pb shifter won't go into reverse

-

Valiant63

Early A-body Valiants
Reaction score
On my "new to me" 64 Dart , the push button auto shifter won't go into reverse, seemably only when the engine and trans are up to temp. In other words, when I pull out of my driveway, it will go into reverse, but when I bring it back after 10-15 mins of riding, I can't get it to go in reverse. Also, my engine is reading rather hot, so I will swap out thermostats first. I have a 190 degree on there now. Thanks

Engine is running cooler now, but car still won't go into reverse when warm. I tried some additive I had int he garage, but no go. Only goes in when cold. Any advise? Bad reverse seal behind the clutch pack?

Engine is running cooler now, but car still won't go into reverse when warm. I tried some additive I had int he garage, but no go. Only goes in when cold. Any advise? Bad reverse seal behind the clutch pack?

I would say yeah it's in the trans.

When a trans works perfect cold and starts acting up when hot , thats a sign of a clogged filter which in itself is a sign of wear. To do filter service to the trans will cure it for a time but if the filter is full of debrie, its days are numbered.

Button pushes in, but won't stay engaged there when warm. Trans doesn't get into Reverse, either. All is fine when cold and first started up. Button goes in and revers goes in just like it is supposed to. Run it a mile or two down the road and reverse doesn't work anymore.

Button pushes in, but won't stay engaged there when warm. Trans doesn't get into Reverse, either. All is fine when cold and first started up. Button goes in and revers goes in just like it is supposed to. Run it a mile or two down the road and reverse doesn't work anymore.

I'm not familiar with the pb linkage but if it is adjustable that sounds like it needs a little adjustment. I would first eliminate that the trans is the problem. Have the linkage where it can be easily disconnected after you drive the car to warm it up. Bring it back in jack the rear end up and set it on jack stands (so the car won't roll). Take the shift linkage lose from the trans and by hand shift the trans into reverse from park while the motor is running. It would be good to have someone sitting inside the car with there foot on the brake. If it shifts into reverse by hand then you know it's got to be the shift linkage adjustment.

mullinax, with all do repect a pb 727 does not have linkage but a cable to change gears. it's adjusted be a wheel at the trans.

Like I said I'm not familiar with the pb LOL

The main thing is find out which of the two (cable or trans) is causing the problem.

I am thinking the cable is routed too close to the exhaust, and is getting overheated. I cannot think of any way the problem would be in the trans. The only thing connected to the cable inside the trans is the manual shift valve. If the trans was getting hot and making the valve bind in the valve body bore, I don't think it would work properly when cold, and/or without problems with the other gears. I had a cable in my 65 Valiant, that was very hard to push the buttons, in any gear, do to a partial meltdown of the cable, from the headers.

Is the trans and shifter totaly stock? Is there any chance either the trans or valve body is a 65?
The 64 and 65 transmissions are both cable shifted, but the valve bodies are different. The 64 used the PB's and the valve body has only 5 detent positions. The 65 used a columm shifter or floor shifter, both with cables, and had 6 detents.
Mine is a 65 trans, with a 64 valve body (reverse manual shift), and a 64 PB shifter mounted in a console between the bucket seats, in a 66 Cuda.

PS: Bob just a FYI, 64 Dart would only have a 904 trans, not a 727, from the factory, but you are correct about the cable.

-
Back