Paying With PayPal And Asking For No Fee's

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
I buy and sell parts all the time. If I am buying from you and using PayPal to send the money I usually send it as sending money to friends or family so there are no fee's to either you or me. I have seen some members who ask for the 3% to be added to the price of the item to cover the PayPal fee's but if you pay with funds already in your PayPal account to friends or family then no one has to pay the 3% fee. I think PayPal makes enough money as it is without hitting us up for another 3% to use our own money. The only reason I am bringing this up is because one of our members said he felt uncomfortable paying this way and the deal was lost. I have never had this happen before usually when I ask to please send the payment without fee's the other member know's exactly what I mean and the transaction is completed wether they add the 3% or pay the way I do. Which way do you guy's prefer if you are selling or buying, I don't want to loose any more sales because I ask for no fee's.
Bob

Well, IMO I'd rather pay the "fees" and get the "protection" they offer than scam Paypal out of 3% and risk losing all my money, JMHO.

I have no problem sending the money as a "gift" if it is someone I know and/or trust, but I never would to a total stranger. Seen too many people get screwed that way.

I buy and sell parts all the time. If I am buying from you and using PayPal to send the money I usually send it as sending money to friends or family so there are no fee's to either you or me. I have seen some members who ask for the 3% to be added to the price of the item to cover the PayPal fee's but if you pay with funds already in your PayPal account to friends or family then no one has to pay the 3% fee. I think PayPal makes enough money as it is without hitting us up for another 3% to use our own money. The only reason I am bringing this up is because one of our members said he felt uncomfortable paying this way and the deal was lost. I have never had this happen before usually when I ask to please send the payment without fee's the other member know's exactly what I mean and the transaction is completed wether they add the 3% or pay the way I do. Which way do you guy's prefer if you are selling or buying, I don't want to loose any more sales because I ask for no fee's.
Bob

The trouble is, if the parts received are not as advertised you can't have Paypal back you when you use friends and family. I personally never have had a problem with anything bought or sold. Just my take on it.

If it's not big bucks -- Pay as a gift, otherwise pay as ToMang07 says.

When you buy something from a member here most of the time you know him or her, if you don't then you have a tendency to look at there feedback profile. Even if you don't know them someone on here does and can speak for them. If they only have one or two positive feedback's then it's a crap shoot, "Do I or Don't I" I can under stand being hesitant in that case but when a member has say more than ten positive feedback's and all his or her feedback are 100% positive then I don't have a problem sending them fee free money.
Bob

Make it up on the part your pricing. Everyone wants protection and I don't blame them. I have heard of some real bad transactions on some of these sites. Paypal always saves the buyer. Sometime the seller gets screwed if the buyer uses the Item not as described . and sends a different part back. Been There. So know who you are dealing with, and get their Phone # before paying.

Blind Squirrel it will cost you $5.00 for the sandwich and $3.00 for shipping, please send it with no fee's, once paid for I wll send you the tracking number.
Bob

I think it's wrong to ask for friends & family transactions when selling/buying goods. I just pay the fees or add it to the sellers price to cover it.
I know they are rich and all but I feel it's important to do the right thing. JMHO, never stops me from buying or selling.

As a buyer I will pay the fees. As a seller I suggest the buyer to pay the fees for protection. To each his own. The minimal amount of items that I spend purchasing is not worth me worrying about fees.

I wrote what I did because Paypal went to battle for me a few years ago as a seller for a pretty serious chunk of change (think Commercial Machinery) and have never forgotten that....

JW

When I sell parts here, I insist that they pay by using the "goods and services" method!! When I sell parts on other sites, I insist that buyers pay by using the "goods and services" method!! I will never ask for anyone to send it by friends and family, but people do send it that way occasionally, but I am an honest seller, so I must have a pretty good reputation!! When buying, I always send payment by "goods and services" no matter what, and I will always overpay by the 3%, that's just the way I roll!!!

So basically what you are saying is that when I run a for sale ad like the NOS emblems that I have for sale now I should include in my ad that the buyer will need to pay the 3% PayPal fee's along with shipping and the price of the item, I really don't want to jack up the price on the emblems to cover the fee's and then not mention it, hell the NOS emblems are expensive to begin with, but for piece of mind and protection you think the buyer would rather pay a few dollars more. I would like to hear from a few more buyers on what they would rather do, pay the extra money or trust a member with multiple feedbacks and also 100% positive feedback.
Bob

So basically what you are saying is that when I run a for sale ad like the NOS emblems that I have for sale now I should include in my ad that the buyer will need to pay the 3% PayPal fee's along with shipping and the price of the item, I really don't want to jack up the price on the emblems to cover the fee's and then not mention it, hell the NOS emblems are expensive to begin with, but for piece of mind and protection you think the buyer would rather pay a few dollars more. I would like to hear from a few more buyers on what they would rather do, pay the extra money or trust a member with multiple feedbacks and also 100% positive feedback.
Bob

If they can afford NOS Emblems, they can afford the fee.... That is my opinion anyway....

JW

Wow Geof I have never done that, whenever I buy something I always pay using friends and family so they don't get hit with the fee. I did not realize that people would rather pay more money even though we are only talking about 3,4,or 5 dollars here. I guess I have been lucky that I have never had a problem, and a lot of the guys that I deal with know what kind of products I sell and have never had a problem with my items.
Bob

You know I just sold some stainless vinyl top moldings today and the buyer just automatically added the 3% in his PayPal payment so that my cut was exactly what I had asked for, that is kind of why I started this thread to see which way you guys thought was better.
Bob

3% of $1000 is 30 bucks... would you send someone you don't know a $1000 for something you have never actually seen w/o some kind of guarantee? With that said - I trust my gut.. always.

Just price the parts 3% higher and leave the rest to the buyer. You could also write in your ad 3% off for cash and local pickup which is friends and family.

as seller i expect the buyer to pay the pay pal fee. as a buyer i volunteer to pay the fee..

i never send money to anyone except close friends or family without the fee. gotta be nuts not to gladly pay the fee when buying.. sending friends and family you get no protection,,.,

gotta be nuts to send money to a total stranger without any protection..

Bob
If you're going advertise, sell, then package and ship an item, the buyer wont need to travel to swap meets hunting the item or travel to your yard sale. Therefore he shouldn't have issue with the little paypal fee.

I can't see how 3% could be a problem unless someone was selling on a mass scale and making pennies on the dollar. IMO suck it up, not a big deal. Add 3% to the price and if they don't pay via Paypal then a few more pennies for you.
:rolleyes:

When buying I do friends n fambly. I get charged the 3% (yes there is a fee).
When selling I let the buyer decide....add a buck or 2 to cover fees...or dont up to you. Im honest wont/dont screw anyone. Imagine the amount of fuel and time involved finding that $50 part 1/2 a continent away.
I have never paid as a gift, is there a fee for paying this way?
Bob

-
Back