PGClassic chrome mirror corroding already!

-
Reaction score
Last September I bought a new reproduction RH "looks like the LH remote" sideview mirror for my '73 Dart. I knew when I bought it exactly where it was made (China, like everything else PGClassic sells -- AFAIK there is only one source for this mirror, no matter who sells it). As a product development manager myself, I know it is possible to get good quality from China, but it takes a great deal of care in selecting the job shop, supervision and babysitting to make sure all specifications are followed throughout production, not just for the approval sample.

Yesterday while washing the car I noticed that the RH mirror housing is showing crumbly white corrosion after less than six months in service. The LH mirror housing, which is original equipment, is free of corrosion after thirty-seven years.

So, this definitely isn't acceptable. I'll be calling PGClassic today and will report what they say and do. If they haven't found and fixed the problems causing quick corrosion, just replacing the mirror for me will not be sufficient; the new one will just go the same way in another half a year.

Those mirrors are junk, I know a guy who put a pair on his 68 Charger R/T, his lasted less than a year. Good luck, I would just ask for my money back and restore an original part.

I have not put mine on the road yet and you are right I just noticed the same. They are starting to pit. I used some chrome polish and it took some of it out but it still has some. Now I guess I will have to do the same. I just hope that it doesn't happen with the handles.

Sad to hear that. I've bought a few things from PG Classic. Peter was easy to deal with. I hope my chrome hood scoop bezels don't turn crappy. China quality is job one.... Or is it fudging China specs is job one? Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Oh yeah, I never wash my Demon. I just use http://www.waterless-wash.com/ I bought it from a local guy years ago and not over the 'net.

Wylde1.

PG Classics just sent me one of their catalogs. It cost them $13.10 to ship it from China.

With shipping costs for unsolicited catalogs and junk re-pops how can they afford to stay in business?

PG Classics just sent me one of their catalogs. It cost them $13.10 to ship it from China.

With shipping costs for unsolicited catalogs and junk re-pops how can they afford to stay in business?
That's not 13 dollars. Those catalogs are shipped direct from China.That 13.10 is in chinese currency.

They for some reason don't take the time or effort to do any quality control.. They don't pass on this ifo..when people complain..they just keep selling the junk...stick to reputable sellers..

They've sent me 2 catalogs and both were shipped from Canada.

Wylde1.

I was thinking about getting their door handles.

Anybody have their door handles and care to share how they are holding up?

I got the sport mirrors for my Demon about 2 years ago,Mine are holding up very well.Car is parked in garage and does not see bad weather.

So far it's not looking good. I spoke to someone named Dave there yesterday. He seemed receptive to my comments but said it was the first report he'd ever had of such a problem (not sure whether he was lying or new), and that he would need to talk to the manager and get back to me within an hour...which didn't happen.

No call at all yesterday, and none all day today, so I called back towards the end of the day. Dave picked up again. I reminded him who I was and he said "Oh...yeah...I asked the manager and she said there's not much we can do for you because it's after thirty days."

I said "Oh. I see. May I please speak to the manager?"

Dave said "Well, it's after thirty days."

I said "Okeh, let me explain to you why it would be a good idea to let me talk to the manager. I've posted my experience with your product so far on several very high-volume internet forums, and there are a lot of people waiting to see how the story goes. You'd really much rather have the 'PGClassic made it right and took care of the situation for me' report than the 'PGClassic told me to go get stuffed' report. Which report gets published depends on whether I get to talk to the manager. May I speak to her, please?"

Dave said "Hold on."

(all this time, I could hear a TV set blaring in the background. Unprofessional, much?)

Dave came back on the line and said "She's on the phone...I'll pass it to her again and she'll get back to you."

I said "Okeh, two things: When do you think she'll be calling? I want to keep the phone line clear so we don't wind up missing each other. And how come you didn't call me back yesterday as you said you would?"

Dave said "Oh, she was going to call you."

Me: "The manager was going to call me?"

Dave: "Uh...yes."

Me: "The same manager you were just having a hard time deciding whether or not I could speak to, or some other manager?"

Dave: "Uh...we only have one manager."

Me: "Okeh, just checking. So when do you think she'll be calling?"

Dave: "Probably really soon."

Me: "Okeh, thanks. Bye."

Perhaps Ms. Manager will call tomorrow, but I doubt it. So far, my impression is that PGClassic are a bunch of clowns selling poorly-made garbage.

Okay let's start the pool...I say 20 to 1 she doesn't call...LMAO

This is NOT encouraging.... especially since they are doing those `68 Headlight bezels that are calling my name. I hope they "make it right...".

BTW: I bought my door handles from VANS Restorations. They sell the `68-9 Black button handles for about $130 a pair. With no pitting after 2 years.

You da' man Dan.

I hope they see this and you get the call from an eager manager with replacement parts on the way with a lifetime guarantee.

They better treat you right otherwise they will be hiring Rick from Laysons to teach them how to mend a screwed up reputation.

For starters PG is not a manufacturer they are a retailer that works with a couple of other retailers to create a catalogue of available parts BEA Restorations is one of their marketing partners that is why some things are shipped directly and some have an extra shipping charge { door sill plates for example have an extra $20 shipping charge } ,secondly if you talk to Peter he will do what he can but if the part has a 30 day warranty and your 30 days are up then as someone else mentioned you get what you pay for ,maybe you should restore an origional part at 10 times the cost because you got what you bought , lastly I too have had problems with some of their parts , the Abody exterior handles I got would have probably worked on some cars but the rounded exterior of a second gen barracuda meant they stuck up at a 30 degree angle instead of being perpendicular to the ground ,Peter took them back and deducted the cost from the order I was placing when I called which was more than fair given that I had bought a part that I knew was Chinese and much cheaper than rechroming a pitted old one { Cudaspaz -call Vans they have the good ones and get a set of reinforcing backer plates while your at it -well worth the cost }

Thanks cannucky,
The backing plates sound like a good idea.

I guess that is for when kids hang on your door handles at car shows right?

-
Back