Parking lot herd mentality

-

iScamp

Reaction score
Is it just me? I usually park far away from whatever building I'm shopping at so I don't get door dinged or ding someone else. Many times, I mean many times, someone will park next to me when there are dozens of empty parking spaces nearby. Usually closer to the building, too. I just don't understand.
Went in to get something to eat at a small restaurant, the parking lot was empty. This is what I found when I walked back to my car. I could barely get in my car because I couldn't open the door all the way. Wish I had framed the picture better, there were plenty of empty spaces, including ahead of the truck.

IMG-2093.JPG

I've parked on an angle, crossing lines, but away from everybody like you were, and found cars parked the same way near me. :realcrazy: I think maybe they think you know something is up ...

Just like fishing spots.... 3500 miles of shoreline and the next guy along has to pull up right beside you. Must be a great spot...

Just like the idiot's that park in the handi capped spots, same for the ones who park in the solid yellow line area.

None of my cars are nice enough to care about that but if I did I'd just carry 2-4 small orange traffic cones in my trunk and put them in the spots on each side of my car when I park.

If people are gonna be stupid (which they always are) you gotta be smart and figure out a way to beat their stupidity. I never understood herd mentality, usually when I see people doing nonsense for no reason except "everyone else is doing it", I run the other direction. I'm just barely old enough to have figured out the majority of random people I come across in day-to-day life have zero common (uncommon?) sense. I think that goes for pretty much everyone on this forum lol that's why we're here, we don't like to follow the crowd.

Is it just me? I usually park far away from whatever building I'm shopping at so I don't get door dinged or ding someone else. Many times, I mean many times, someone will park next to me when there are dozens of empty parking spaces nearby. Usually closer to the building, too. I just don't understand.
Went in to get something to eat at a small restaurant, the parking lot was empty. This is what I found when I walked back to my car. I could barely get in my car because I couldn't open the door all the way. Wish I had framed the picture better, there were plenty of empty spaces, including ahead of the truck.

View attachment 1716024423
It's obvious that he doesn't care about others and probably can't drive either, I've run across some truck drivers who have the mentality of a 12 year old

None of my cars are nice enough to care about that but if I did I'd just carry 2-4 small orange traffic cones in my trunk and put them in the spots on each side of my car when I park.

If people are gonna be stupid (which they always are) you gotta be smart and figure out a way to beat their stupidity. I never understood herd mentality, usually when I see people doing nonsense for no reason except "everyone else is doing it", I run the other direction. I'm just barely old enough to have figured out the majority of random people I come across in day-to-day life have zero common (uncommon?) sense. I think that goes for pretty much everyone on this forum lol that's why we're here, we don't like to follow the crowd.
If you ever go to do bodywork on them, you'll care.

I’ll park next to old cars or even newer cars like Hellcats and such just to save them from getting dinged by those that don’t know any better

My dad keyed a new car years ago because they parked so close to his truck that he had to crawl through the passenger side window. I bet that they didn't ever do that again

We deal with this every single day. No matter where we park Nellas van, we end up backing out of the spot to get her ramp out so she can get in. Even in the zebra zones, they’ll park there, right up next to the van.

One of my least favorite pictures, but pretty much sums it up. And yes, I took the picture myself.

01556202-E584-4AA2-AA41-0FC4527E48E7.jpeg

My wife didn't believe me when I told her about the stupidity of people, until one day when we took my Dart to a home renovation store. I parked as far from the doors as I could, dozens of spaces open between the front of the store and where I was. We were in the store for about half an hour, and when we walked out there were no less than 8 other vehicles crowded around the Dart, and still dozens of empty spaces. :realcrazy:

I too have come back to my vehicle and found some asshat parked within 2 inches of my driver's door more than a few times.
Can't fix stupid.

I used to carry a valve stem tool in every car and truck to deal with alpha-hotels like these. It's a good way to get your head blown off these days, so I gave it up.

My dad keyed a new car years ago because they parked so close to his truck that he had to crawl through the passenger side window. I bet that they didn't ever do that again
That is a chicken **** way to be, man.
You actually admitted this on a forum?
The guy that parked the car close is clearly an idiot but intentionally damaging someone else's car when they are not around is a punk move.

I am the same way with my cars, always have been. It blows my effing mind that someone would park right next to my car in a parking lot at 6 am when there are 400 other effing spots to park in closer to the grocery store entrance. I actually got my door dinged that time.

Just like the idiot's that park in the handi capped spots, same for the ones who park in the solid yellow line area.
Not long ago I got into a "conversation" with a PO employee in a marked van emptying the drop box, WHILE PARKED ILLEGALLY in the blue slashed safety zone of a handicap spot. He was not going to move. He was agressive. He was unapologetic. Know what? HE MOVED

Yep … nothing new . Back in 1980 I worked fro Powers Department store in St Paul and I would park my 70 Charger at the very end of the lot far away from the building to avoid door dings . ( yes .. I coveted my Mopar even back then ) and needless to say someone would park right next to it and ding my door . Which of course was rewarded with a good panel kicking !

I used to carry a valve stem tool in every car and truck to deal with alpha-hotels like these. It's a good way to get your head blown off these days, so I gave it up.

We just used pliers and pulled the whole valve stem out of the rim. Had a “parking” problem in front of our old house. The cops wouldn’t do anything about it. We posted no parking signs, notes on the windshield, no luck. So we resorted to either pulling valve stems or using using a tow rope and dragging the car out in the middle of the road. They learned…

Same scenerio, first part of payback was a flat tire by a pebble in the valve cap.
THEN I'd use a length of mechanics wire around the base of a different tires valve stem, - thru the gap in the wheel, to the axle, or other solid object.
After spending time changing the deflated tire, jumps in vehicle, moves it a foot, pulls out the stem, causing another flat - no spare.
They gonna be real late, and real angry.
Touche' ! !

speaking of idiots you do realize that vandalism is a criminal act. do unto others exactly as you would want done to you was clearly not in your upbringing. but what i really want to know is why did your dad have to crawl thru the passenger window. the trucks i'm familiar with have doors on each side?

-
Back