Pink 70 340 Duster goes for $62K on Mecum

-
Was this the one that went for 62K? If so that looks to be an exceptionally restored car and easy to see why it would be big big money:
1970 Plymouth Duster at Kissimmee 2024 as F70 - Mecum Auctions

I bet this one will be big money:
1971 Plymouth Duster at Kissimmee 2024 as S50 - Mecum Auctions
I think it was this one. Listed as a star car.:

1970 Plymouth Duster at Kissimmee 2024 as S76 - Mecum Auctions

Or this one:

1970 Plymouth Duster at Kissimmee 2024 as W110.1 - Mecum Auctions

1st of all this isn't a regular, run of the mill car. so you need to compare apples to apples. also, there's a reason auction cars bring so much money, they are unique examples of specific models that are "generally" held to higher standards than something joe dickhead on c'list is peddling.

saying that if regular car guys bid on it, that the numbers wouldn't be there is a BS argument. people will always want something different, special and unique-- and if that is what is attractive to them they will pay for it. for example see cheap burbon vs expensive limited run burbon.

the idea of return on investment isn't part of the discussion. yes, some people buy as an investment but many people buy because that's what they want, and nothing more.

i would agree that a low mileage 74 duster would be considered over priced at 40K, but if it's absolutely perfect and that's what somebody wants, then that's the going rate. would i pay that? no, because i don't like 74 dusters. that doesn't mean it's not worth it.

some prices have come down, but upper tier cars remain firmly priced. there has been some adjustment for what i personally thought were inflated prices, but it's not like stuff is coming down to 1994 1/2 prices hombre.
It was a slant 6 car and not originally pink. Even still, if it's a nice enough resto, it should bring a good bit. Evidently, someone thought it was worth what they paid.

It was a slant 6 car and not originally pink. Even still, if it's a nice enough resto, it should bring a good bit. Evidently, someone thought it was worth what they paid.
i did not know that it wasn't factory optioned pink/340 car. but to that end, your point still stands in that a well done resto should bring the big bucks and that's what somebody wanted and they thought it worth the price of admission.

i did not know that it wasn't factory optioned pink/340 car. but to that end, your point still stands in that a well done resto should bring the big bucks and that's what somebody wanted and they thought it worth the price of admission.
I'm not 100% sure that's the case. I was just saying what I had read in the other thread regarding it and took for granted whoever said that knew what they were talking about. If I'm wrong, my apologies. Either way, I can see a nicely restored A body in that price neighborhood, as they are not going down in value.

No duster is worth that

Man I wish I had a X for this ignorant statement.

You should probably tune in on Saturday then, because the high dollar cars aren't usually auctioned on Thursday...

It's the second one, lot W110.1, the other goes on Saturday
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 11.32.06 PM.png

Not the "star" car, VIN listed decodes as a /6 car originally. Doesn't appear to even have a fender tag on the fender. Looks super clean in the pictures, recent restoration.

If a 340 clone car brought $62k, it will be really interesting to see what that MCACN Concours Gold '71 340/4 speed brings on Saturday, or the other Moulin Rouge car.

Last edited:
It'd be embarassing for the buyer if they got the two cars mixed up, assuming they bought an award winning purebred, only to find out it's a tribute show pony.

It'd be embarassing for the buyer if they got the two cars mixed up, assuming they bought an award winning purebred, only to find out it's a tribute show pony.

Outside of being pink there isn't much the same about them. Plus, I'd think if I was going to an auction with $62k burning a hole in my pocket I'd know which day the car I wanted was being auctioned on. But maybe some rich bastard couldn't be bothered and just saw the pink car?

Like I said, it'll be interesting to see what the cars going on Friday and Saturday bring.

could you even imagine? i mean, totally a possibility. three day bender with coke and whores and just pulling the trigger because your lizard brain was all: pink car, that's what we came for. buy!

****, who amongst us hasn't gotten wine drunk and pulled the trigger on some farkle off ebay only to wake up groggy and a few hundy lighter?

could you even imagine? i mean, totally a possibility. three day bender with coke and whores and just pulling the trigger because your lizard brain was all: pink car, that's what we came for. buy!

****, who amongst us hasn't gotten wine drunk and pulled the trigger on some farkle off ebay only to wake up groggy and a few hundy lighter?
Happens a bit, I bet but unfortunately most times it's intentional.

Man I wish I had a X for this ignorant statement.

You should probably tune in on Saturday then, because the high dollar cars aren't usually auctioned on Thursday...

It's the second one, lot W110.1, the other goes on Saturday
View attachment 1716190999

Not the "star" car, VIN listed decodes as a /6 car originally. Doesn't appear to even have a fender tag on the fender. Looks super clean in the pictures, recent restoration.

If a 340 clone car brought $62k, it will be really interesting to see what that MCACN Concours Gold '71 340/4 speed brings on Saturday, or the other Moulin Rouge car.
Here's you a niceun. Save it. Use it. Keep the red X alive. lol

DISAGREE.png

And you can't get into the back seat. They covered the seat latch up when the recovered the seat...lol

It might take some time, but you guys have to admit that the duster isn't worth it
No matter what you think it was.
Price what getting a good car is and making it like that. Add in some cash for doing so. It is what happens when you build cars to sell. You have a job and car builder's have one to.
More than one person wanted that car, offered money for big and paid for a nice car done, same as someone who wants a 60K truck.
Would I buy a 60K truck no but plenty do every day all year.
And there is quality and not so good. If that is the car I think it was it was worth it.

Get a car Dan before you judge other's. Or give advice on cars and how they should be.
All the cars you looked at but were not good were probably sold to someone who paid the 1000_5000 more You do dicked around saying was not worth.
It was since someone paid it.
Ever own a business?

A friend built a nice 71 318 A/C car. Original FM3 rust free. Put 340 (mild) very nice car. Guy bought it was happy, seller happy. Sold for 340 money Was worth it to buyer. Silly as sounds some guys dont care what numbers are there. It was high quality and that was what mattered to.that one buyer. It was what he wanted and had cash. And he could have sold it to others who were disappointed it was gone.

Last edited:
since when are you the arbitrator of the value of dusters?
To be an arbitrator, would mean he sets the value on Dusters.
He has an opinion on it's value just like everyone else on this thread.
So, if you are shopping for a Duster and a guy is selling a run of the mill /6 Duster with o.k. paint,etc and wants $26k for it. Are you going to say to yourself ' I'm not an arbitrator of Duster values so, I'll pay the $26k' ?

If you don't think a pink 70 Duster sold at a overhyped/over priced TV car auction is worth $62 large then so be it. The 2 buyers at the auction obviously did or they wouldn't have bid it up so far. Effective marketing strategy on the part of the auction companies to infuse alcohol in the mix. :lol:

In the open market on FABO is it worth that much? You can try but you'll either get laughed off the site or it will never sell. We all know what they are worth whatever that number is. Mid to late $30's seem to be the norm. Some exceptional cars creep into the $40's.

If you're selling, that's what they are worth. If you're buying, HELL NO! :lol:

Last edited:
To be an arbitrator, would mean he sets the value on Dusters.
He has an opinion on it's value just like everyone else on this thread.
So, if you are shopping for a Duster and a guy is selling a run of the mill /6 Duster with o.k. paint,etc and wants $26k for it. Are you going to say to yourself ' I'm not an arbitrator of Duster values so, I'll pay the $26k' ?
only one problem, dan's opinion is not based in reality.

re: your hypothetical question of a 26K duster. while i am not a proclaimed arbitrator of duster values, or any car really, like any sane person i would take a look at the comps before making a decision on value before parting with my hard earned cash.

maybe i have a client that wants exactly that run of the mill /6 duster with okay paint and ho-hum options and slightly worn interior because it's *exactly* like the one their mom had when they were young and they're willing to pay way, way, over what most other people would consider market value for that specific reason.

only one problem, dan's opinion is not based in reality.

re: your hypothetical question of a 26K duster. while i am not a proclaimed arbitrator of duster values, or any car really, like any sane person i would take a look at the comps before making a decision on value before parting with my hard earned cash.

maybe i have a client that wants exactly that run of the mill /6 duster with okay paint and ho-hum options and slightly worn interior because it's *exactly* like the one their mom had when they were young and they're willing to pay way, way, over what most other people would consider market value for that specific reason.
So you agree that Dan is just giving his opinion.

"any sane person i would take a look at the comps before making a decision on value"
Dan claims to do the very same thing by looking at Marketplace and CL. So, he must be sane and as such; realistic in his assessment.

His opinion does not fit your exclusionary imaginary example so, that's reason enough for the FABO wolf pack to circle around and pounce.

By the way, you forgot to factor in the inebriated playboy with a giant wad of cash trying to impress his new girlfriend with his copious vintage car knowledge. And paying $65k for a '78 Aspen with Roadrunner decals.

So you agree that Dan is just giving his opinion.

"any sane person i would take a look at the comps before making a decision on value"
Dan claims to do the very same thing by looking at Marketplace and CL. So, he must be sane and as such; realistic in his assessment.

His opinion does not fit your exclusionary imaginary example so, that's reason enough for the FABO wolf pack to circle around and pounce.

By the way, you forgot to factor in the inebriated playboy with a giant wad of cash trying to impress his new girlfriend with his copious vintage car knowledge. And paying $65k for a '78 Aspen with Roadrunner decals.
no, dan couched his option as fact, which is frequently his method of attempting to wield some knowledge that he thinks may be useful (fun fact, it frequently is not and almost always flawed to boot). dan is not a realistic person, and has gained any derision on his own merit.

to your last point, i covered that in post #34

-
Back