Parts Haulers (Pickups)

-

LJS30

Reaction score
I've noticed the big trend towards huge, lifted, diesel crew cabs these days when it comes choosing a truck to haul car parts and do the occasional tow job. Everyone seems to want the big mufflers, huge blow off valves, shoot, I think some guys even add engine breaks to their "rigs". Come on, how many of those guys really use those rigs for super heavy usage?
With that said are there any guys on this forum who use simple pickups for hauling their parts and cars? Is their anyone out there that simply grabbed a nice 74 and earlier Dodge pickup, slapped in a beefed up 360, and does their hauling with something simple? Post up some pics if possible.

I am in the process of putting my '85 Ram back together for a parts chaser. Working on the engine soon. Plans are a 325-350 horsepower 318. Transmission will be a 46RH. Then I can put 4.11 in the rear axle and still turn less RPM than the 727 that was in it. The frame and the underside of all of the sheet metal is painted with POR-15 so it will never rust again. Would like to get a 1965-67 Dodge truck someday.

1985RamProject005.jpg

I got an '04 F-150 2wd 4.6l works well enough wouldn't mind a bit more tq but it will have to do for now.

Attachments

• DCP_4149.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 623
  • Cars 102.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 620
Hard to beat a 7.3 diesel to get the job done.

Attachments

• VVVV 002 (Medium).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 565
Funny you mention the engine brake...My 10' Ram Diesel had one and i couldn't understand the need for it...Until i was haulin' down I-40 and nearly missed my exit...Fantastic little doodad

I am in the process of putting my '85 Ram back together for a parts chaser. Working on the engine soon. Plans are a 325-350 horsepower 318. Transmission will be a 46RH. Then I can put 4.11 in the rear axle and still turn less RPM than the 727 that was in it. The frame and the underside of all of the sheet metal is painted with POR-15 so it will never rust again. Would like to get a 1965-67 Dodge truck someday.

1985RamProject005.jpg

Nice, very nice.

Funny you mention the engine brake...My 10' Ram Diesel had one and i couldn't understand the need for it...Until i was haulin' down I-40 and nearly missed my exit...Fantastic little doodad

I bet you use it all the time for heavy hauling though right? Cross country hauling? Perhaps using a GPS and planning could have made that exit a little easier?

My point is so many guys go out and get the biggest rig possible for the wrong reasons. Usually it's to compensate for something else they are lacking. Or at least that's what the chicks say.

Ok well heres mine hes a good truck ive took lots of cars to the crusher with him . He takes the a bodies that dont run where ever they need to go never had any thing bad to say bout it but hes fugly but new under lol its a 95 dodge dakota with a 3.9 v6 i will take a pic tomarrow

They're getting hard to find but you can't go wrong with a M880. This is our first one. Now we're working on a Cummins powered 77 M882 Radio Truck. We also have a nice 93 Cummins truck and a 79 Ramcharger Snowplow truck.

Attachments

• DSCF0294.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 560
I have a simple '03 Dakota quad cab short bed. Hauls the family and engines around The V6 lacks a little torque, but what else is new? LOL!

I here you on the torque, but they still do what we need right lol

Oh yea, it does. The V6 just requires a little more time for getting up to speed.
Yea gotta plan a little bit. ;)

I thought about an engine swap. I have a 99 Durango at my feet doing nothing.
But it seems to be a big hassle swapping engine around.
I'll leave it alone for now.
No sense trying to fix what aint broke.

Though I did see superchargers for the 318/360.
The V6 has the same dang fromt acc. drive set up.

Things that make you go;

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

My daily ride/chaseris a 99 Dakota - 2wd v6 that I'm selling to a friend next month for his 16 yr old son to start driving... Was also my crab boat hauler....

That allows me to get the 89 Shelby Dakota back on the road as my daily ride after a 5 year paint peeling/no brakes rest. Just finished rebuilding the brake system and most of the trim is removed as I'm prepping it for paint... Was going to be my son's 1st ride until we brought the 65 home the other week.....

My real truck that hauls the family and the 30ft condo on wheels around most of the summer is an 05 Ram Cummins quad cab, that also serves as my project vehicle transporter.

And just for grins and giggles, the wife's kid hauler is a station wagon.....2wd 5.9 Durango

Used this for many years:

View attachment 1329.jpg

The back seat is hardly ever locked in the down position 'cause it's used more as a truck. The roof makes it a pain to load things like engines, but I can haul in the rain and not have to worry covering. Right now it's in semi-retirement as the 318 has self changing oil. I pour it in the top, it runs out all the leaking gaskets. A 360 is in the works, along with a new clutch, new steering box, brake upgrades, and suspension mods.

In the works is my '78 F250. Dual quad 300, NV4500, GV overdrive to split the gears with, disk brake upgrades, some suspension mods to bring it up to one ton capabilities.

Well guys, I quess I'm one of those who uses a under rated truck.
Got a 99 Dakota 2wd, 318 with 3.50 gears in it. I have a frame hitch
on it with a trailer brake control.
I have not had any problems using it to haul the Duster around. I don't
go hell bent, flat out with it.
I load the Duster on the trailer so the load won't put to much weight on the
back of the truck. The only ad on to the rear suspension was a set of over
load shocks. A pair that came off the rear of the Duster. Belive it or not!
I can cruise at highway speeds with no problems.
I don't need no Big friggen diesel!:toothy7:

Well I think it's just a matter of opinion and budget too. I have a 2500 ram with Cummins that I use to pull my cars to the track and I just moved from Texas to Ohio last week and after driving a u haul with a big block gas motor and trying to keep gas in it, my truck was a dream to use to pull a 26' enclosed trailer with the rest of our belongings. I bought the truck because it was the last truck I would have to buy. It spends most of it's life working tho. I didn't lift it or anything like that because I do tow so much with it. It has a few mods mainly to up my fuel mileage, since the factory has them cut back so much. I have a 69 GMC truck I use for parts grabbing and towing four wheelers and smaller stuff. Like I said, it's all in what you need and use the truck for, if your set-up works for YOU, then smile and be happy! :happy7:

I've been using my old 94' ford F150 to haul my junker around. Has the 5.7L motor and 3:55 gears. I did put some overload springs on it which helped with the load handling. I've done a few 300 mile round trips loaded with it and it does alright - but I can also see where a heavier truck with more torque would be better. Trouble is I just can't get myself to part with the old girl after 17 years.... :)

SDC11539.jpg

I've got a 2000 Silverado. 4.8L V8/auto. I got it new in 1999 as my company vehicle when I worked for another company. I was sent to the local Chevy dealer to pick out my new ride. The Criteria I was given was a white, 2 wheel drive, (1/2 ton) truck, with a regular cab, and an 8' bed. In other words, a standard work truck. I suppose they meant a V6 crank windows am/fm.
Well since what I mentioned was the only criteria, I bought a "white, 2 wheel drive, (1/2 ton) truck, with a regular cab, and an 8' bed". The only difference was it was an LS Silverado, meaning that it all of the things they told me the truck had to have, plus pw, p.mirrors, cd player, 8 speakers (in that little cab) auto headlights, power locks, chrome wheels, chrome mirrors and bumpers, oh console, and a few other things.

Since it was a "company account" all I needed to do was sign for the truck, and the Chevy dealer billed the company I worked for. The truck was about $21,000 (in 1999 dollars).
I received a little flack for "Overbuying" but when I told them that the truck met the criteria they gave me, and they didn't set a cap on the price, and never said I couldn't have the "extras", the backed off. But from then on, the selection of trucks was left to the fleet manager, lol.

I left the company in 2003. They asked if I was willing to buy the truck when I left, since it was the only decked out truck in the fleet. I told them I would. They wanted to get the resale prices and said they would contact me.
I asked if they minded if I just kept the truck with me until they could come up with a selling price. They had no problem with that.

The truck was 3 1/2 years old, had about 36,000 miles on it, and since the drivers were responsible for being sure the truck received proper maintenance, at the first oil change I switched to Mobil One.

After about a week they called and said that the book value was about $17,000 on the truck, but if I wanted it I could buy it from them for $15K. I counter offered with $6000. I had nothing to lose, right?
They came down to $13K. I still declined, and then nothing for about 6 weeks. Remember, they still own the truck, still have insurance on it, and I'm now using it for my own business. After 6 weeks I received a call from the VP of the company. He told me that the President said, I either needed to buy the truck or return it. I repeated that I'm willing to buy it, but not for the price they are asking.
Nearly another week passed, before I heard anything more. Then I received a call from the President of the company (we were on a first name basis). He asked me if I wanted the truck. I confirmed that I did. He made what he called his "final offer". He said I can have the truck for $10K.
I replied, I'll take it today for $6000, and I'll write the check right now.
There was silence on the phone for a few moments, then I heard him take his hand of the phone and he said, "Write the Fvckin' check, Frank".
I told him I'd be at his office in a half hour, please have all the paperwork ready. I was, he did, and I bought a 36000 mile truck with a book value of $17,000 for $6000.00, and I also got to use it for nearly a month and a half at their cost!

I still have it, the truck has nearly a quarter million miles on it now, and still runs great, though I suspect the fuel pump is going. This will be the truck's second actual repair. The first was an AC compressor replacement.

That truck is probably the best deal I ever made on the purchase of a vehicle. Bar none. Come October it will be 12 years old, and I will have put 100% of the miles on it, and I will have owned it for 8 years, so far. Not too shabby, if you ask me.

I also have two Cummins Ram pick ups, a 2007 extended cab 2500, and a 2010 crew cab long bed dually 3500, and a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew cab that I use as my car. But I still drive that old Chevy just about daily.

They're getting hard to find but you can't go wrong with a M880. This is our first one. Now we're working on a Cummins powered 77 M882 Radio Truck. We also have a nice 93 Cummins truck and a 79 Ramcharger Snowplow truck.

Now that's more like it!!!!!!!! Nice!!!!!

Used this for many years:

View attachment 252982

The back seat is hardly ever locked in the down position 'cause it's used more as a truck. The roof makes it a pain to load things like engines, but I can haul in the rain and not have to worry covering. Right now it's in semi-retirement as the 318 has self changing oil. I pour it in the top, it runs out all the leaking gaskets. A 360 is in the works, along with a new clutch, new steering box, brake upgrades, and suspension mods.

In the works is my '78 F250. Dual quad 300, NV4500, GV overdrive to split the gears with, disk brake upgrades, some suspension mods to bring it up to one ton capabilities.

I like those Ramcharger's!!! Post some pics of the 78 F250 when you get a chance.

I agree, a lot of people think they have to have a big heavy duty truck, when they actually only haul light loads or tow occasionally. I think this has been hyped by sales people for so long they don't consider anything else.
If you are actually towing or hauling heavy loads on a regular basis, especially for long distances at high speeds, a big heavy duty diesel is the truck to have. However only a small percentage of truck owners do this.
My tow/work vehicle isn't an old truck but it's about as simple as they come. My previous shop truck was a Shelby Dakota I bought new and used it for 15 years. I started doing more towing so I bought an '05 Ram 1500 r/c short bed 2wd with a 4.7. It did the job for 5 years until I priced it to someone and they bought it. I didn't think they would buy it and I had fully intended to drive it for at least 10 years.
Since it and the Dakota were 2wd I had always kept an old 4wd just to use in the winter. It was kind of a pain though as it seemed I always had to work on it every year to get it ready for winter use, and it took up another space in my garage. So I decided my next late model would be 4wd and I would sell the old one and free up a space in my garage. I just wanted a r/c short bed 4wd with a Hemi and a towing package. VERY hard to find, as most everything has 4 doors and is totally loaded up. The truck I finally bought is about as basic as they come. It has the Hemi, 4wd, towing package, 3:92 limited slip rear, and an interior package that is a step up from the most basic. I LOVE it! The 390 hp Hemi and low gears let it tow with ease, the short wheelbase and regular cab make it maneuverable, and it still gets better gas mileage than the '05 2wd with the 4.7 did.
I should also note that about the same time I bought the 2010 I bought an '03 Cummins 2500 Sport 4wd Quad Cab with a 6 speed. I had bid on it before I bought the '10 and didn't think I was going to get it. Well after I bought the '10 they let me have the '03 and I was kind of regretting buying the '10. However after living with the Diesel for awhile I sold it. The new truck is much easier for me to live with. It's just not as big and 'awkward'. And the actual fuel mileage in everyday driving was almost identical. Both got about 18mpg during my average drives. The computer/liars board on the diesel claimed 23 mpg but I actually calculated mileage myself figuring gallons used and miles driven, and I figure it every time I fill up no matter which vehicle I drive.
Here's a pic of my '10. I added the hood stripe and fender flares. I also put in a painted grille and filler panel after hitting a deer.
Dallas

Attachments

• IMG_5822 (Small).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 473
'95 Ram 2500 with V10. Plenty of torque to pull our 32' 5th-wheel when we get the rare chance to enjoy it. Otherwise the truck just gets occassional use but there when we need it. Best mileage I've ever gotten with it was 14mpg on a trip to Las Vegas.

I do chuckle at the lifted 4 by's on the freeways with the undercarriages so clean you can see the probability is very low that they are used for off-roading. certainly in say Los Angeles, with no snow and little rain, I can only assume they are compensating for something. But hey, its there cash to spend as they see fit. I have used this '85 d250 for decades. Originally was a 360 2bbl and pulled my hobby cars around just fine. got 12 mpg. Put in a hot 440, and while a ton of fun in the stop light granprix, mileage dropped to 7 mpg. Recently repowered with a 12V cummins and couldn't be happier. Averages 22 empty and 19 towing. I rarely tow large nor heavy things. over the years my only complaint has ever been the lack of room in the standard cab. I'd definitely prefer a club or crew cab.

Attachments

• P8060013.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 473
-
Back