PayPal

Who pays the PayPal fee?

• Total voters
-
So a guy that wants to pay cash has to eat an inflated price because someone else wants to use paypal.

Remember the cash/credit prices at gas stations?

i'm asking a set price. if he wants to come to my house and pay cash that is different. i'm talking about internet transactions where local pick up isn't possible. if you can't come here and hand me cash then you will be paying the Paypal fee. i also prefer not to have to wait for a money order either.over the years i've run into too many people say yea they are sending the MO only to never do it. so i take my part off the market for a person who never pays when i could have sold it three times over.

as far as cash/credit goes for gas. i only get gas where both prices are the same. there are are plenty of gas stations that have the same price for cash or credit in the area. come to think of it i haven't had any trouble finding stations with cash/credit prices the same in my travels either..

It was a rhetorical question... :)

I'm with you on this ABJ.

Buyer should pay shipping and fees.When guys come to my place to buy parts I give them a better price because I don't have the time and money involved to package and ship which means I don't box and I don't deliver to shippers. And when someone drives to my place they normally find other parts they want or need.I priced a part on here for 150 plus shipping,after spending time with many pics and PM's the guy said he would be interested if fees were included in the 150,three other guys PM ed they would pay fees.PMed the guy and told him it had sold-he was upset.

I just add the 3 percent into what I actually want. Then there is no need to ask for 3 percent more after the deal is done. I try to do shipping at cost. I know when selling on ebay now I add 13 percent to something I sell. Ebay takes 10 percent then 3 for paypal before even shipping anything.

I know paying as a friend/family there is a fee for the buyer if not using balance or bank account. It was like 8.70 fee to use my credit card after using 230 balance and needing another 30 to send to the seller. I wound up putting more money in the back and it was a free transaction. I already had the item though. I always pay as good or services so you are protected.

If a seller only accepts paypal as a form of payment for someone that isn't local, then the seller, should pay the fee, and just accept it as the cost of doing business. If they feel it's not right for them to pay, then hide the fee by raising the price of what is being sold. If it's local pick up, then remove the fee if you want. If you want the buyer to cover the fee, then state that up front in your ad, then the buyer knows what to expect before making contact with the seller.

Sometimes there may be alterior motives if the seller tries to recommend "send as a gift"... :twisted:

I had this happen not long ago.. Seller requested "send money via PayPal 'friends and family'" But I went ahead and sent the money as a "purchase", and added the fees to the total. Good thing I did, the seller certainly did have "ulterior motives" but since I paid the fee, I had buyers protection and PayPal stepped up and refunded my purchase price. That was "cheap insurance" if you ask me.

Just tack the 3% on, like a tax. It's the price of doing business with some security. Isn't it worth it? I mean, there have been ads for parts about people being taken advantage of, at least with PayPal you will have a means of getting money back if the deal goes real far south. It's a new day and age, buying online isn't like going to the swap meet or want ads in newspapers, or word of mouth. It's an electronic age, sometimes it sucks, sometimes it don't.

right on!

I don't think it's a big deal for either party to pay the fee, generally speaking. If the seller doesn't want to pay the fee then thats fine. I don't have a problem with chipping in a few extra bucks to make sure I've got the buyer protection from PayPal. If the seller wants to pick up the fee then kudos to them. 3% isn't bad at all unless you bought/ sold something pretty expensive.

If a seller only accepts paypal as a form of payment for someone that isn't local, then the seller, should pay the fee, and just accept it as the cost of doing business. If they feel it's not right for them to pay, then hide the fee by raising the price of what is being sold. If it's local pick up, then remove the fee if you want. If you want the buyer to cover the fee, then state that up front in your ad, then the buyer knows what to expect before making contact with the seller.

right. the buyer is paying the 3%.

WOW! I was wondering how the poll would go. Almost a 50-50 split.

It's actually against Paypal's rules to ask the buyer to pay the fee. It's supposed to be free for the buyer.

Last time I checked Paypal was owned by Ebay.

The buyer pays the fees either way because that's where the money comes from, duh. .

I don't think you're seeing things quite right. The SELLER pays the fee every time thru PayPal. True, the money comes from the buyer, but the fee is taken away from the seller by PayPal.

If you sell an item for $100, your buyer pays $100 and gets the item. You, as the seller receive only $97 because you pay the fee.

Now, if you want the buyer to pay the fee, you would have to sell your $100 item for $103 in which case, the buyer would effectively be paying the fee. Maybe that is what you were eluding to..

i don't know. you can word it anyway you want. but in the end its pretty simple. the buyer will be paying the 3%. either knowingly or the seller will just raise the price he agrees to take.

the way I see paypal, is, basically , it is protecting the buyer. if a problem, the buyer contacts paypal and the matter is resolved.

paypal is an advantage to the seller , i.e., instant guaranteed payment, Ha,,, unless the buyer contacts paypal and makes a case of wrong doing, then paypal can "pull" these funds from the sellers bank account! LOL

I don't mind sending $ as a friend deal, if I have confidence in the seller.

if I sell an item, I just figure I need to be able to absorb the 3% fee, if not I need to ask a few $ more. not gonna ask someone to add 3% to price. TACKY... just me....

I don't think you're seeing things quite right. The SELLER pays the fee every time thru PayPal. True, the money comes from the buyer, but the fee is taken away from the seller by PayPal.

If you sell an item for $100, your buyer pays $100 and gets the item. You, as the seller receive only $97 because you pay the fee.

Now, if you want the buyer to pay the fee, you would have to sell your $100 item for $103 in which case, the buyer would effectively be paying the fee. Maybe that is what you were eluding to..

No I see it just fine. The seller loses nothing. Paypal pays the seller as a proxy. The seller does not get his money until Paypal issues it. You cannot "lose" something you never had. The price the seller ends up with is the selling price. Fees removed. Paypal did not reach around the internet and take fees out of the seller's pocket. The fees come from the ONLY MONEY INVOLVED IN THE TRANSACTON, which comes from the BUYER. Hello?

i don't know. you can word it anyway you want. but in the end its pretty simple. the buyer will be paying the 3%. either knowingly or the seller will just raise the price he agrees to take.

Exactly. We have a winner. The BUYER pays the fees. That's the only source of funds. From the buyer.

On ebay, if an item goes for 100 bucks, Pay pal will take 3 % leaving the seller with 97 dollars on an item that sold for 100. The buyer was willing to bid a 100 and won. So he pays exactly 100. The sellers item sold for 100, but he gets 97 (disregarding that ebay takes another 9 % for the use of the auction for the sake of this discussion). I sell on ebay all the time, Usually by auction, highest bidder gets it.
So yes, the money the Pay pal gets is from the source, the buyer. However, it's taken from the sellers account

When you use PayPal, the seller pays the fee. Not much we can do about that. What we can do is either 1) price the item with that in mind, 2) tell people up front that an additional 3% will be added for PayPal, or 3) tell them to send a USPS money order. I am fine with all options. However, we ALL as fellow FABO buddies have to acknowledge that fact and be willing to accept it. So if a seller is asking $50 for a part and the buyer offers $30, we all need to be flexible. The main thing you need to do is know what the shipping will cost. That is where you can hurt yourself. If you sell an item for $20 and guess that $8 will ship it, a $15 shipping fee will be a really unpleasant expense. I try to break even on shipping. I'd suggest memorizing the costs and sizes of USPS Flat Rate boxes for US and Canadian shipping and putting that in your add.

I think in the end the buyer pays. Always been that way. Think about it. Why would the seller pay. He needs the buyers money to do that. If there is no sale, there is no fee.

I used to hate the 3% fee but now feel better with PayPal having my back, and the buyers back. I last sold something for $75 (had the item for 6 years paid that much) and quoted $25 for shipping that ended up being a few bucks more. Buyer asked for extra insurance and gave me money to cover plus extra, still lost a couple bucks but was happy to get rid of a useless (to me) part and get some money in my pocket. Buyer was happy to get a useful part cheaper than new. Negotiate the fees if you are selling an expensive item. I personally think it's tacky to make the buyers know they are paying the fees by telling them. Work it into the price if you can't afford a few dollars.

When a part is sold for $100 and money order is sent, does the buyer take $100 to the PO, deduct the MO cost from the $100 and send the remainder?

HMMMMM

Think about that.

Maybe it's just me but when I buy parts from here I generally round up what I pay to a multiple of 5. So if a part + Shipping comes out to $57.32 Id just send $60. Takes care of the fee and the seller gets a little extra cash. Plus Its nicer to buy parts from members on here than it is to buy overpriced parts on FeeBay. 3% fee for PayPal vs 9% for eBay and the prices are generally lower here to begin with, then there's the added benefit of the seller actually being knowledgable about what there selling (and what it's worth) and it's easy to communicate between buyer and seller. I agree with the buyer always pays the fee, even if it's just already incorporated into the price. Plus, if I'm already spending $150 on a part I don't think I'd beat myself up over $5. Still cheaper than sales tax by a lot...

When a part is sold for $100 and money order is sent, does the buyer take $100 to the PO, deduct the MO cost from the $100 and send the remainder?

HMMMMM

Think about that.

good point!? if I , personally am asked to send postal M O, I have the cost of the M O and a 30 miles trip to town!! LOL

which came first the chicken or the egg!? LOL

have you ever been involved in a real estate transaction that involved some reasonably large $$, just to see the buyer refuse to pay a fee involved that is traditionally the "buyers" fee!? I have. and it wasn't because the buyer couldn't cough up the few bucks either! some people can be "funny" and some of the funniest ones are the wealthiest! I've seen those types admit to being wealthy because they would screw anyone for a buck. not saying that all rich people are that way, just a lot of the ones I've run into over the years! LOL sorry if that offends anyone.

have you ever broke down on the side of the road? and the ONLY type that stopped to help..... was driving the most broke down vehicle, and all the "nice" vehicles, went right on by.? I have..... LOL

one thing to consider. paypal is owned by Ebay. I have both bought and sold on there like most people. but I always have the impression that, with Ebay, the buyer is right until proved wrong, and the seller has few rights, Ebay. paypal whichever.....

I vote it was the chicken came first!????

-
Back