Parts Prices, WTF?!

-
I Cant remember which site i was on but there was a mopar hood tach for sale 750.00 and the seller didn't even know if it worked maybe it was a fair price but to me i thought it was rather amusing .

It's interesting/fun to try and figure out of someone asking a bajillion dollars for an intake is actually a mopar person, or someone who got luck on a storage locker auction and see's MoPar and watched one too many episodes of GYC.

There's a local ad selling nothing special 360 ex "manifuls" for $120... bwahahaha, yeah right. Guy on ebay was selling 340 motor mounts when i needed a set for over 400... huh? A MoPar cast water pump housing and pump... wait for it... $275... WTF is right.... crusty *** Eddy Tarantula $275... The list goes on.

So, it may not be you're asking too much for your parts but people are used to people asking too much for their parts. The initial inclination for most people is to keep their money in their pockets. If you're taking selling parts and getting haggled with personally, well I have to say, that's sort of on you.

I know people who are nuts, not Mopar people in general, but the "I never pay full price, and don't come down when selling" type, it's hypocritical IMO. Then there are those who think they are American pickers, those guys IMO are rude if you watch the show you'll see what I mean. they will tell the seller "I need to make something on it..." in other words they don't want to pay the asking price, and will always lowball. That type of buyer is the worst. After typing all that maybe sellers list high so the buyer can talk them down to what they really want? I dunno...when I buy I always just decide to the point where I say "yeah Ill pay that ,and its here now it may not be here tomorrow..."

I know people who are nuts, not Mopar people in general, but the "I never pay full price, and don't come down when selling" type, it's hypocritical IMO. Then there are those who think they are American pickers, those guys IMO are rude if you watch the show you'll see what I mean. they will tell the seller "I need to make something on it..." in other words they don't want to pay the asking price, and will always lowball. That type of buyer is the worst. After typing all that maybe sellers list high so the buyer can talk them down to what they really want? I dunno...when I buy I always just decide to the point where I say "yeah Ill pay that ,and its here now it may not be here tomorrow..."

Yeah, but at least those tools are up front with their intentions... hard to fault that.

The value of anything is how much someone is willing to pay for it. I try to price my stuff reasonably because I am trying to get rid of it. There are different thought processes here - I just tend to price things where I am happy and so be it.

Sometimes I have stuff on here I have restored for my own use, then decide I'm not going to use. It's really hard to gauge prices sometimes. Some folks want something that's not been sandblasted and cleaned up, some do. Parts selling is a wierd business. Lots of times I remember buying something, deciding not to use it, then try to sell it for what I got into it, then eventually sell it for a loss just to make room.

i just never understand posts like this.. if someone wants the deal then he should be out there hunting for the parts and first there with the money. plenty of good deals out there still. just have to be on the look out or when ya see it grab it before anyone else. if you think a sellers price is too high offer what you think its worth or move on. i see decent deals and i see stupid asking prices.. the seller will find out if his price is too high if the part doesn't sell. let him sit on it until it sells. no need to get upset about it..

its not like this is something new.. i can go back to the 80's and 90's and it was happening.. i remember selling a perfect set of 73 dart fenders at the mopar atlantic nationals dirt cheap just to get them out of the garage.. for the next three years i saw the guy who bought them load and unload them because he had them priced too high. funny thing is when i sold them you could have bolted them right onto a car the same color and been done with it. they were that nice.. three years down the road they were a mess. i used to laugh every time i saw him get to the show, unload them, then reload them because they didn't sell.. so lets not pretend that this is something new...

i also don't see the big deal on wanting to make money on parts.. if i find a good deal on something i want but don't really need i'll grab it if i have the extra cash at the time. for example i have 3 340 air cleaner set ups that i'll probably never use but i wanted them. saw them advertised at good prices and bought them (could easily make money on them if i sold them and a buyer would thing they got a deal too) may hang them for display one day... i may one day list those parts for sale higher then what i paid for them in order to pay for something i may need.. the market will dictate what i can get for them.. i'm sure not out to gouge anyone but i'm also not giving away good valuable parts ether.. again this is nothing new. been this way a long long time.. like stated already in this thread, they aren't making these original parts anymore. unlike a lot of GM parts they aren't making quality repops of some of this stuff either..

You know, if we'd all just start telling people that MoPars suck and they need to go the LS route, we could solve this problem quick. Of course we all know the truth....

When buying, it comes down to if your wallet is fat. If not you should be driving a Chevy , Mopars never really were cheap to build or restore IMO :)

I have never really been a seller, but as the one poster has said, its a run around on their part shouldn't they make a buck for that? time is valuable. I have seen it first hand I know a guy who does Carlisle every year for years, his car show is sitting in the swap meet, hes lucky if he gets to go check out the show field. Not fun if you ask me. I do suppose he makes out all right though but still its like work.

With the swap meets in decline or non existent makes selling difficult. I’ve notices a lot of stuff not moving on many of the sites. For me, I’m down to the last few boxes which currently sit in the corner of my shop.

American pickers, those guys IMO are rude if you watch the show you'll see what I mean. they will tell the seller "I need to make something on it..." in other words they don't want to pay the asking price, and will always lowball. That type of buyer is the worst.

well that **** is all scripted. that **** is set up before hand.

i see more then one person here that says they just pay asking price. really??.. i always offer less then asking. if the seller doesn't move then i have a decision to make. do i want it at that his price or do i pass. i have to power to buy at his price or pass. its simple... most of the time the seller will move some.. i don't cut the sellers price in half or anything. i offer what i'm willing to pay.

And they do make their living by reselling antiques. They can't profit if they buy at retail prices.

well that **** is all scripted. that **** is set up before hand.
Yeah I think so also. I do enjoy the ones where the old guy has so much stuff and doesnt let them have any of it.. or he lets them have a few "Junk" trinkets LOL! then there is the one recently where the guy has a intact 68 Road Runner, asks 8 grand (which is a good price IMO) and they low ball him down to 5 grand WTF? I wouldnt have let that go for 5..they should have started talking at 10 IMO. It was a typical unrestored Road Runner but it was all there.

And they do make their living by reselling antiques. They can't profit if they buy at retail prices.
Agreed and I will give American pickers credit for this, they know buyers that me or you may not be able to reach, yeah I may have something that is worth X amount, but if I don't know the buyers or cant reach the market.. I may not get anything for it when I try to sell because I am not reaching the buyers market for that item.

It's all relative, like coffee beans. Guy picking the beans, well makes beans. Beans migth be good enough for him. The person he sells to, needs to make beans plus shipping, plus overhead, plus something else, and so on and so on.... Mr. bean picker ain't set up to sell to trader joes or starbucks...

It's all relative, like coffee beans. Guy picking the beans, well makes beans. Beans migth be good enough for him. The person he sells to, needs to make beans plus shipping, plus overhead, plus something else, and so on and so on.... Mr. bean picker ain't set up to sell to trader joes or starbucks...
Juan Valdez if you're old enough. LOL

Very true, I am collecting parts for a 340 build...its adding up because this is the "spare engine" that came with my car that I purchased back in 93. There was alot missing and I am piece by piece finding things, when I add up cost I ask myself "should I count shipping? it isn't really what I actually paid for the part" Really I am thinking shipping may ultimately be 20-30% of my build cost. I am trying to track cost of the build and I suppose I should get everything then only count the gaskets, bearings, and machine work etc. for a realistic idea what it costs these days:0 its as if,in my situation the shipping is the cost of diong business. I know the seller isnt making anything on that.`

Very true, I am collecting parts for a 340 build...its adding up because this is the "spare engine" that came with my car that I purchased back in 93. There was alot missing and I am piece by piece finding things, when I add up cost I ask myself "should I count shipping? it isn't really what I actually paid for the part" Really I am thinking shipping may ultimately be 20-30% of my build cost. I am trying to track cost of the build and I suppose I should get everything then only count the gaskets, bearings, and machine work etc. for a realistic idea what it costs these days:0 its as if,in my situation the shipping is the cost of diong business. I know the seller isnt making anything on that.`

Yeah, that's the internet tax we put on things nowadays for the convenience of being able to find things easily. Back in the day, swap meets and personal connections we mostly it. You were either a swap meet maniac, or well connected, or both. Now we "hunt" for parts on our phones.. lol... and we pay for the privilege.

I think a lot of guys don't account for the fact that the younger generation isn't interested in collecting cars, unfortunately most everyone in the hobby is north or 50 years old. So in my opinion if you are holding onto parts believing that you're gonna get top dollar in the future I would re think that plan.

-
Back