People think Mopar is slow??

-

UOP

Reaction score
Last night I went to a small local car meet for the first time in my little project car. For those who don't know it's an RX7 with a mild magnum 360. I parked away from everyone since my car was dirty, but almost as soon as I pulled in, a guy walked up and asked if it had a small block Ford in it (apparently sounds like it, my buddies say the same thing), and was asking how quick it was, etc ,etc. I talked to him for a minute or two, but as soon as I said it had a 360 under the hood he almost immediately lost interest, pretty much telling me that if it had a Ford or Chevy under the hood it would be fast, but not with my crappy Mopar, basically. I just say "yeah, ok", shrug it off and go about my business of checking out the other cars.

After I make my first lap around the parking lot, I notice a few guys looking at the air cleaner sticking out of my hood (I never opened it). I walked over and they asked what was done to my 350. I said it's pretty mild with a performance intake, cam, and headers, but it's not a 350, it a 360. One guy asked if it was bored, I said no, stock bore, it's a Mopar. Then the same thing that happened earlier, happened again. They asked why not a Chevy, and that anything but a new hemi or big block was worthless when it comes to Mopars. Again I just say "yeah sure, whatever you say", and try to shrug it off telling myself that these guys are idiots. I stayed a little while longer, but left early.

I know that people are very brand loyal (also brand stupid), but to say that my mild little 360 is worthless, and SLOW, is, well, DUMB. I know it, and you know it. Most of the time stuff like this doesn't bother me (it's MY car and I'll do what I want with it), but I guess I thought car guys would be more open to my project. I don't know, I just thought I would share since it's been on my mind all day. What's your thoughts? Thanks for letting me rant a little.

UOP,you should of said Let,s line them up and see.(of coarse on a backroad somewhere away from people)Then they,d have learned a Mopar lesson.LOL.Play it cool!:glasses2:

They are idiots. Stupid, no brain worthless idiots. Get away from that group. lol...

Last night I went to a small local car meet for the first time in my little project car. For those who don't know it's an RX7 with a mild magnum 360. I parked away from everyone since my car was dirty, but almost as soon as I pulled in, a guy walked up and asked if it had a small block Ford in it (apparently sounds like it, my buddies say the same thing), and was asking how quick it was, etc ,etc. I talked to him for a minute or two, but as soon as I said it had a 360 under the hood he almost immediately lost interest, pretty much telling me that if it had a Ford or Chevy under the hood it would be fast, but not with my crappy Mopar, basically. I just say "yeah, ok", shrug it off and go about my business of checking out the other cars.

After I make my first lap around the parking lot, I notice a few guys looking at the air cleaner sticking out of my hood (I never opened it). I walked over and they asked what was done to my 350. I said it's pretty mild with a performance intake, cam, and headers, but it's not a 350, it a 360. One guy asked if it was bored, I said no, stock bore, it's a Mopar. Then the same thing that happened earlier, happened again. They asked why not a Chevy, and that anything but a new hemi or big block was worthless when it comes to Mopars. Again I just say "yeah sure, whatever you say", and try to shrug it off telling myself that these guys are idiots. I stayed a little while longer, but left early.

I know that people are very brand loyal (also brand stupid), but to say that my mild little 360 is worthless, and SLOW, is, well, DUMB. I know it, and you know it. Most of the time stuff like this doesn't bother me (it's MY car and I'll do what I want with it), but I guess I thought car guys would be more open to my project. I don't know, I just thought I would share since it's been on my mind all day. What's your thoughts? Thanks for letting me rant a little.

OK,lets just put this in perspective.
You have a V-8 in a 2500# RX-7 and someone
thinks its gonna be slow!
That right there ought to tell you what you are dealing with.LOL!!!

You need to ask them how they would know being that they have had their head shoved up their Cheby's exhaust pipe. I love assholes like that. You find out how much of a coward they are when you tell them to line up and find out whose faster. Some people think Chevies are the best simply because everyone else does. They are too scared to be different.

i had experiences like that before, i always gave it right back at them every week at the cruises. i ended up becoming good friends with a couple of the gm guys. we razzed each other all the time in good fun, but at first we were offended and didnt really like each others presence. i actually ended up selling my duster to one of the guys that picked on mopar.he started respecting the chryslers the more we talked. dont get me wrong, this went on for a couple of years, i also got some respect for his pontiacs. stick it out , if they are real car guys,then you should all get along someday,that is if you run into them on a regular basis.

Those people are uninformed and over opinionated, don't sweat it, sounds like a cool ride.

One time I had the hood up on the old FJ-40, 340 powered then. Some kid drove up, glanced in, wanted to know "what size Chivvee is that?"

I said "when was the last time you saw a Chivvee with spark plugs pointing up like that?

He had no idea

Those Desert Dogs used to have the UGLIEST squal when you broke 'em loose.

I have a long running argument with my best bud, He is a chevy guy,gotta sweet little El Camino that we put together. I told him that pound for pound,dollar for dollar that if we put the same time, energy and dollars into my 340 and his 350, he'll get his *** handed to him,...and his daily driver is a Dakota,...Ha

I would have turned to them and asked "why on earth would I waste my time putting in a P.O.S. chevy motor?"

Because 360's were smog motors... That's why.

The guys doing the looking/talking are just ignorant. What they were when they rolled out of the showroom has little to do with what they are today.

I get that all the time with my cars at shows,I take it with a grain of salt because for one I didn't build my cars for them and I do all the work myself.And I find that many people that have that kind of outlook on cars is more than likely a magazine car guy that pays someone else to build there cars to look like the one in a magazine.
I had a guy at a show blow me crap because I brought out my 93 Daytona Iroc R/T and when I asked him which car was his?His head dropped and he said I don't have one here.
By the way I love what you have done with the little Mazda
Doug

A coupla times at our local weekend car meet, I have had people look at my Dart, see the 383 logo on the power bulges on the hood and then say:

"Hey, is that a stroker in your Nova..?" :banghead:

Buncha Dip-sticks..

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

-

I used to think the same way,I have always had chevy's still do
(71' chevelle).
Mopar is the way to go hell of alot more torque. out of a small block mopar than a chevy.
My 360 powered dart changed my ways.
I have been toying with the idea of selling my chevelle for a 67' Coronet.

getting ready to stroke the 360 now. Curious to see how it compares to the stroked small block I have.

Just tell them that you like slow Cars and not so unbelievable fast and powerfull cars like Chevys!:hello1:

I always ask these big talkers to produce a time slip for me and the ones that talk the most seem to be"well, I used to have a car that" and other such bs. I always say, any wednesday or friday night in the season at the strip I will meet them there and we can settle it.

I always ask em if they know what GM means? general motors = generic motors= everybodies got one ='s what every body else is doing. I'm not like them. " I admire a fine body no matter what the make" But I prefer Mopar because not everyone has one. Not everyone knows about them. I am different and not everyone knows about me.
How many carshows have we all been to and seen 3 nearly identacle cameros and 1 Charger?

how about a FABO top 10 answers to
"why didnt you use a chevy motor?"

#10 "I thought fast and cool was better than slow and boring"
and the top answer as decided by fabo members everywhere is..........
#1?????????????????????????

Ya, they're idiots, it goes with the territory.

But why put a V-8 in a Mazda?

Those Rotary engines are kickass. You can do so much to them, and they just scream. Built correctly, they'll blow any small block away.

A coupla times at our local weekend car meet, I have had people look at my Dart, see the 383 logo on the power bulges on the hood and then say:

"Hey, is that a stroker in your Nova..?" :banghead:

Buncha Dip-sticks..

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

-

What about people that ask if I've got a 454 under my hood?! wtf?

M ove
O ver
P eople
A re
R acing

I have offered many people the chance to kick my 360 truck engines a$$ but no takers yet!

Attachments

• 000_2408.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 788
-
Back