Part hunting for timing chain job

-

72smallairparticler

Reaction score
So I'm trying to get a good recommendation on a stock timing gear replacement and what other things i'd need to do the job. Far as I know this is a 120k mile stock slant 6 car. Based on the sludge in the valvetrain I figure not really well maintained? could be wrong. But anyway. What sort of parts do I need to buy to do the full replacement? Would I need a new damper? Any recommendations would be helpful. Im pretty mechanically inclined but still new to this type of maintenance job. Thanks in advance!

Under no circumstances install a nylon sprocket. They are not gears, by the way. You don't HAVE to use roller, but at least use "all steel." Brands change, as brand names become chinesified

What ever you do don't forget to put the oil slinger back in before you button it up like I did on my '72 Valiant 225. I got my parts on line for this at Rock. I got Cloyes brand. I have those on both of my Slant 6's.

All I use now are the JP (Rollmaster) chain sets. They are very high quality, but be advised, there was a run of them where the crankshaft sprockets were machined a hair too small on the ID and they fit REALLY tight on the crankshaft. I've had to totally destroy one to remove it in the past, so measure first. If it's more than .002" small, you'll want to get it honed a little bigger. It needs to be a press fit, not a frikkin permanent press fit. Of course, if all you want is a stock replacement, then just get that. But as Del mentioned, stay away from the nylon coated camshaft sprocket set. Get a full steel set. Cloyes makes a decent stock replacement set.

Note my machine shop buddy went through 3 sets of various manufacturers and none of the did the dots line up nicely. He degreed the cam and it was perfect where they sort of lined up but he ended up marking new dots because they were about 1/2 tooth off. This was 3 years ago not sure if it still is a problem.

I found a (probably) 30 yo NOS in the package Mopar performance double roller set and that's what's on mine.
I also bought a very old but new, separate, chain and (last one they had) double roller chain, cam and crank sprockets for a /6, from Rock auto a few years ago that's still around here somewhere. And being no longer available I ain't letting them go, I'll have something else with a/6 in it again down the road.

At this point, virtually all timing sets except Roll-Master use a cheap cast iron cam sprocket with three very thin spokes. I've heard reports these can fail at high (4000+) RPM. I'm not even sure you can get the nylon sprocket ones anymore unless you find old stock sitting around. I would opt for the Roll-Master for peace of mind. Sure, it's about 3 times what other brands cost, but it's still reasonably priced. And yes, I ran into the issue with a too-tight crank sproket myself; just had to keep sanding it with fine-grit sandpaper until it fit.

-
Back