Picked up the Barracuda! Love my first early-A :)

-

1974DartSwinger

Reaction score
1966 Formula S Barracuda. 360 with original 273 commando intake/4bbl and valvecovers.

I love it! Put an easy 100 miles on her just today :) I have to say, as much as I like working on 'em, driving 'em is even better! Haha this is my first "turn-key" purchase so it's a big deal for me.

Couple questions: Where can I get a new choke pull off? It's got a carter AFB I believe. At first I thought the heat coil/divorced choke wasen't working right I think now its the pull off. The choke won't go off on its own so I just unhooked it and let her warm up a bit before going.

Also, this is my first 360, any tips to keep them happy as a semi-daily summer driver?
Will post some more pics later.
IMG_3738.jpg

CudaengineRside.jpg

Congrats :cheers: to the new purchase, it´s looking beatiful.

wow, nice car. I want another, but wife says no. Oh well, 2 will do for a while. Enjoy the new ride!!!

Really nice early-A "sleeper" you got there! Gotta love the early Barracuda looks.

Looks great! Congrats on the purchase. We need more pics. LOL Does it have the 273 intake and carb?

Yea lol the 360 has the stock 273 intake, carb, aircleaner and valve covers. It sounds sweet, nice 2 1/2 duels with turbo mufflers. Stock exhaust manifolds but I like the look, may keep my eye out for some 340 exhaust manifolds to port down the road. Not doing headers on this car.
Question: I don't really beat on my cars (except for at the strip!) but I like to have some fun. I noticed that when I "got into it" a little that the next light I stopped at it had a little rough idle. The idle is at 500/600rpm now. If I gave it a little gas it would level out fine. Does that sound like its running a tad rich? Maybe I'll crank it up to 700rpm. Thinking I might need to play with the mixture a little or the timing.

Any good sites for tuning carter AFB carbs? I'm used to holleys and the Klien carbs on my '71 honda Cb750 so forgive me! haha it's been a while since I played with anything carter/edelbrock

Yea lol the 360 has the stock 273 intake, carb, aircleaner and valve covers. It sounds sweet, nice 2 1/2 duels with turbo mufflers. Stock exhaust manifolds but I like the look, may keep my eye out for some 340 exhaust manifolds to port down the road. Not doing headers on this car.
Question: I don't really beat on my cars (except for at the strip!) but I like to have some fun. I noticed that when I "got into it" a little that the next light I stopped at it had a little rough idle. The idle is at 500/600rpm now. If I gave it a little gas it would level out fine. Does that sound like its running a tad rich? Maybe I'll crank it up to 700rpm. Thinking I might need to play with the mixture a little or the timing.

Any good sites for tuning carter AFB carbs? I'm used to holleys and the Klien carbs on my '71 honda Cb750 so forgive me! haha it's been a while since I played with anything carter/edelbrock

Try this site http://www.fugly-racing.com/?pid=2 , Fugly is a member of this board. I´m going try it his way later on this spring.
Click on the white pages on the sidebar..ahhh, I guess you´ll find what you need without any need of guidance?

Those chokes are pretty reliable if you don't fool with them. I the choke is truly bad, I've seen new (NOS) ones for sale on E-bay from time to time. More than likely it's an adjustment problem or the crossover is plugged and not allowing the choke to heat up. You can check that by touch (carefully!) After you fire the engine up cold, feel the intake around the choke well and see if it heats up fairly quickly. When warm it should be way to hot to touch so be aware. The choke pull-off only comes into play when the engine is at less than full operating temperature. The diaphram is easy to test. Pull the hose off and push the plunger in. Hold your finger over the hose nipple and release the plunger. It should stay were it is until you remove your finger from over the hole and it returns to it's original position. You adjust the amount of pull-off by bending the link between the pull-off and the choke plate tab. When the engine is cold, the choke should close completely after one pump of the throttle. After the engine fires up, the choke pull-off should move the choke plate open slightly to allow more air inside. Usually the adjustment is 3/16 to 1/4" or so but you may have to play with that for the best idle depending on your engine/carb specs and fuel used. I know, it's pretty low tech but once it's set correctly, you shouldn't have to mess with it again unless you modify something.

That looks like a really sweet ride. It should run well with the 360 too.
It is nice getting a turn-key that can be enjoyed immediately.

Hi,

The 1966 Barracuda has a 360 engine with a 273 intake. Does that
mean the the heads are also 273? I was wondering what the problems
are with putting a 340 or 360 into an early A-body then using 273 heads
and exhausts or if maybe upgrading the intake and heads with 340/360 heads and intake and then use the stock 273 exhaust are worth it? I know 340/360 exhaust manifolds are an issue

thanks

Hi,

The 1966 Barracuda has a 360 engine with a 273 intake. Does that
mean the the heads are also 273? I was wondering what the problems
are with putting a 340 or 360 into an early A-body then using 273 heads
and exhausts or if maybe upgrading the intake and heads with 340/360 heads and intake and then use the stock 273 exhaust are worth it? I know 340/360 exhaust manifolds are an issue

thanks
The 273 can't handle the 2.02 valves that are in a 340 head without notching the block for clearence. Since the valve is then shrouded, it defeats the purpose if having the bigger valves. If you use the stock 273 manifolds, it won't flow any better either and the port sizes are so much different in size that you have gasket sealing and flow problems. Going the other way and using the 273 heads on a 340 or 360 works fine. The only real drawback is the smaller valves and limit on high RPM flow. The stock early 340 exhaust manifolds have clearence problems in the early A's.

if its a 360 block it should have 360 heads on it, but I would pull the valve covers and check to be sure, the only problem with running a 360 with 273 intake and exhaust is the difference in port size, if your not racing and it runs fine I wouldn't worry about it, nice to see another 66!

The 273 intake port is smaller than the 360 head port. While not ideal, this mismatch is far better than a large port intake and a small port head, which would create a "step" in the path of gas flow. I doubt that somebody would put small port heads on a 360, it would be a step backwards performance wise. Being a 66, the factory intake would bolt directly onto 360 heads (64-65 would not) You would have to remove a valve cover and read the casting number to confirm which heads you have.

Assuming you have 360 heads, there is a detrimental exhaust port mismatch. The original 273 manifolds are quiet, fit great and flow so-so at best. Their port opening is notably smaller than the port on the the cylinder head. This means the exhaust gasses encounter a "step". Such a mismatch can be easily blended away by gasket matching, solving part of the problem. But no matter what, their small runners are restrictive and they will only support 300 hp on a good day.

Will the apparent combo you have now work? Yes, and it will move a little Barracuda around pretty good. What is your major impediment to increased performance? The exhaust system. Can you put a really nice exhaust system under an early A-body? Yes. Cheaply? well, not so much.

You have a nice car, drive it and enjoy it. Should you become bit by the modification bug, we'll all be here to help you spend your cash.

-
Back