People and their over priced Mopars!

-

IndianaDodge

Reaction score
I stopped today and looked at a 74 Charger SE, 400, AC, auto column shift black/black... decent body some rust mostly in qtrs, few dings along side but straight, some faded paint. interior was ok no rips but was dirty and needed a good detail and cleaning, carpet was dirty, dash was dusty and had the typical cracks and normal wear due to use... the rubber such as the bumper guards, etc had cracks and sun damage and were dried out! then came the PRICE.... 18,000! It stated it was all original but not much info was listed... I understand its not my car and the seller can try and sell for what ever they choose.. But... Im thinking 6,000 at best if this was the car your looking for! If restored it might bring 18,000! Were 74 SE charger's with 400's that rare? this car really had nothing that made it unique! the car was truley in good shape for its age but well used!

Right there with ya!!!! a guy just north of has 67 68 cuda just setting behind his house been there for years ( going to fixem sum day !! then he said okay 10.000 each I told him what ever and good luck.

Yes , Barren-Jackass really ruined our HOBBY by bringing-out -- what I call -- 'The Corvette Crowd' .
All of a sudden , anything with a Roadrunner [ sic ] character on it is worth a billion dollars ( even if it's not MoPar-related ! ) !

Certainly , the increased interest and value of our beloved MoPars has been the proverbial double-edged sword :
-On the one side , there's been A LOT of reproduction parts being released ; no more junk yard scrounging and swap meet 'snipe' hunting ;
- On the other side , the prices of ANY MoPar are inflated , even for complete piles which need everything refurbished .

The rarity of a 400 Magnum-powered '74 Charger is questionable . Of course 21st Octobre 1973 changed things drastically ( e.g. , the first gas crunch ) ; so , if the car was built prior to this infamous date , then I don't think it's all that rare . If it was ordered / purchased on or after this date , then it's much more 'rare' .
I don't know how many of them were built ; but I do know that the '74 models aren't nearly as desirable as a '71 / '72 .
Then there's the question of : how many survived in the prior to Barren-Jackass days ?

The worst , most rediculous price I've ever seen for a car which needed EVERYTHING refurbished / replaced / rebuilt :
1973 Chevelle SS 454 / 4 speed .
Granted , this is one truly rare car ( '73 454 Chevelles are rare in and of themselves , then add the factory 4 speed into the mix , and the number is something like 200
made ! ) , and would be an interesting and fun ride , but the owner's asking price was -- get this -- $16,000 !!!!! That's right , sixteen thousand !!
I told her to knock that last zero off of the price , and I'd seriously consider it ( lol ) ; then I pointed to the car's headlights and said that everything behind them needed to be restored !

Quote: Im thinking 6,000 at best if this was the car your looking for! If restored it might bring 18,000! Were 74 SE charger's with 400's that rare? this car really had nothing that made it unique! the car was truley in good shape for its age but well used!

Definitely not for a 74 in crappy condition, maybe 18K for a unrestored 68-70 Charger with a 440-4 speed but that's even a stretch. I'd go 8K tops thinking that 400 would have to get stroked to bring it back to life.

Hell I just noticed it's a column shift, change that to 7K.

Even if restored ... I would not bet on it getting 18000 .... Was there not guys on this sight awhile back selling near MINT barracudas , darts , demons for 18000 and could not get it ?????????

Even if restored ... I would not bet on it getting 18000 .... Was there not guys on this sight awhile back selling near MINT barracudas , darts , demons for 18000 and could not get it ?????????

That was me.

62,000 mile, 1968, Formula S, 340, matching #, 4 Speed, Fastback with factory disk brakes and AC.

Had it listed for $18,000 in here and craigslist. Had zero interest.

DSC00056.jpg

I passed on one the same year and package only light blue with a bent drivers side from being T-boned by a bike for $3500 2 years ago those cars aren't worth much .

You are right, it is all about Barrett Jackson or Ebay these days. I think one of the better car shows that is now currently broadcasting is "What's my car worth" which is more realistic to the true price of cars. I watched them look over a nice Mustang the other day (can't remember if it was a boss car, or Mach 1, Gt, or what..) that was a driver, had a couple of little flaws, but was mostly original and really what you would probably see at a local show. They priced the car btw the 8-10 range mainly due to its options. I have seen the same car (most of the time worse condition than the one the featured) priced in the 18-25k range-crazy...

There are only a handful of cars I have ever seen that were Barrett Jackson broadcast (compared to whatever else they sell) worthy.

Im with ya bro. Out here in New England rust is huge. i had been looking for an A body for a while and everything was rotted to **** and these guys think they got mopar gold. Like a 1973 Dart 4dr 6cyl with the quarters rotted off past the body line for $3400. hahaha I got super lucky when I bought my Valiant cause I found a mopar head that wasnt out to screw anyone. Hell for the 1800 that I paid its hard to find just the car, let alone the swap meet worth of parts that came with it. Thank you alan. :) You rock

Boss car? You have a very wide range there. Some Boss cars are hugely expensive (1969 Boss 429, 69-70 Boss 302)…… The others are worth much less.

I think it was a Mach 1 car... anyways, it wasn't just a simple fast paint/overspray special with dirt in the carpet. The car was very solid, resale red/black interior, no rust, all original and small show worthy.

It's not just Mopars. There are a-holes that own all brands.

I was at a local cruise-in on Friday. Guy was there with a 64 Chevy Belair 4-door. 6-cylinder, 3 on the tree. Body looked straight. Had paint that was only two years old, and looked decent. Dented up trim. Steel wheels with no caps. Interior was fair. Certainly not even close to being a show car or anything like that. Just to strike up a conversation, I asked him how much he wanted.

He said $18k.

Trying to not laugh out loud, I wished him good luck with the sale.

I didnt have the heart to tell him that I have a 64 Impala convertible for sale for $17k with a whole ton of new parts on it, and have had very little interest.

He'll be buried in that thing - lol.

I know this is bad but when we started looking for a car..since I have a 'stang, we started looking for a '69 fastback, boss, you know, there were bunches of them around..crude car..long trips your legs would melt and were rough on the road, but pretty...I assume that the survivors are made out of pure gold ..

I am really glad we bought the Duster..it was kind of expensive for what you guys pay for deep down in the states but it didn't have any rust ..that I didn't mind paying a premium for..the ride and fit is so much betting that what we looked at..

However, down here the MOPAR folks keep their spares very quiet..I can find tons of stuff for cheby and ford but I have been asking about mopar stuff here and no one knows..that is why I buy mostly from the states..Today I found a mint set of , I think they are called dog dish cop hub caps..he hasn't owned a MOPAR for years but don't want to sell..

Grassy

My favorite "over-priced car" is the Toyota Supra. One movie and it went from a cool sports car from toyota to "god" status. Granted, the prices finally went down a year or so after the movie, but i remember people trying to sell the twin turbos for like 40k after that movie.

I am sure there are numerous fellow mopar lovers out there that are sitting on cars they would love to sell ... and turn around and by something different ... The problem is nobody has the extra money or there holding onto there coin ... If there is no selling going on .. i doubt there is very much buying going on ... chain reaction...Consumer confidence is still lacking ....
NOT to mention ... did the Mopar ( classic car ) car prices peak .... and reality is setting in ?
1968formualas340 ( turn key car ) ... Great car ... Great example....

My favorite "over-priced car" is the Toyota Supra. One movie and it went from a cool sports car from toyota to "god" status. Granted, the prices finally went down a year or so after the movie, but i remember people trying to sell the twin turbos for like 40k after that movie.

Please a Toyota with God status..i just puked :puker::puker::puker:....

i dont know if people just say a high price because they dont want to sell it, some people ask me if i were to sell some of my cars how much. i tell them a super high amount and there like you will never get that. But honestly i say that much cause i will never sell mine and dont care what they are worth.

guy with that charger might of been like 18k because he doesnt want to sell it but if someone did come along and paid that stupid amount then the owner would part with it.

i dont know if people just say a high price because they dont want to sell it, some people ask me if i were to sell some of my cars how much. i tell them a super high amount and there like you will never get that. But honestly i say that much cause i will never sell mine and dont care what they are worth.

guy with that charger might of been like 18k because he doesnt want to sell it but if someone did come along and paid that stupid amount then the owner would part with it.

Everything is for sale. The price just has to be high enough.

My buddy had a 70 383 Challenger vert. Someone asked him " How much?". He answered 40K knowing it wasn't worth that much. This is 8yrs ago by the way. Three days later this guy bought the car. Apperently he had one just like it back in the 70's, got married & had to sell.

The question you have to ask yourself is; How much money will it take to sell my car?

-
Back