Parts Washer?

-

GhostFish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a good parts wash cabinet but I don't want the harbor freight special. Any suggestions? I would actually prefer something without a pump unless someone convinces me otherwise. Would prefer a made in the US brand but any will do. Suggestions?

Check Craigslist, you can get a dandy cabinet on there for way less than buying a cheap Harbor Freight one! I think I paid $40 for mine, pump works and everything! Geof

I looked but I don't think I'm hitting the right keywords. Parts washer brought up squat for the area closest to me! /cry

So, what's wrong with HF (in this case?) I bought one and the pump actually WORKS for 50 bucks

I've had my HF parts washer for over 15 years and it's still kickin right along.

no pump? Whats the point...just soak in a oil drain pan full of diesel. Pump is the way to go.

The reviews were scattered on the HF pump and more often than not, anything I purchase there seems to be trash. But I'll give it a shot seems to how several of you guys like them. Thanks guys!

no pump? Whats the point...just soak in a oil drain pan full of diesel. Pump is the way to go.

I tell you what's a fact. I got this stuff from Summit. Red Roost parts cleaner. Came in a 5 gallon container. It's non toxic and biodegradable. Naturally, I thought it was gonna be a big fail. But to my surprise, it's the dead BEST parts soaking cleaner I have EVER used up to and including uncut carbon tetrachloride straight from the Navy. And you can reach right in with your hand and get large parts out if you need to leave the basket out. Plus, no nasty smell. It works GOOD.

The reviews were scattered on the HF pump and more often than not, anything I purchase there seems to be trash. But I'll give it a shot seems to how several of you guys like them. Thanks guys!

The worst part of the HF pump is, it has a plastic pipe fitting that the metal hose attaches to. Mine broke but I replaced it with some black iron pipe fittings and it's good as new. I do change out the filter often. I just use sponges from the dollar store and cut them to fit.

Using purple cleaner in the HF washers will kill the pump in about a year. You can guess how I know this.

First washer was a 2nd hand stainless sink with a Little Giant pump from Grainger plunked down in a 5 gal paint bucket. It too didn't particularly like the purple cleaner.

mine is from Princess Auto, which is the same as Harbour Freight and it works great!!

Score an old dishmachine, hook it up in your workshop with a good hot water supply. Works like a champ.

Score an old dishmachine, hook it up in your workshop with a good hot water supply. Works like a champ.

if you can recycle the water supply, you can use a water based solvent in it and double your effectiveness. I like that idea myself but youd have to run some sort of strainer on the bottom to keep pump from ingesting grit and grease balls.

Using purple cleaner in the HF washers will kill the pump in about a year. You can guess how I know this.

First washer was a 2nd hand stainless sink with a Little Giant pump from Grainger plunked down in a 5 gal paint bucket. It too didn't particularly like the purple cleaner.

I hear that about mineral spirits too, but all I've run in my HF parts washer for about the 15 years I've had it is mineral spirits.

Search craigslist for "graymills" (or "garymills" for those who spell it wrong) and you might find a good small commercial one cheap.

I hear that about mineral spirits too, but all I've run in my HF parts washer for about the 15 years I've had it is mineral spirits.
The Little Giant was iffy going in on the purple cleaner since it was intended to be a fountain pump. Still, it lasted longer than the HF pump did.

I would expect the HF pumps to handle mineral spirits since that is the common parts cleaner solvent for those not living in the PRK, but we are talking about HF!

The Little Giant was iffy going in on the purple cleaner since it was intended to be a fountain pump. Still, it lasted longer than the HF pump did.

I would expect the HF pumps to handle mineral spirits since that is the common parts cleaner solvent for those not living in the PRK, but we are talking about HF!

I agree, but every single parts washer I have ever seen says not to use mineral spirits. lol

You're right about the purple stuff though. It's some nasty stuff uncut.

I've had my HF parts cleaner for about 15 years w/no problems; paint thinner is about the best thing you can get here in the People's Republic of SoCal. I'd sell my soul for for some good old fashioned stoddard solvent... Watch out for the water based stuff - a friend of mine used it in his HF and it rusted everything all to hell.

-
Back