Passenger side caliper not totally releasing

-

MrMopar

Reaction score
On my 72 Swinger, the passenger side wheel has some pretty good resistance to rolling when I have the front end off the ground on jack stands. The drivers side wheel rolls with little effort. I can see that the disc pads are worn more on the passenger side also so I know the caliper is not totally releasing. I have installed 2 new calipers and 2 new brake hoses. When I bleed the brakes, the fluid comes out normally and I am unsure why I am getting excessive drag. Could it be in the proportioning valve or what? Any experience with this problem?

Lol, I just went through a similar scenario. this weekend.
Mine were initially frozen open ( 4 piston Kelsey Hays ), I broke them lose and played with them 'till they were floating freely with the bleeder open.

But the passenger side froze up on me on my way to a show (short drive), I had to break the brake line loose(to relieve the pressure) and pinch (vise-grips) the flexhose in order to drive it home.

The first thing I'll be changing is the flex lines, as I believe it might be colapsed on the inside, therefore somewhat locking the fluid from flowing back in the line (as there is no pressure on the fluid return).

I'll be a few days before I get to it, but it's an inexpensive start.

All the best!

A floating single piston caliper needs to float. It may be sticking in its guides.
Then the backing plates on the shoes are stamped from steel plate rather than machine cut. I sometimes find a pad that fits to tight in the guides and needs a bur filed away somewhere. Good luck finding the problem.

I had a similar issue with a bad master cylinder. It would lock up over time and then release slowly. The return hole in the reservoir had crud in it and this caused the pressure to build up in the system as I pumped the brakes. If I let the car sit for an hour or so the system would stabilize.

The rims got so hot that I could not touch them and after a while the tire blew.

I also had trouble with a synthetic "non-metalic" piston, that was acting more like what you are seeing.

A floating single piston caliper needs to float. It may be sticking in its guides.
Then the backing plates on the shoes are stamped from steel plate rather than machine cut. I sometimes find a pad that fits to tight in the guides and needs a bur filed away somewhere. Good luck finding the problem.

I think he has the rigid mount Kelsey Hayes set up?

Thanks for the input. I have the single piston caliper and I have replaced both of the flexible lines to the calipers. I also have replaced the caliper on the pass. side twice now with remans. from NAPA. I will try the pad sticking thing and maybe I got a bad flexible line again who knows. The master cylinder could be it too. I will try all of the ideas you have mentioned. The piston slides real nice in the caliper so I doubt it is that. This is a bit frustrating to say the least!

Just another thought for you to try here...

Loosen up the 2 bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the spindle a few turns and spin the wheels again. See if it has less drag.

Good idea, I am going to try the caliper bracket first!!!! I will let you know.

Had this problem once and it was a cloged flex line. But if they are new maybe you have some crud somewhere between the MC and the flex line.

I am going to get some help and bleed the heck out of the pass side and see if any crud comes out. The pads were very loose and were actually making noise when I hit a bump in the road so that can be ruled out.

-
Back