PayPal

Who pays the PayPal fee?

• Total voters
-
Paypal is a bigger convenience for the buyer but the seller is supposed to absorb fees. Got it.

Spot on about what paypal does regarding disputes. Sellers take it in the rear almost all the time. More buyer convenience!

And about building it in, some people complain if they are charged $10 for shipping and the label says $7. Never mind the box/tape/filler materials all cost money. LOL

Paypal is a bigger convenience for the buyer but the seller is supposed to absorb fees. Got it.

Spot on about what paypal does regarding disputes. Sellers take it in the rear almost all the time. More buyer convenience!

And about building it in, some people complain if they are charged $10 for shipping and the label says $7. Never mind the box/tape/filler materials all cost money. LOL

I didn't say that. The seller can easily adjust the price to include fees. If the seller opts NOT to do that, that's on them. I cannot see anyone who wanted to buy something let 3% get in their way. If it does, they might be the kinda person you don't want to sell to anyway.

some buyers will pay the fees, some won't.

If a seller wants $X in their pocket, then the buyer needs to pony up. It's that simple. If the buyer says I won't do it, then no sale. It's not that hard and if the buyer is offended, then run to the PO and get a money order which probably cost more time, money and effort than the paypal fee on anything under about $350.

RRR, none of my comments are directed at any individual post. I will say you are wrong on at least one premise.

I'm out and carry on.

If a seller wants $X in their pocket, then the buyer needs to pony up. It's that simple. If the buyer says I won't do it, then no sale. It's not that hard and if the buyer is offended, then run to the PO and get a money order which probably cost more time, money and effort than the paypal fee on anything under about $350.

RRR, none of my comments are directed at any individual post. I will say you are wrong on at least one premise.

I'm out and carry on.

paypal has nailed me for .035% on the last 3 sales I made, they automatically take it out of the deposit made by the buyer, ain`t really that much, but I will figure it in in prices from now on, especially when I have to make 3 or 4 trips to the post office for shipping quotes and such. I live in a rural area, not real far, but never the less a pain in the but.

if I buy on feebay, I look at the shipping charges,... if WAY out of line and I want the item, I will contact the seller and ask what his charges will be to my zip and ask if he will be willing to adjust his charges if I win. not talking a couple of $$, but when it makes a difference to me. if seller is not willing, then its may choice to bid.

if I sell an item that won't go flat rate box, I will weigh it on bathroom scales, call P O with measurements of box and weight, and figure the costs. I don't want to short myself on shipping charges NOR overcharge anyone. when I figure my price, I realize the costs of paypal and Ebay, plus my fuel costs to the p o...... just me.....

especially when I have to make 3 or 4 trips to the post office for shipping quotes and such.

You can weigh it , take the dimensions, and check the price and pay online and print the label, which saves money on shipping for both you and the buyer. Another option that might help in the future.

Logic eludes some people. Price your part to cover what you want to get. If the price is too high it won't sell.

I won't even inquire about the part unless the price is right. If you say plus 3% for fees, it pisses some people off. It really is not that hard to figure out what it would cost to ship something anywhere in the lower 48 and not that difficult to figure anywhere else out either. Add that in too and come up with a price. Some things are not worth selling long distance because the fees and shipping cost more than they are worth.

And OH! If the deal goes south both buyer and seller loses shipping charges unless one of them is an asshole.

Exactly. We have a winner. The BUYER pays the fees. That's the only source of funds. From the buyer.

Lol, okay then, we agree to disagree!

But I do know for a fact that if I SELL an item for $100 and get paid thru PayPal, I'm only going to receive $97.

Also I do know that if I BUY a $100 item and pay for it thru PayPal, I only have to pay $100, no more.

In either scenario, the SELLER is the one out the whopping $3!

And since money orders are sometimes used...

Let's assume That the same $100 item gets paid for with a money order. In this instance, the BUYER pays the fee. It is tacked on to the cost of buying the money order. So the buyer ends up paying a few extra bucks, but the seller still only get his $100.

So to sum it all up so as to be clear as mud, ITS ONLY 3%!! And it should be looked at as part of the cost (usually pretty small) of making the transaction!

I'm out and carry on.

I am not disagreeing with you. I agree if the buyer wants something they need to pay. Period. I guess we just see it different and that's cool too.

Gotta love the internet,lol.
3 pages?
Some people could argue with a rock.
The market (buyer) always sets the price,whatever the seller is asking.
I generally disregard anyone asking me to pad their price for paypal on principal,but if it's still a good enough deal to me, I might bite. Either way the seller is not getting 3% more than I'm willing to pay....so in the end the seller pays the fee.

in the end the consumer PAYS for everything, no matter what we are talking about!!!

example: price of diesel goes up, therefore, so cost of trucking to get the item to the buyer goes up, so price of item goes up! no one else , but the customer absorbs any costs, UNLESS the price of the item goes above what customers are willing to pay.

paypal fees used to irritate me, but I finally figured the 3% is worth getting immediate pay, no worry. and if I would get screwed on feebay, then maybe I could get recourse.

The seller, they are the ones that chose to use the service, in order to get payment faster. It's like a classified ad, you don't put something in a classified ad, then tack the add fee into the selling price.

I I personally think it's tacky to make the buyers know they are paying the fees by telling them. Work it into the price if you can't afford a few dollars.

This is exactly what I was trying to say, if you work it into the price I feel better thinking that I'm not paying it, and the seller doesn't look like it's all about the money.

I am not disagreeing with you. I agree if the buyer wants something they need to pay. Period. I guess we just see it different and that's cool too.

It could also be said, If the seller wants to sell something and receive immediate payment then the seller needs to pay.

I will say this.... offer 100 buyers the choice between paypal and sending postal M O or whatever, and I will bet 98 of them will go paypal.

now if you tell that guy that part he's paying $20 for has a 60 cent paypal charge calculated into the price, half of them will scream!!??? LOL

to make things worse, sellers will also figure what feebay is charging and try to keep that in mind when setting their price, too!!???? parts, pieces, and Col. Ckicken is only worth what someone is willing to pay!????

buyer, small price to pay for instant gratification, but i never charge it anyway, Im just happy to sell it. waiting for a MO sucks. Especially when 3 other guys are waiting for the promised money order to come so they can move on.

My paypal account got hacked from a server in Venezuela this morning. LOL

I don't have any money in my Paypal acct. till I buy something..

I happily pay 3% to save me the hassle of going into town, paying for a money order,, then paying to send it.. and having to wait and see if the seller sold it to someone with Paypal..

jmo

My paypal account got hacked from a server in Venezuela this morning. LOL

Uh oh. That's not good. I hope you didn't lose anything.

That reminds me, I think that it is safer to set up your PayPal account to fund thru your credit card, NOT your bank account. If you get hacked, your bank acct could get wiped out.

I don't give a **** who makes what money where.
I am willing to pay what something cost's, or I'm not.

All the rest is just time and effort wasted.

-
Back