performer rpm vs airgap horsepower

-

7e5hangten360

semi-pro
Reaction score
for those in the know : is there a horsepower difference between the 2 intakes for small-blocks? there is one new in-the-box ``rpm`` for sale locally for 150$, should i go for it or just buy an air-gap? car is a street/strip dart with a street-roller cammed-360 ( comp xr286r) , that should touch the 11`s. former 340 (solid-cam mp 557) went 12.14. former intake was an ld-340 that was sold with the 340. for now i have a strip-dominator to try but thought a good dual-plane migth do better for torque as im only using a 3800 stall converter. any ideas? :happy1:

what track you run at ? And will you be running this weekend ? I run an air gap , a bit better all around than the cast iron intake it replaced . Don't think you'll gain much over strip dominator .

They both are rated at (1,500-6,500 rpm).
Where the Air-Gap shines is it's open air space design, which separates the runners from the hot engine oil, resulting in a cooler, denser charge for more power.

I can't remember where I read it (so treat this as a rumor:) ), but the HP difference between the RPM and RPM Airgap was only around 5 HP. Not enough to make a significant difference.

150.00 is a good price, but not a great price. A new Air Gap can be found on ebay for 168.00, with free shipping, is 5 HP worth $18.00?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Your saying a new EDELBROCK rpm air gap can be found for 168$ I don't think so your talking about the knock off air gap intakes no edelbrock... Which is 263$ new from summit racing

Jerry6 : for a track, i usually go to napierville dragway and because the new engine isnt completely ready ,i wont be racing again before spring. the short-block is assembled and i am porting the j heads as we speak. too little time and money left for racing this fall though.:banghead:
joe: when i ment airgap, i meant edelbrock, not the chinese knock-offs. ever noticed they dont use the name ``air-gap``. i thought about using the china- airgaps for a while but thought i should just stick with edelbrock for quality and performance.:protest:

Oh well , next year I guess . Only a few weekends left anyhow . Napierville is my usual track , but have run at mirabel a few times this year , not a bad track , and closer as well .
Hope I run into you next year.

My 2 cents.

If you have or can get a RPM for a good deal, it's not worth the extra to get an air gap. Block the crossover, tig it closed, block it with the cheap plate they put in the gasket set, stuff it with aluminum foil, whatever, run it if you don't care about cold weather warm ups.

My 2 cents.

If you have or can get a RPM for a good deal, it's not worth the extra to get an air gap. Block the crossover, tig it closed, block it with the cheap plate they put in the gasket set, stuff it with aluminum foil, whatever, run it if you don't care about cold weather warm ups.
x2

I can't remember where I read it (so treat this as a rumor:) ), but the HP difference between the RPM and RPM Airgap was only around 5 HP. Not enough to make a significant difference.

150.00 is a good price, but not a great price. A new Air Gap can be found on ebay for 168.00, with free shipping, is 5 HP worth $18.00?

Regards,

Joe Dokes
I would think thats a rumor, 5 hp is a lot, unless maybe they were running manifold heat into the rpm which would kind of make me wonder why use a Hi Performance aluminum intake in the first place?

The comparison was done in hotrod magazine in the last issue. And I believe it was only 3 hp difference.

i searched everywhere but cant find the article in hot rod magazine, any suggestions? also, this thread is kind of useless, as i found out from the seller the intake for sale was a chevy intake:angryfir:. so for now i will just use the strip-dom i have. also, i read some article a long time ago that said there was really a 5hp difference between the rpm and airgap. but i just wanted to know if somebody knew the hp difference from dyno experience or saw a newer article. thanks all.:hello2:

The only thing between the 2 intakes besides a most minor amount of power difference is the RPM should be used on daily drivers requiring heat for cold weather. The heat allowed into the intake for cold weather is a huge plus for such temps. Otherwise, in the heat of summer, I'm sure there's more of a power loss.

Considering the cam involved, I think the Holley Street Dom. will work very well. Though you didn't mention gear ratio, the stall appears to be in the workable range for the cam. Considering it is a street strip ride, not a track only car.

Here's the article I was thinking of, we were both wrong, the power difference was 4 HP between the Air Gap RPM and the regular RPM. AS TESTED ON A CHEVY. Though I think the test is still valid as it is basically comparing manifolds on a wedge motor. As always YMMV.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/113_0407_best_induction_combo/viewall.html

As for the price I quoted. The manifold is gone off of ebay. So either I was mistaken (A possibility I admit, just ask my wife she says I'm wrong all the time.) or it sold.

Either way. Since we are all in agreement that $150.00 is a good price, and in my opinion the HP difference is negligible, I'd buy the manifold.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

The latest hot Rod issue (November 2011) has it again...

About a 4HP increase at 6,200RPM and overall an average 2.1HP over the whole power range (2,600 to 6,400)...verses the Performer RPM.

One thing they did say was...maybe the results under a hood in a hot engine compartment would be different (verses the dyno room with good air flow).

Paul

I think i have an old magazine with the info u guys are looking for; Give me a bit and I will look for it; maybe some pics if that helps!!!

Sorry guys; The magazine i have only has the performer non RPM and an Air Gap with a single plane.

The HP difference is insignificant with more of the win / loss division going to the better/ worse driver.
The real difference is driveabilty between the intakes. That is where it is really at. Anybody drive with a air-gap in the winter? I'll tell ya it sucks.

The HP difference is insignificant with more of the win / loss division going to the better/ worse driver.
The real difference is driveabilty between the intakes. That is where it is really at. Anybody drive with a air-gap in the winter? I'll tell ya it sucks.
it takes a while to warm up , but after it's warm no trouble .

I ran a strip dominator on my former engine
was a very good intake

wish I could fund one instead of my M1 w2 intake
it have a prestone passage that goes under
the carbs to keep it hot for winther driving
but who drive a 600hp 408cu.in. in winther time

Yes, my winter truck has one, I'm taking it off.

-
Back