Pickup Front Suspension Upgrades/Altering?

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has done front suspension upgrades to their pickups? I have a D150 that I am in the process of turning into a fulltime strip pickup with a W2 headed 360 with 4 speed. I already plan to upgrade the rear suspension with heavy-duty leaf springs (rate undetermined yet) with custom made caltrac style bars and double adjustable shocks. Now since this pickup is a longbed the weight bias is like 70-30, so not great. I want to find a front setup that will allow the front to raise and rock back into the rear suspension but not rebound super hard. Any suggestions on a route or parts?

Christine Picture 3.jpg

I use 67 to 69 Camaro Springs and shocks on my NHRA Record Holding Truck 81 to 89 style.
Many options available for that combo. Calvert bars and springs on back are flipped to on top of springs
My new 80 Truck will be finished and setting Records this Summer!

Last edited:
I use 67 to 69 Camaro Springs and shocks on my NHRA Record Holding Truck 81 to 89 style.
Many options available for that combo. Calvert bars and springs on back and flipped
My new 80 Truck will be finished and setting Records this Summer!
Factory suspension locations, just camaro springs on the coilover?

Factory location on Springs BUT just springs NOT Coilovers on my truck = Not NHRA stock legal to use coilovers!

PM me if I can help with anything.
There is a post on here somewhere of me knocking down the tree with
my truck!

PM me if I can help with anything.
There is a post on here somewhere of me knocking down the tree with
my truck!
Absolutely. Going to be a heck of a formula to get my longbed to hook up with how I want to build it. I will keep you in mind thank you

Get lower control arms from a van. It will drop it 2 1/2 inches. The spring pocket is deeper. Also put the rear on top of the springs. Just put new perches directly under the perches that are there. Cheap and good upgrade

Get lower control arms from a van. It will drop it 2 1/2 inches. The spring pocket is deeper. Also put the rear on top of the springs. Just put new perches directly under the perches that are there. Cheap and good upgrade
I think, the rear axle is over the the springs from the factory on 2wd trucks. I have also heard about using van lower control arms to lower it, but never knew why, now I do. (deeper spring pockets) I think 90/10 shocks up front will help with weight transfer too.

I have a housing here from a truck . The rear was under the springs 1971 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive. I would check you may find its under the springs. My friend Greg just lowered a 86 ram doing just what I mentioned. That is how I knew about the Van control arms.

I have a housing here from a truck . The rear was under the springs 1971 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive. I would check you may find its under the springs. My friend Greg just lowered a 86 ram doing just what I mentioned. That is how I knew about the Van control arms.
Now I have to check the axle position on 2wd Dodges. My 2000 2wd Dakota is definitely on top of the springs, but I'm pretty sure my 87 D250 2wd has the axle on top too. Maybe 71 & back WERE under the springs?

I went out to check my 87 D250 & the rear IS under the springs on that truck. Shouldn't have doubted you Oldmanmopar. P.S. Did you find a buyer for your compressor? Just curious.

Just checked my 87 2wd & rear axle IS under the springs. OOOOPPS!

Here what I did to my 76 D100, truck was only about 4" off the ground at the cross member, a lot of detailing to make it work

t68.JPG

-
Back