Passenger side axle not going in all the way

-

ro23dart

Reaction score
I recently had an 8 3/4 clutch type rear end built for my demon. I got it home and put it in and the drivers side axle went in fine but the passenger side wont, it seems like it is hitting something that is stopping it before it comes into contact with the thrust block. Even with the adjuster all the way out it wont clear more then a few threads of the flange bolts. The guy that rebuilt it said i might have turned the drivers side too much when i installed it and gotten it out of alignment. I am using the original bearings not the green bearings (yet). Does this sound plausible and if so is there any way of fixing it without pulling the carrier again?

Look in the axle tube, and see if both sets of splines line up. Hard to remember if it's the Ford 9 inch, or Mopar 8 3/4, that has 2 sets of splines that need to be aligned first.

Check housing for any imperfections that might be causing the bearing race to hang up.

have someone hold the other tire while you turn yours and push in. how far out is it hanging?

yes, that's possible. Weave a board thru the wheel studs, use it like a lever and give it a few whacks with a mallet until you line up the splines, and the axle slides in.

...............I got it home and put it in and the drivers side axle went in fine but the passenger side wont, it seems like it is hitting something that is stopping it before it comes into contact with the thrust block...……….

Here's what this guy ended up doing..……….
8 3/4 Axle Question

Alright, I managed to get it in. Now I just need to adjust endplay. If I turn the adjuster to the right as far as it goes I end up with more endplay. This isn't right is it? As I turn it to the left and expose more threads it takes it up but doesn't that mean the bearing is too loose.

Alright, I managed to get it in. Now I just need to adjust endplay. If I turn the adjuster to the right as far as it goes I end up with more endplay. This isn't right is it? As I turn it to the left and expose more threads it takes it up but doesn't that mean the bearing is too loose.

Something is wrong, "more threads" should be looser. The procedure is in the shop manuals. You can download them, free at MyMopar

Does your unit still have the thrust pin in it? That is the three piece "pin" that tends to fall out on clutch style units. It consists of two halves held together by a very small roll pin (about the size of a pencil lead) when the roll pin breaks, the thrust pin halves will fall out the next time the axle is removed. It is possible that one half fell out and stayed in the axle spline area making it hard for the axle to go back in. Pull both axles and shine a light through the tube. it you see light on the other side you have a problem. here's the thrust spacer: 64-69 Mopar A B Body 8 3/4 Sure Grip Differential Pinion Thrust Spacer Kit | eBay

Ok, so I finally got it in there and adjusted. Turns out with the adjuster backed out all the way it was binding and seemed to have no endplay. I kept turning it in and it finally started taking the endplay out. Then it adjusted properly. I learn so much everytime I do something on this car. They should write some kind of "service manual" :D

Thanks for all the help everyone. I can't imagine doing stuff like this before the internet. You older fellas were true mechanics.

How much end play did you end up with?
That's a good question. I dont have a dial indicator to set it up with so I set it where it wouldn't move and backed it off four notches. I'm going to try to find a dial tomorrow and see where I am at.

dont leave us hanging! What did you do to get it in, we got bets riding on this! Endplay is minimal, like .006, tighten until there is no endplay and tap both axles to seat them, tighten any found endplay out again and once you have 0, then you can loosen 2 notches to set preload. It is friggin small without a dial mic, like just enough to feel a back and forth.

Haha! Yeah, I packed the bearings. Follow with me on this one because its convoluted. I put the driveshaft in and put the car in gear. Then I put on a drum puller to protect the threads and used a giant freaking pipe to rotate the axle slowly while tapping it with a rubber mallet. Once it lined up right it slid right in.

Haha! Yeah, I packed the bearings. Follow with me on this one because its convoluted. I put the driveshaft in and put the car in gear. Then I put on a drum puller to protect the threads and used a giant freaking pipe to rotate the axle slowly while tapping it with a rubber mallet. Once it lined up right it slid right in.
That's the way
That is also the way to check the breakaway/turning torque to see if the SG is any good.

-
Back