Pistons

-

demoncar71

Reaction score
These are the pistons on my 71 360, motor was done about 20 plus yrs ago, trying to figure out if they are low compression or not, I have no receipts or info since I traded the build for a truck, any help?

20191108_151449.jpg

I’d say yes they are BUT you will have to do the math on it. How many cc’s are the valve reliefs? How far down the hole? Head gasket thickness and diameter? Cylinder head cc amount, bore and stroke?

This is what the calculators need for your static compression ratio.

It is possible to get a good high performance ratio out of those.

I've never seen factory 360 pistons that weren't dished. but those might as well be cuz the eyebrows are huge and there are way too many of them.lol.
But they sure are clean for their age!

Those look like a Sealed Power piston. I ran those zero deck, 1008 Fel Pro gasket, 65 cc open J head, figured to be 9.5 to 1.

Ill call them higher compression due to the fact that they have valve reliefs and higher material around them? Stock 360's had no reliefs. Claimed 8.8 CR with Edelbrock heads, posted cc of relief is -10cc
Sealed Power Hypereutectic Piston Small Block Chrysler 360
Part Number: 844-H405CP40

844-h405cp40.jpg

Ill call them higher compression due to the fact that they have valve reliefs and higher material around them? Stock 360's had no reliefs. Claimed 8.8 CR with Edelbrock heads, posted cc of relief is -10cc

View attachment 1715420588

Ding ding, right on. That's the range too, 8-9comp.

I've never seen factory 360 pistons that weren't dished. but those might as well be cuz the eyebrows are huge and there are way too many of them.lol.
But they sure are clean for their age!
I cleaned them up, lol, but this engine only has about 3 hrs run time

View attachment 1715420588

Thanks, that's what I was looking for, only thing I knew of the build was the 284/484 cam I chose

There is one on that is not dished for a 360
Will search for went I get home tonight
I am pretty sure it is not available. Sealed power pn

I've ran those before, good low performance piston. With a 9.6 deck height block, 70cc heads, .040 head gasket you'll be in the 8.5 range.

measure deck to piston top and report
best to seal around the rings and put a piece of Plexiglas with a hole and measure cc
use alcohol with some die or whatever
then with gasket and head you can get a really close comp ratio

-
Back