When I say the turn signal switch, I'm referring to the wiring that runs in the steering column up to the lever for the indicators (maybe that's the wrong thing to call it). This thing: 1966-74 A B E-Body Turn Signal Switch 1967 1969 A Body

My hazard switch is on the dash.

I am having the same problem with my 69 dart.no left brake light and when i apply brake the left front turn light comes on along with the left turn light on dash.

The FRONT TURN and BRAKE only come together in the hazard switch. Not saying that is where the problem is but easily checked, unplug it.

The problem most likely is in the turn signal switch, the brake switch power goes into the switch and goes to the normally closed side to both rear turn lights.

When you use the turn switch it breaks that side from the brake and connects it to the turn flasher along with the corresponding front light.

Alan

Last edited:

Hey where did you find a hazard switch?

-
Back