Pertronix out...points in...bummer

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
OK...I swapped my distributors. Took out the one with the Pertronix and put in the one with points. Now the car runs...happy the car runs, not so happy the Pertronix crapped out in less than a year:protest:

OK...I swapped my distributors. Took out the one with the Pertronix and put in the one with points. Now the car runs...happy the car runs, not so happy the Pertronix crapped out in less than a year:protest:

Pertronix is usually pretty reliable,but as you have found out can have issues.
I would go to a Chrysler electronic ign system. Bullet proof and reliable.

I called Pertronix tech line. They are sending an email w/ testing instructions. If it fails the test I'll have to send it back under warranty. I'll follow through on this first, but I'm thinking I may want to switch to another style ignition. It seems to have crapped out sitting in the driveway.

I hate mine too, if that's any consolation. Car runs so crappy I'm lucky to make it back from a 1 mile test drive.

Should be easy to find a breakerless dist, then use a GM HEI module. Even if you only use the factory coil and the old style 4 pin module, it's still a very reliable ignition, and you can easily carry a spare module, or at least buy a replacement in any parts store.

I hear if you leave your ignition on with the motor not running it will kill it just like that. I've got the Pertronix III setup and I love it.

First failure I've heard about. At least you found the problem. tmm

I used to work for Pertronix's owner's sister's husband. :-D If you don't get any action from customer service, ask to speak to Tom Reh. LOL!!!!

If my car relies on it, and I can't buy it at a nationwide parts store, it doesn't go in the car. Period.

I love mine and I bought it second hand, I do have the orignal in the trunk though just in case.

Do you have a modern voltage regulater or an original relay type ?

I remember my original voltage regulator would set off my fuzz buster always at 33 mph :) but that was 30 years ago. A newer type regulator will improve the longevity of your electronics.

To the best of my knowledge, I didn't leave the ignition on. The keys are on the same ring with all my other keys. I would have had to leave them in the Valiant. No incidents of losing keys and finding them in the ignition. The car wouldn't start. It was obviously getting fuel. I could smell it. I pulled the coil wire, cranked it with ignition on, no spark. I pulled the distributor with the Pertronix and put in one with points. Car runs now. I tested the unit as per instructions given by the tech line. It failed the test. I will send it back under warranty. I have't made up my mind on what to do for an ignition yet. It ran great until it didn't run at all.:confused:

Damn,I have them in 3 cars for at least 10 years.All I's no fail.Sorry to hear that but it sounds like they are doing something for you.The only problem was with the II or III. You have to use the right coil and bypass the ballist.I didn't do that when first installing the II on my brother-in-law's car.MY bad,I should have read the instructions

I had two fail on me within 6 months of each other. Coincidentally, it was every time it rained. Had everything wired up properly, so I'm 90% sure it was moisture in my distributor from the rain. Bought a new set of points, put them in and haven't had any trouble since.

JMO on this... easy to find even in junk yards, or if you have three Mopars in your yard :D just pull it off one and put it in the one you need to drive :coffee2:
I had an old ecu go out after 4 years on my 66 /6 Valiant and pulled this one off my 85 V8 ramcharger. heck :colors: these things are everywhere.

Attachments

• Picture%20222%20005.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 387
  • ecudia.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 423
Hard to beat the ease and low cost of a new HEI distributor ($45 and up, ebay), but they don't make one for a slant (though many posts on "rolling your own"). I understand that all the early non-HEI ignitions (w/ ballast - Mopar, original Ignitor, Holley XR700, points) can be damaged by leaving the key in "run" with the engine off.

I ran the stock hall sensor electric dizzy with the GM HEI module in mine until a couple of months ago ( 4-5 years I think ). Swap was easy, parts are cheap, idle and start were smooth and easy. I do know that the HEI's don't like being under powered, I burnt up 2 modules running them off of the ign switch before I fixed a lot of the wiring. Installed a relay to run it and all was well.
....people used to look at me funny when they saw the GM logo on the thing on the fender well :lol:

I don't know which way I'm gonna go with the ignition yet. But I do know that I forgot to take the old unit to the post office today...CRUD!

Well, the new Ignitor arrived today. Guess I'll give it another try.

X2 It's the first failure I'v heard of. I'v had a pertronix in my car for 9 year's now and it's been great.

I personally had a failure in the first year and have seen several posts on here and slantsix.org of people with similar issues. I do not like the pertronix but I have several valid reasons. As stated they will cover it under warranty but you can not walk into any parts store and get it replaced you have to sen them the old unit and wait up to 2 weeks for a replacement.

I think I will try it again.Otherwise I wasted my $70. I'm glad i used the original ignitor so the balast resistor is still there. I'll keep an extra dizzy with points in my trunk.

i had petronix in my 66 bug. it crapped out a few weeks ago. had one in a old vw bus that lasted for many many years. win some lose some:)

-
Back