PCV setup with Mopar Performance valve covers

-

jimynick

Reaction score
I've got a set of the cast Mopar Performance valve covers and they've come with a single notched opening that would take a 1/4 turn oil fill cap usually. What are others doing to accommodate a PCV hook-up? My local jobber says that they can get a 1/4 turn breather that has a hole in it's top where a pcv hose/valve could go in, but I'm wondering if it's a case of drilling the blank opening in the casting for a grommet and regular pcv valve. Has anyone ever drilled/grommeted and hosed both VC's and then "Y"d them together to run into the port in the intake?

The pcv needs to go to the carb base. A Vented cap on one cover and the pcv on the other. Cross ventilation is the key.

Has anyone ever drilled/grommeted and hosed both VC's and then "Y"d them together to run into the port in the intake?

Typically one side allows fresh air in, and the PCV valve sucks it out, and of course back into the carb, which is on the other side of the pressure zone (piston rings). You would'nt want to pull from both sides without a breather somewhere....although that's kinda what a Vac-U-Pan does.

many options , screw in breather with pcv provision to port in carburetor on one side , screw in breather or screw in breather with port to air cleaner on the other side . Or use the knock-outs with grommets and breathers and screw in caps. Make sure the breather holes have baffles.

I've got a set of the cast Mopar Performance valve covers and they've come with a single notched opening that would take a 1/4 turn oil fill cap usually. What are others doing to accommodate a PCV hook-up? My local jobber says that they can get a 1/4 turn breather that has a hole in it's top where a pcv hose/valve could go in, but I'm wondering if it's a case of drilling the blank opening in the casting for a grommet and regular pcv valve. Has anyone ever drilled/grommeted and hosed both VC's and then "Y"d them together to run into the port in the intake?

I had the blank spot in some Ansen valve covers (i think they are the exact same as the MP cover) machined to work with a grommet. I wanted it done right because I was tired of oil seepage from sloppy holes for grommets.
you can drill out the blank but the metal isn't .250" there, you need to have it machined, might as well do 1.22" ID hole so you can use the super common Moroso grommets and a .75" PCV valve.

Has anyone ever drilled/grommeted and hosed both VC's and then "Y"d them together to run into the port in the intake?
Bad move, winning move below.
The pcv needs to go to the carb base. A Vented cap on one cover and the pcv on the other. Cross ventilation is the key.
And that’s all there is to that.
:thumbsup:

Thanks Craig! That appears to be a solution that's a win-win! No drilling is the icing on that cake. Thanks also to everyone who chimed in, your suggestions are greatly appreciated. :thankyou:

I’ve used that Scott Drake grommet on MP cast covers as well as my fabbed valve covers. Works great!!!

Looking all over, I finally found one at a Mustang parts guy in Connecticut and he's sending them (yes, I bought two) to my mailbox in N.Falls, now I've just got to see how many hoops I have to jump through to get them home to Canada! All this for a GD pcv valve!

I went this route. Like it or don't.

upload_2022-4-13_18-9-50.png

Mancini Racing part number MOPP5249642.

Jegs part number 555-50358.

One part number from either source gets one pcv grommet and one breather grommet. These would go in the holes that need to be knocked or drilled out of the covers, just like the ones that were originally used by Mopar. These also fit the Ansen covers for Mopar small block and big block engines.

Last edited:
-
Back