Performer RPM Magnum heads?

-
you won’t need over 500 horse to run low 11’s with a 3000 pound car.
I went 11.26 with a 3350 pound car and wasn’t remotely close to 500 horse. More like maybe 450, maybe.
At 3000 pounds I would have dipped into the 10’s rather easily.
Most chassis's are not optimum for strip use, so I err on the higher side.

The car that engine went into is a street car that goes to the strip maybe 2-3 times a year...with a 3.55 gear it ran 6.80's in the 1/8...my car with our magazine engine that made 485HP went 6.90's at the same track. His car is about 3500 with him in it, my car with me was 3380. So when I say you'll need 500+ to go low 11's, yes it might be a little high, but easily attainable with the Eddy Magnum heads and a good layout of engine/trans/converter/chassis.
Keep in mind my car is ladder bar/coil over, 4.56 gear, 28" tire, low gear 904 trans and I used a 3500 stall Hughes converter I borrowed from Rob (crackedback). That was foot braking as well.

Unless you must do it yourself and have all the fun/hassle that comes with it all, a very simple way forward funds allowing in a 3000lb car that hooks would be a Blueprint Mag 408@465hp, you'd be looking at>
60 Foot E.T. :​
1.51​
Seconds​
1/8 Mile E.T. :​
6.87​
Seconds​
1/8 Mile Trap Speed :​
98.99​
MPH​
1/4 Mile E.T. :​
10.88​
Seconds​
1/4 Mile Trap Speed :​
123​
MPH​
1/4 Mile Trap RPM :​
5,782​
RPM+slip​
Thats with 3.91's and a 28" tyre, drop it in and go run your numbers.

you won’t need over 500 horse to run low 11’s with a 3000 pound car.
I went 11.26 with a 3350 pound car and wasn’t remotely close to 500 horse. More like maybe 450, maybe.
At 3000 pounds I would have dipped into the 10’s rather easily.
That’s the whole thing right there that most forget and never are pursuing. Less weight =‘s go faster! Easier for the engine and easier on parts.

That’s the whole thing right there that most forget and never are pursuing. Less weight =‘s go faster! Easier for the engine and easier on parts.

Agreed.
I have a non normal racing thing. Anything I have ever had is dual purpose, and not cut up to save weight.
Were I to ever have a dedicated race car, the very first thing I would chase is weight.
easier on your motor and trans, car reacts quicker, easier to push in staging lanes( if you choose/ need to)
Just zero negatives of having a light car, plenty of positives.
3350 to 3000 pounds should see a solid 3 tenths on a time slip.
First time I ever really took notice of weight…number of years ago a buddy campaigned his ultra light 72 Cuda chassis car.
Had a B1-BA stroker motor in it. So basically a good Eddie motor.
went 9.04 in the mid 140’s. Ain’t gonana run those numbers if you drop that mill in a 3350 pound dual purpose car

Last edited:
I gotta laugh when we as fat guys make comments about how fast we could go if our cars weighed less.

lol
i am fat, but even if I was the weight I should be, it’s a tenth or so.
the big difference is what can you put up with as far as hacking up a car, there are hundreds of pounds there. But personally, I don’t want lexan, fiberglass hoods, fenders, tube chassis, gutted interiors with one race seat. Etc, etc, etc. no carpet, no headliner, door panels.
gutted race cars aren’t me.

I like them gutted but I want to also have the easy button so mine has steel doors with wind up windows, steel fenders and a tied together frontend that can be removed with four bolts. Simple mild engine that will run 6.0’s for three days in a row and never need the hood off. Hatch on my fiberglass trunk so I Dont have to remove the trunk to add fuel. And a 60 amp single wire alternator that I only have to charge the battery once a month just for insurance.

That’s a big part of the picture as well. “What are you willing to live with and without?” I’m about to embark on fooling around with my ‘79 Magnum. A street strip deal. It’ll be more street by far. I like the car, I love driving the car, so it will change little in looks. The (temporarily stalled) ‘71 Duster project will be stripped and gutted and lightened. Street time will be very reduced. A once in a while blast around town or a show, that’s it. I won’t mind the lack of a stereo, heat, etc…. In the Magnum, it’ll have this things and more.

For a 410 stroker Magnum I bought the Eldy Performer NHRA Magnum heads from Mancini on a 'Black Friday' deal. Mild cam as this is my non-hotrodding wifes 78 LRT. I paid like $850 for the pair plus Mancini's stupid shipping

Port work was trash with a lot of core shift. Oil drain back holes were 3/8 inch. Casting flash everywhere.

I cleaned up the ports and gasket matched a little, made the transition to the valve seats more tapered. All oil drainback holes are now 9/16 or 5/8 inch

1a.jpg

14a.jpg

20191118_165045.jpg

Assualt Rocker 2.jpg

Cam Card.jpg

For a 410 stroker Magnum I bought the Eldy Performer NHRA Magnum heads from Mancini on a 'Black Friday' deal. Mild cam as this is my non-hotrodding wifes 78 LRT. I paid like $850 for the pair plus Mancini's stupid shipping

Port work was trash with a lot of core shift. Oil drain back holes were 3/8 inch. Casting flash everywhere.

I cleaned up the ports and gasket matched a little, made the transition to the valve seats more tapered. All oil drainback holes are now 9/16 or 5/8 inch

View attachment 1716025963

View attachment 1716025964

View attachment 1716025966

View attachment 1716025967

View attachment 1716025969

850.00 for the heads. That sounds like a great deal.

850.00 for the heads. That sounds like a great deal.
It was one of those Emails from Mancini and a close out run3 years ago.

But if I knew how much core shift was in them I may have passed. 6 out of the 8 ex ports were twisted but cleaned up. 4 of the 8 Intakes too. Very little distance from the manifold bolt hole to the port on two exhaust ports that they may leak. And if I remember, shipping was like $50 each head.

Yes a nice heart shaped chamber. I think 58cc. 2.02" Intake and 1.62" Exhaust.

The Chevy rockers, while not roller fulcrum, are roller tip and 1.6:1 ratio and cost $65 for the set of 16, also 3 years ago.

Just for kicks I want to say that I went with Eddie Performer RPM Magnum heads on my 408 stroker. I had them cleaned up (out of the box) and port matched to my LA airgap intake by Hughes (who also drilled them to take the LA intake). I went with a version of the GM rocker at a Magnum ratio of 1.6. BTW... I had to clearance the pushrod path just a bit.

Anyhow with no tune and a 3500 stall (off the foot brake) I see 7 sec 1/8 in my lite street Dart in the nineties. I think I could tune .5 out of it but really just enjoy the car on cruise nights these days so...

For me I like the Magnums, the chamber and the valve size.

-
Back