Pellet grill and smoker.

-
You California folks are absolutely spoiled with Tri tip. It’s rare to come across in the Midwest but when I was out at Tahoe they may as well have sold that cut at the gas stations.

40 yrs ago when I moved up here from SoCal I had never heard of them. I learnt fast :lol:. Was very common to see them on sale at the market for $.99/lbs when Ground Beast was $1.59 :rofl: That being said, one of my Mother in Law the caterer visits I turned her on to them. She found them in 1 meat market in the greater San Diego area $8.99/lbs :eek::lol:

Tell ya what, this stuff
06d7d15d-b036-45d1-928d-1b4cd945ae58_1.743e12d6a7e650e997ff696b138b75e5.jpg
works real well :thumbsup:
The local Elk's Club has or had a traveling BBQ Catering team. Dual axle trailer close to 90 sq. feet of grill :eek: older guy I knew ran it. Fill the bottom of the fire box with Kingsford, sacks and all and add our local Red Oak bark for the smoke. My old work partner and I used to go to Famoso Raceway for the California Hot Rod Reunion, Jack had his own B/Gas Dragster for entertainment purposes also. One of the early years "Santa Maria Style BBQ lunch for the high dollar ticket holders." So we treated ourselves and got the big bonus package. Smelled great from the bleachers. BBQers had 2 huge trailer mounted pits a reefer trailer for the cold stuff another trailer for the kitchen. "Where you boys from?" I asked. "Fresno" was the reponse. Jack and I just looked at each other :wtf:. Nobody taught them to use a good rub on the meat in Fresno :BangHead:. It beat the track hamburgers barely :lol:. At least we got to eat under a big shade tent :lol: and sit in chairs at a table.

Did a couple more chucks last night for a party but I spent the big bucks and got prime. It made a HUGE difference. Smoked at 250 until I got to 160 IT. Wrapped in foil with some apple juice and back on at 275-300 until I got 197 IT. Total cook time was 6 hours. Put it in the cooler for 3 hours then screwed up the slicing but still very good.

B65651A1-2C81-4A50-BF3D-F78FA24C38B1.jpeg

C0A3D3F0-E742-4BDB-B1A6-96E90213213B.jpeg

6F0198D0-FAA1-4617-B834-BBBBD8645DB6.jpeg

<~~~~~~ Gunna be in trouble with @ocdart 's kids if they stop in Santa Maria for fund raising BBQ Tri Tip lunch. Just took a cruise through town on the normal BBQ route, not 1 single fund raiser BBQ set up :wtf:. If your stuff ain't set up at 09:00, you ain't raisin' funds with BBQ Tri Tip for lunch.
Sorry bout that :BangHead:. High volume weekend seems like perfect time to make your charity's check book a little fatter.

With the holiday tomorrow I am getting the boat loaded up here shortly

It won't be fancy like what you guys are doing here, but I got a little stainless steel grille that comes with the boat

We'll put out on the big lake, anchor off and I'll wade to shore
I can usually get the cooler and the grille in the tube and get there in on trip

That'll be fun

<~~~~~~ Gunna be in trouble with @ocdart's kids if they stop in Santa Maria for fund raising BBQ Tri Tip lunch.

No worries, they hit a traffic delay so drove right through Santa Maria. They may hit one of your suggested restaurants on their way home Thursday.

Probably been said already, but if you want to dip a toe in to the pellet smokers a less expensive one is a great way to start. Buy the Treager pellets and see what you think! Once ya wear it out you can step up to a more deluxe model. Cheers!

-
Back