Personal Crisis in Western NC: HELP!!!

-
Hey guys! Sorry to keep you all in suspense. My modem died and I had to wait on charter so send us a new one in the mail! Thank goodness I did all my paypal transferring I needed to do before that happened. :prayer:

So the rear has been under the car for a few days and doin great! But its so damn weird to drive the car around and it be so silent! I appreciate everything you guys have done for me and I hope that next time I see a thread where somebody needs somethng, I'm in the position to help out.

I got a question for you guys, me and my buddy was debating over my dinner birthday tonight. Which leaf spring sits higher on the SS leaf springs, left or right? And can't you use two left or two right on the same car?

We didn't get to do pizza today cause the local pizza joint was closed by the time we made it there, so we decided to hit the buffet. We ended up at Hibachi Grill and Buffet.

Starting on the left and going counter clockwise is me, my girlfriend Kayleigh, my niece Olivia and nephew Andy, my dad, my mom, my sister April, her boyfriend Chris, Tonya who's engaged to my best bud Jedidiah.
mail3.jpg

I'm not going backwards through that huge list of people. :D
mail2.jpg

Everybody wanted me to pass along there thanks for dinner!

It sure is cool to see everyone together and happy. Good job on handling the crisis.

Thats Great That all is Good with your car. Have to say it is an Honour to be part of this huge FABO family & was able to help you out in a time of Need.

Happy Belated Birthday by the way! :cheers:

I haven't been on here much lately, but I'm glad to see your crisis was averted. The FABO is a great bunch of people! Happy belated birthday and your next tank of gas is on me, paypal sent. Cheers.

Matt....glad the rearend turned out to be in good shape. I'm very happy that I was able to give it to you, and you were able to use it. I'm sure the dude who started the work on my Duster is smiling down from above about it too. When I went to pick up my Duster, his family spoke of him like you did about your family....very highly. Funny how stuff like that works out. :D

Matt....glad the rearend turned out to be in good shape. I'm very happy that I was able to give it to you, and you were able to use it. I'm sure the dude who started the work on my Duster is smiling down from above about it too. When I went to pick up my Duster, his family spoke of him like you did about your family....very highly. Funny how stuff like that works out. :D

Neat story, thanks for sharing and thanks for donating the parts!! Great people like this make this awesome site even better!!! :glasses7:

I got a question for you guys, me and my buddy was debating over my dinner birthday tonight. Which leaf spring sits higher on the SS leaf springs, left or right? And can't you use two left or two right on the same car?

The right side sits higher on the SS springs... Unless you installed them on the wrong side....

Due to the rotation of the driveshaft and the gearing in the axle, the right side sees more torque than the left. That's why the factory B & E bodies had stiffer right springs than the left. Under hard acceleration, if you don't have a stiffer spring, the car was found to jump almost a full lane to the right. Therefore they had to make the right hand springs stiffer to handle this condition for safety.

Theoretically you could put "equal" springs on both sides, if you don't plan to drive it very hard. But if you are putting out over 300 hp and plan to get on it hard or drag race it, the stiffer right spring is the safe way to go.

Oh, glad to hear that your car is up and running well again.

It looks like you and your family had a nice birthday dinner.

Glad to hear you are back on the road. Would not a but a handful of you if we met some where but I still consider everyone family.

So I realized something today.

My speedometer is way way freakin off and I can accelerate at modern-car-speeds without having to hardly crack the throttle...

Anyone got any ideas on why this happened? The way she accelerates, I thought I had a 318 under the hood.

I coulda sworn that when I was turning the axle on the new rear, I counted 2-3/4 rotation on the pinion...

Now, I'm wondering if I actually miscounted and ended up with 3-3/4. :D

So I realized something today.

My speedometer is way way freakin off and I can accelerate at modern-car-speeds without having to hardly crack the throttle...

Anyone got any ideas on why this happened? The way she accelerates, I thought I had a 318 under the hood.

I coulda sworn that when I was turning the axle on the new rear, I counted 2-3/4 rotation on the pinion...

Now, I'm wondering if I actually miscounted and ended up with 3-3/4. :D

Get a watch with seconds on it. Take your car on the highway and go a steady 60 mph as consistantly as you can without changing speed. Catch your seconds as you pass a mile marker, then see how many seconds it will take to get to the next mile marker. At 60 MPH it should be exactly 1 minute or 60 seconds. If it is not, accelerate or decelerate until you get to 60 seconds between mile markers, this will be your new 60 mph mark (unless you get a new spedo gear in the transmission to correct it).

Also take note on how many miles your speedo says between mile markers, that will also give an idea of how much different the new rear end gear is compared to your old one. If you need help converting, post up the numbers after you try this, and we can help you.

Im one step ahead. If i remember correctly, there was 1.4 miles between each mile marker.

As per the speedometer app on my phone, 70 is the new 54 and 93 is the new 70. Those are only as accurate, of course, as GPS can get.

Ok, here is what I can make of your information:

Desired speed Speedo reading

20 28
25 35
30 42
35 49
40 56
45 63
50 70
55 77
60 84
65 91
70 98
75 105

If your original axle was:

Was V1 (1.4) V2 (1.296) V3 (1.32)

2.76 3.86 3.57 3.64
2.92 4.10 3.78 3.85
3.23 4.52 4.18 4.26

You really need to do the 60 second timing on the highway. The information you supplied has some varaition. 70/54 = 1.296, 93/70 = 1.32 Your speedo says 1.4. There is quite a bit of variation between those three different points of information.

But by running the numbers and seeing which ones make sense, you either went from 2.92 to 4.10 rear axle ratio or 2.76 to 3.57. I think the 2.76 to 3.57 is probably the most possible meaning you went from 2.76 to 3.55 actually. I haven't heard of many (or any) 7 1/4" axles running 4.10 gears from the factory.

So now your new chart is:

Desired speed Speedo reading

20 26
25 32
30 39
35 45
40 52
45 58
50 65
55 71
60 78
65 84
70 91
75 97

However, if you want to impress your friends, tell them your car can do 100 MPH and take them on the highway and get your speedo at 100 and you will be actually doing 77 mph (but don't tell them that). You can get some of them to believe you can actually do 100 with your new axle....

But do the 60 second test on the highway and find out what you are doing when your speedo reads 60 mph consistantly for a mile and then pace up to running 60 seconds between mile markers and record the speedo reading for a mile in 60 seconds. Then we can give more accurate information.

Note* the spacing in the chart got messed up while posting. I typed it right....

So apparently my memory sucks too much to give you some accurate numbers. :D Tommorrow I'll get an assistant to ride with me and jot everything down. lol

So apparently my memory sucks too much to give you some accurate numbers. :D Tommorrow I'll get an assistant to ride with me and jot everything down. lol

That's called a "brain fart"... LOL! :fart: :eek:ops: :violent1:

Like I stated earlier this morning, the best fit for the numbers is that you went from a 2.76 to a 3.55.

Your fuel economy will suffer a bit....

But you will have fun surprising people at stoplights...

Like I stated earlier this morning, the best fit for the numbers is that you went from a 2.76 to a 3.55.

Your fuel economy will suffer a bit....

But you will have fun surprising people at stoplights...
I was thinking 3.55 myself because of the huge difference in the driving characteristics. Either way, I won't be surprising anybody I think cause that's not such a smart idea with such a puny little 7-1/4.

I won't be surprising anybody I think cause that's not such a smart idea with such a puny little 7-1/4.

Yes, that's true. I had a 68 barracuda fastback that I used to drive everyday. It had a 318 with a 340 cam and dual exhaust with a Holley 600 vacuum secondary carb and 360 heads. I blew up three 7 1/4 axles in 4 years. then went to 8 3/4 and never broke another axle. Those 7 1/4 axles can't handle much over a stock 318.

Ok, the results are in!!!

Speedometer/Phone (+/- 1 mph)
10/9
20/17
30/24
40/32
50/41
60/49
70/55
80/64
90/70
100/77

The car speedometer at 60 mph takes 1:13 between mile markers. 1 minute between mile markers is 74mph +/- 2 mph (I had a hard time being consistent and watching the road.

-
Back