Pistons won’t come out

-

gzig5

Reaction score
I’m trying to tear down my 273 short block. Got number One and two rods loose and started pushing the pistons out from the bottom and they stopped going when the second ring came out to top of the block. I’ve tried tapping with a wooden dowel on the pin boss from underneath but I can’t seem to get them to budge any further. Everything is loose the motor turns over easily the pistons are rattling around or turning in the bos just fine. There is a very light ridge at the top but you can hardly cut anything on it so I don’t know why they’re not coming out. Any thoughts?

66486E5D-30B9-4606-B50B-7306095F913C.jpeg

A0FDF029-9C24-4907-B871-11334E7DA064.jpeg

Tap it a little harder. If you don't have a ridge reamer at least scrape any carbon off the ridge area with a knife or scraper. If you tap too hard you may break a piston but are you planning on reusing them anyway. They look like the 4 barrel pistons from here.

Use a decent piece of wood put it on the underside of the piston and give it a good whack with a hammer. They'll pop outta there! 65'

I use the ring compressor and got them back down in the hole so I’ll push them further in and clean up that carbon on top as best I can. I guess I’m just really surprised at that light ridge that doesn’t look to have a sharp edge just catching that oil ring. Good learning experience though

Well I blew the wood dowel apart. Using a 5 pound hammer with an aluminum bar now and I still can’t get that thing to move. unbelievable

Maybe take the compression rings off and push it back in so you can take some of the edge of the ridge?

The rod isn't hanging on the bottom of the bore by chance?

Last edited:
Sometimes it's easier to bust the piston. Drill some holes in the top and use a chisel to break it up!

Well I blew the wood dowel apart. Using a 5 pound hammer with an aluminum bar now and I still can’t get that thing to move. unbelievable
Is the rod still connected to the crank? :poke::poke::lol::lol:

I’ll throw the Sombitch in the garbage before I spend money on tools to take it apart. I got number one out. I took an 80 grit sanding roll and ran it around the top edge of the bore and took the ridge out. It still fought me but it came out. Now on to number 2.

3D951FD8-B4DF-4333-ABD0-A1151146EF60.jpeg

Definitely clean the ridge , penatrating fluid let it soak ,tap,tap,tap …..

I won. Everything is out in relatively good shape. #1 got peened a little but I think it will live. Need to get the pistons cleaned up but if I remember correctly they were already 30 over so the block isn’t worth much it have to go to 60 over probably to clean up from that ridge and my grinding.

9B74D139-C2CD-4F96-A6A4-C1EA57381D0E.jpeg

BA7257FE-7937-45C4-8764-060698D371AF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll throw the Sombitch in the garbage before I spend money on tools to take it apart. I got number one out. I took an 80 grit sanding roll and ran it around the top edge of the bore and took the ridge out. It still fought me but it came out. Now on to number 2.

View attachment 1715861194
You have no business pulling an engine apart if you don't have a reamer in your toolbox. :BangHead:

Bah. Ridge reamer is overrated.
And now;
because you didn't ridge-ream the block ............... and made a mess; you are looking at .060 overbore? instead of .040; Is that right? I mean jus asking for a friend.

At this point, if the pistons are re-useable, it might be cheaper, or better, IDK, to procure another block. If you lived next door, I'd be inclined to give you one.

Or maybe you'd rather have a 340..... lol. But not giving that away....
I could throw in a ridge-reamer.

-
Back