Part Identification and Parts Website

-

69Dart4DR

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a power steering leak. The spots with the red dots are where the line is leaking from. I was hoping someone might know what I am looking at and the name of the part. I think it's the power steering fluid return line.

What's a good website people use for mopar oem? I can't seem to find this part, if I have identified it correctly, anywhere.

Thanks

20210811_172015_HDR.jpg

20210811_174253_HDR.jpg

20210811_174308_HDR.jpg

Inked20210811_174321_HDR_LI.jpg

Buy a new power steering hose from autozone, cheap. They have them. I bought one for my 1967 valiant there. 29.00 bucks.

The return line can be a peice of transmission hose you buy by the foot.

That's the pressure hose, I don't know if there is a website that offers oem parts like that, someone may have a nos one, but I'm not sure where to look. I typically use Rock Auto for a lot of the replacement parts I need. If there is a hydraulic hose repair shop in your area they can often make a new one for a reasonable price in my experience.
As a side note, it is most helpful to include the year, make, model, engine size etc when asking for help with something.
Good luck with your repair.

Its a 69 273 v8. Thanks for the pointers. I found the part on the auto zone website so I'll be picking it up tomorrow. In preparation I drained all of the power steering fluid. I drove the dart around the block a few times to see how hard it would be without power steering. As I was driving the oil light came on. Does the oil light monitor power steering as well or is there actually an issue with my oil? I know my oil level is a bit low. Going to top it off tomorrow. But, does the oil light monitor power steering as well?

You drained ALL the PS fluid and started/drove it? WHY??
Would you drain the engine oil and fire it up? :BangHead: What do you think oil is for?
Good luck

You drained ALL the PS fluid and started/drove it? WHY??
Would you drain the engine oil and fire it up? :BangHead: What do you think oil is for?
Good luck

69dart4door, as the other members indicated you are going to be very lucky if you didn't damage the power steering system by driving it with no oil. When you replace the hose, add proper power steering fluid and then slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times to work out air bubbles . then re-check oil level. Do not overfill!!

Its a 69 273 v8. Thanks for the pointers. I found the part on the auto zone website so I'll be picking it up tomorrow. In preparation I drained all of the power steering fluid. I drove the dart around the block a few times to see how hard it would be without power steering. As I was driving the oil light came on. Does the oil light monitor power steering as well or is there actually an issue with my oil? I know my oil level is a bit low. Going to top it off tomorrow. But, does the oil light monitor power steering as well?
Oil light monitors engine oil pressure only. When it comes on, there are any number of potential reasons, could be down 2 quarts of oil or more, the oil could be extremely thin, the sending unit could be bad, the pickup tube in the oil pan could be too close to the pan, or too high, or the pump could be worn out, lastly the bearings could be worn out. Or any combination of the above. Assuming the engine is original and not recently rebuilt, I would expect that the bearings are worn. First step should be to connect a mechanical gauge and get a reading with fresh oil and filter, using a good quality oil, 10w30 minimum grade.

I have nothing to add to the responses other than the fact that you NEVER run a power steering pump without fluid in it.
Speaking of fluid, only use proper power steering fluid in the reservoir.
Never ATF, hydraulic, engine oil, or brake fluid regardless of what anyone tells you.
If you remove the belt that runs the pump, then it's okay to move the car around your driveway, but not drive it on the street.
This is a huge safety violation, and if you are involved in an accident, you would be liable.

That being said, this is a simple job of removing the hose and replacing it, topping up the system, starting up the car, and cycling the steering wheel lock to lock a few times to get the air out.
The pump will ''moan'' a little bit initially until the air is out of the system, then go away unless the level is low.

Good luck!

Hello all,

I have a power steering leak. The spots with the red dots are where the line is leaking from. I was hoping someone might know what I am looking at and the name of the part. I think it's the power steering fluid return line.

What's a good website people use for mopar oem? I can't seem to find this part, if I have identified it correctly, anywhere.

Thanks

View attachment 1715780444

View attachment 1715780445

View attachment 1715780446

View attachment 1715780447
I purchased my pressure hose from Classic Industries. Just make sure that yours is either a flared fitting or an o-ring
one. Mine called for a flare fitting hose end but my OEM factory pump took an o-ring hose. I found out from very good sources that on the assembly line if your pump was not available, they grabbed what was and used that.

As far as engines were concerned, B-body parts could be used on an A-body if it fits. Just to keep the line moving. Speak with their techs to find out which hose type you need, it will save a lot of time.

Degrease everything so you can see exactly where your leak really is coming from.

The second red dot on your picture is on the transmission cooler line

Is that leaking too, or a mistake?

Good news! I didn't drive it. (beyond the lap around the block). As far as why I though it would be ok to drive empty, I have no idea. I tend to learn things the hard way. Classic Industries was a great recommendation! Got the part for $30. Waiting for it to arrive. After I install that I have an oil leak to hunt down.

The second red dot on your picture is on the transmission cooler line

Is that leaking too, or a mistake?
The second red dot is the same power steering line. It was leaking at two spots; the crack in the rubber and at the hex nut.

I purchased my pressure hose from Classic Industries. Just make sure that yours is either a flared fitting or an o-ring
one. Mine called for a flare fitting hose end but my OEM factory pump took an o-ring hose. I found out from very good sources that on the assembly line if your pump was not available, they grabbed what was and used that.

As far as engines were concerned, B-body parts could be used on an A-body if it fits. Just to keep the line moving. Speak with their techs to find out which hose type you need, it will save a lot of time.

Degrease everything so you can see exactly where your leak really is coming from.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a call and make sure I ordered the right fit.

Oil light monitors engine oil pressure only. When it comes on, there are any number of potential reasons, could be down 2 quarts of oil or more, the oil could be extremely thin, the sending unit could be bad, the pickup tube in the oil pan could be too close to the pan, or too high, or the pump could be worn out, lastly the bearings could be worn out. Or any combination of the above. Assuming the engine is original and not recently rebuilt, I would expect that the bearings are worn. First step should be to connect a mechanical gauge and get a reading with fresh oil and filter, using a good quality oil, 10w30 minimum grade.
The light ended up turning off.

The second red dot is the same power steering line. It was leaking at two spots; the crack in the rubber and at the hex nut.
you are right, i was looking at it wrong

glad to hear you got it covered

Ok, so classic industries is going to take a very long time to send the power steering pressure line. It is out of stock. Auto zone does not have one.
This pressure line has a section on either end that is steel (photos above). Is there any reason I cannot replace this line with one that is entirely rubber tube? Can I buy these end fittings, the nut with the hole (what are these called?) and cut rubber tube to length, then crimp those things on?

Autozone sells the same high temperature tubing with the same diameter. I'd just have to cut it to length. These nut things looks like 1/2 inch.

It's not a pinion nut...

Last edited:
It's a high pressure line. A piece of hose with a clamp won't hold the pressure - that's why Chrysler didn't go that route. 4spdragtop is right you should be able to go to a place that makes hydraulic or AC pressure lines and have them copy what you have.

It's a high pressure line. A piece of hose with a clamp won't hold the pressure - that's why Chrysler didn't go that route. 4spdragtop is right you should be able to go to a place that makes hydraulic or AC pressure lines and have them copy what you have.

Yeah, I found a place that will make one. It's twice the price of buying one from classic industries. I wanted to double check and see if there was a do it yourself route. I'll follow the advice and get it made at the shop. Better than a line potentially failing and better than waiting a month.

Richard Ehrenberg sells the pressure hose for 68-72 V-8 A Bodies on eBay for 33.86 with free shipping. The Chrysler part number is 2891078.

-
Back